The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa Vs Newcastle Match Thread

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Aston Villa Vs Newcastle Match Thread

Post by 4BetLite on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:16 pm

We were not good for 55mins......but, they didn't score, we scored for them, we hit the post or it was tipped away( I couldn't tell ), we had a goal disallowed, they should have been down to 10 men inside 30mins.

We showed encouraging spirit after the changes.... Rudy, Tish and RHM made a difference. We miss RossMac a lot and we need bacuna and westwood on the bench or at home (they tried but they are not good enough).

RDM brings Rudy on and takes off Adomah, I don't get this! Takes off a winger and brings on a target man, come on man.
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Bloody shame Ayew's shot didn't go in. Was a nice piece of skill. What we in Norway call a Cornet. Razz
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm feeling fairly positive, after a woeful first half performance which could have seen us two or three down. The performance 2nd half, pretty much after the disallowed goal, was immense. Last year we'd have lost 3 or 4 nil.

I think Newcastle pressed us really high up the pitch which led to a few errors and their goal. They seemed to have a lot more energy than us first half. RDM really needs to work out why.

I was fairly impressed with Adomah. He got forward in wide areas and also tracked back, and his through-ball to Kodjia early on could (should?) have seen us go a goal up.

Elphick has been the kind of player we've been crying out for, so we can forgive him the odd bad game. Like I said, they had a game plan to press our 3 centre backs so they never had time to bring our wide players into the game.

It all seems to be about Tish though. Whatever the opposition or formation we seem to go up a level when he's in the team. It seems as though he makes everyone look better. He just gets us on the front foot and driving forward. The fitness coaches and medical staff need to come up with a plan to keep him fit and available, cos he looks like the signing of the Summer to me.

Kodjia was an absolute beast for the last 30 mins. That run he went on, where he got brought down and the lino put his flag up, but he just got up and powered on! That really gave the crowd a lift, but although I've called him a beast, he's actually quite skillful with the ball at his feet.

And what a shame Ayew's shot hit the post. That would have been a goal worthy of winning any match. He again, came to life once Tish was on the field.

I was fearing a drubbing today and after that 1st half I was expecting it. To see us battle back and win a point and the way we performed for that last half hour, I'm feeling hopeful again.

Mind you, as they say, it's the hope that kills ya.  Rolling Eyes
Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa Ranger on Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:53 pm

@4BetLite wrote:we hit the post or it was tipped away( I couldn't tell ),

Goalie nowhere near it mate. Straight off the post.

Villa Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:04 pm

@Villa Ranger wrote:They seemed to have a lot more energy than us first half. RDM really needs to work out why.

Elphick has been the kind of player we've been crying out for, so we can forgive him the odd bad game.

So true on both accounts.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by mefromhere on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:19 pm

Elphick has been great ... but any professional footballer using his right foot to try and clear that is ridiculous. You wouldn't get away with that at park level.

We have too many forwards, and no idea who the best are
mefromhere

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:57 pm

Is tshibola out for a game now after his reserve game red card. He's so important to us. Played all Rotherham game and we won. Hes going to be wicked for us. Kodjia also. He has really impressed me since he came. Him and Rmc will score goals for us.
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:30 am

Tish will miss the Wolves game

DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by Wookster on Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:45 am

Disgusted with the so called coverage of the game on the Changel 5 highlights show. All we got was a closing sequence with them saying " the division big guns today cancelled themselves out, goodbye"

Though MOTD treated us bad playing us last but we never got spot on the show. Only good thing is not hearing that tit Holly oak moan
Wookster

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger on Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:10 am

@mefromhere wrote:Elphick has been great ... but any professional footballer using his right foot to try and clear that is ridiculous. You wouldn't get away with that at park level.

It wasn't ridiculous mate he had no chance to change his stride pattern so he went with his only option of trying to block it.
Unfortunately we know the outcome but to me it seemed he done the right thing but was just unfortunate.
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:09 am

@Joppe84 wrote:
@Con wrote:
@De Kuip wrote:And unless injured grealish should have started. I literally don't care about his partying - we simply don't have the luxury of punishment by omission. Our squad is already as thin as tinker''s tarmac, and half of what's available is dogshit

to be fair he's not going to be the next Gareth Bale with his current behaviour. Bale was always the ultimate professional. if Grealish cannot be more professional he will be worth very little to us even when he gets good.

I think Grealish and Ayew are the same shite of footballers. They are good players, but highly ineffective. They stand around move 2 yards up and 3 yards back, they do a flick or something and they nearly lose the ball. It all looks fancy enough, but what's effective football is getting the ball wide. Run to the byline. Cross it in and create some pressure. It not only takes away all the breaks and counter attacks on us, but it utilizes the size of Gestede and Kodjia much more.

We need to figure out what type of football we want to play and it has to be more direct. Faster, more cynical and way more effective. The amount of times I see a winger (Adomah or Amavi today) stand utterly alone asking for the ball only for us to move it back and side to side before we either lose it or pass it out wide WAY too late, so the pace Adomah or Amavi had was all gone. Just absolutely astounding that professional footballers can be so fucking stupid.

Grealish could have been (and maybe still could) the next big thing but I honestly believe that our coaching is complete shit. At all levels.

I know he's only been there for a couple of months but Clark didn't seem to put a foot wrong for Newcastle. Now either that was his 1 in 10 good games like he'd have for us or he's actually learning something worthwhile in training.

I've yet to see any evidence that our squad trains!
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:12 am

RDM bottled it yesterday, the performances are steadily getting worse, Newcastle should of been out of sight before our late rally!
Mistake 1, realising the formation wasn't working 15 minutes in & waiting until half time to change things.
Mistake 2, having wasted 45minutes with a formation that wasn't working & finally taking off a centre back, Elphick looked a Sunday morning player yesterday, Chester had been booked, so what does he do, he takes the best of the three off in Baker?
Mistake 3, how did Jedinak appear for the second half, let alone last the whole 90 minutes, from what I have seen so far, he is a very poor signing & I thought he was going to be really good for us, I am no fan of Deadwood, but even he was having a better game than Jedi.
Mistake 4; Kodija tore Forest a new one coming in from the right hand side two weeks ago, when he turns & runs at the opposition, he looks a threat, it was only when Kodija was moved did we look any threat.
RDM proved to me, he doesn't have the bollocks to make the "tough" decisions & he either has to change or we need to change him.
Make no mistake, we got out of jail yesterday, RDM may well of got out of jail too, he needs to grow some & fast!
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:33 am

@villabill that's how I saw it too. I thought Baker was a rock and Elphick cagey as hell. And the 3-5-2 should have been re-arranged early doors.

And when the balls were coming in from the wing meaning our best option was Gestede, he takes off the player supplying those balls in.

I'll have to give the manager the benefit of the doubt and hope Adomah was taken off due to being knackered. RDM also saved his job for another week with our goal. For 60 minutes we loomed like shit. Total, utter, toilet.

The referee was something special though. They were climbing a over our players and nothing got done. Whilst I don't think it was a penalty - it was a shoulder-to-shoulder challenge that Tish made the most of - there's no way it was deserving of a yellow card for simulation. And where did only 6 mins of added on time come from? I reckon 8-9 would have been more realistic.

The officials in this league are absolutely attricious.

A mention for the dickhead commentator too who chose to mention that we've failed to beat Newcastle in our last ten meetings. Not that they failed twice to beat the worst pile of shit ever assembled in the premier league. He also said their keeper had nothing to save in the first half. Even though he pulled off two crucial saves.

Net result: RDM lives to fight another day but I'm convinced he's only buying time here. I see nothing in his team selections, formations,  tactics or overall play that lead me to think he's anything other than distinctly average. At the 60 minute mark, I'm thinking we're going to be in a relegation scrap. The end of the game gave me some hope for midtable.

The Fat Spanish Waiter will be absolutely furious with his players and seemed highly animated. RDM looked disinterested and lost.

Last edited by Trotters on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:06 am

@Boldfinger wrote:
@mefromhere wrote:Elphick has been great ... but any professional footballer using his right foot to try and clear that is ridiculous. You wouldn't get away with that at park level.

It wasn't ridiculous mate he had no chance to change his stride pattern so he went with his only option of trying to block it.
Unfortunately we know the outcome but to me it seemed he done the right thing but was just unfortunate.

Forget stride patterns etc he was that close he only had to step into it and let it hit him and it would have gone out for a corner, it probably would have anyway if he had'nt put his wrong foot to it.
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:15 pm

Well there is a bit of bad luck from earlier in the season equaled out? Barcodes should have been out of sight by half time? I am worried that we went into a home game playing like an away side? 3 at the back was woeful last game when he used and no better now?

I do think RDM is weak tactically and I am hugely worried? This however is the first time in a long time we have pinched a draw!

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Did anyone else see an awful lot of slips from the players? Seems to me the watering of the pitch has gotten a bit carried away.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:14 pm

@Trotters wrote:Did anyone else see an awful lot of slips from the players? Seems to me the watering of the pitch has gotten a bit carried away.
I have always been bemused by the amount of watering that goes on. Surely the pitch is not that bloody dry.
Mind you, because of the severe heat over here all the pitches are 3G astro turf with the rubber granules on it and they water the hell out of them, not for any other reason than to prevent nasty burns to the skin from skidding along the astro turf. Kin mucho ouch and no skin left.
NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:31 pm

With the Villa Park surface being half artificial (it is, right?), maybe that's why they water it.

But it still looked overdone to me.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I agree with a lot of the above assessments of RDM. Apparently he's not a "hands on" manager and lets the coaches do all the training. I've never understood that approach myself, but I don't have any examples of good or bad managers that adopt this style.

As for replacing RDM part of me feels it's a little early and would be a bit of a knee jerk reaction. In the first few games we were generally good but didn't take our chances. However over the last three games we seem to have lost our way and I'm not sure what we seem to be trying to achieve. We seem to be trying to play a passing game, but we're not backing it up with enough urgency or bite.

As Joppe said above, we need to be more direct. Gestede has his faults, but getting the ball wide quickly and then hitting good crosses
to him will cause problems for most defences. The other advantage of this is that this style of play has always got the crowd going at Villa Park. A rocking Villa Park gets teams rattled and our lot up for it, as was demonstrated for the final 20 minutes yesterday.

DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:16 pm

@Trotters wrote:With the Villa Park surface being half artificial (it is, right?), maybe that's why they water it.

Correct mate. Fibres are knitted into the actual turf. This prevents wear and tear and hence Villa Parks pitch looking good all year round. Same applies to BMH. The cost of these pitches is huge.
http://www.greenfields.eu/football-pitch/
NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Post by mefromhere on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:41 pm

@Boldfinger wrote:

Had no chance to change his stride pattern!? Are you for real? The only choice he had was "left foot or right foot?" He got it wrong. Then 5 minutes later he did it again on a diagonal ball which luckily he missed and it went out for a goal kick.

A professional footballer that does that IS ridiculous
mefromhere

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger on Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:53 pm

@mefromhere wrote:
@Boldfinger wrote:

Had no chance to change his stride pattern!? Are you for real? The only choice he had was "left foot or right foot?" He got it wrong. Then 5 minutes later he did it again on a diagonal ball which luckily he missed and it went out for a goal kick.

A professional footballer that does that IS ridiculous
Yes I am for real.
What I mean is that it is obvious to us all that he should have just got body between ball and man and just made 100% sure he put it out for a corner but he tried to kick it out with his stronger foot. I ain't defending him because he Defo had a poor game and made some wrong decisions.
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:08 am

Really disappointed in Jedinaks performance. Maybe that hideous beard is draining all his football brains.
Very bad from all in first half, but still...VTID
WendyOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:14 am

@WendyOz wrote:Really disappointed in Jedinaks performance. Maybe that hideous beard is draining all his football brains.
Very bad from all in first half, but still...VTID

I was disappointed in him too Wendy. His short passing was awful, however when he picked out a long pass he was very good. Over all he looked a little slow, almost too relaxed. Perhaps his sharpness will come when he's more sure of the players around him. As you say though, at half time I would have dropped nearly all of them.

DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 am

@NARLA24 wrote:
@Trotters wrote:With the Villa Park surface being half artificial (it is, right?), maybe that's why they water it.

Correct mate. Fibres are knitted into the actual turf. This prevents wear and tear and hence Villa Parks pitch looking good all year round. Same applies to BMH. The cost of these pitches is huge.
http://www.greenfields.eu/football-pitch/

Are we talking pitches or Rooney's barnet here?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum