The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The next Villa Manager

+48
WendyOz
worcesterkev
South London Villan
Dgrizzle7
achilles
Barabass
Boldfinger
villajk
thegaffer6
Gordonsleftboot
Peter
mefromhere
Con
big ming
Wookster
Army villain
CoE82
avfcjoe
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
jeffvilla
danclare82
gdav
Synopsis
shanghaivilla
VTID85
Saunders82
4BetLite
andrew24561
De Kuip
Villa Ranger
boltblaster
nickf21
Cha Ching
FoxyAV
Dions_Bald_Head
smetro
Dazzle
DelboyVilla
Terry Derry
The Utterer
deadbuzzardalive
Trotters
BillytheKid
Wriggle
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
NARLA24
52 posters

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next

Go down

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 Empty Re: The next Villa Manager

Post by NARLA24 Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:10 pm

Barabass wrote:Fair enough and not a bad choice either. I could see him coming to us and potentially having a good few seasons leading us towards to top half of the prem.
He has obviously gone for the quality of football then eh
NARLA24
NARLA24

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Barabass Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:16 pm

If it's true that Dr X had told Steve Round that money is no object as far as paying compensation is concerned (and I'd also imagine wages is included in this) when finding the right manager, how about appointing someone like Mancini?
Barabass
Barabass

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:16 pm

I keep wavering from thinking we need someone solid who could steady the ship, knows or has had Championship experience and gets us where we need to be/what we need to be, for at least the remainder of the season. That (slightly depressingly) would be a bruce/allardyce/McCarthy or less depressingly Houghton, to thinking we could gamble and go for someone left field, such as Pako Ayestaran who has just parted company with Valencia. problem is that he could just as easily be another Remi Garde as he could be a Pochettino. didn't Poch go to saints after leaving a Spanish club (Espanyol maybe?). Ayestaran didn't set the world on fire with Valencia, but to be fair they've sold a load of their best players, so he had a lot less to work with than that twat Neville. Another gamble would have been Flores, but that ship has sailed as he's signed a 3 year contract with Espanyol. A final gamble could be Andre Breitenreiter who has left Schalke 04 and I think is available.
Then I think there's the other group, between the two extremes risk-wise, who would - I believe - do a great job, but have more doubt around them coming to us, such as Dyche, Wagner, Dean Smith, Rowett.
To be honest, any from the first group would not fill me with any joy. From the second group, any would worry me as I don't know if we're robust enough as a club to spin the wheel of fortune again (we've had more managers than wins in the last 2 years), but if I was going to gamble it would be Breitenreiter.
So that leaves me with the "preferred but in doubt of getting" group. Of them, Dyche, without a moment's hesitation, then in order of next preference: Wagner, Rowett, Smith.

I said originally I think the club would appoint big Sam, but there's been nary a whisper on that front (I wonder if it's the honour thing with the Chinese - don't want to be associated with someone who so recently has been in the shit, reputationally), so I think we'll end up with Bruce.

Bollocks, just painted myself into a corner there haven't I? I really hate that fat Geordie sugarbag.
 lol!  Laughing at You
De Kuip
De Kuip

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Dions_Bald_Head wrote:It's a massive opportunity for Wagner - big club, big investment, owner with big ideas; and all without being thrown into the cutthroat PL. I would also argue that he there'd be less pressure on him than there was with RDM - the expectation of promotion has been replaced by bloody-well winning games for a change.

I seriously doubt that he'd rule himself out without hearing the offer & giving it some serious thought.

Totally agree with this, he would be a fool just to dismiss the opportunity out of hand.
achilles
achilles

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Twitter rumours that we are talking to Wagner tomorrow? Any truth do we think?

He's 7/2 on with coral and as low as 2/1 elsewhere
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:Twitter rumours that we are talking to Wagner tomorrow? Any truth do we think?

He's 7/2 on with coral and as low as 2/1 elsewhere

I bloody hope it's true. On the surface he looks a good fit for what the stated aims of the club are. Quite what he'll make of our CMs will be interesting...........I think he'd be asking for a few quid in January to address the CM problem!
Dazzle
Dazzle

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:08 pm

I hope it's true about the Wagner interest, would make a fine manager IMO and by far the best choice.

One the other hand Steve Bruce has been spotted in Hansworth this afternoon.

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 Ct7vid10

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 498107619
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Interesting to see that Xia says that we had limited time and options in June. Kind of suggests that it won't be Bruce, as he was an option in the summer (when options were apparently limited) and we didn't go for him then.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:58 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Interesting to see that Xia says that we had limited time and options in June. Kind of suggests that it won't be Bruce, as he was an option in the summer (when options were apparently limited) and we didn't go for him then.

To be fair, it doesn't rule him out. Bruce didn't leave Hull until the 3rd week of July, only 2 weeks before our 1st game and a full 8 weeks after we appointed RDM
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:02 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Interesting to see that Xia says that we had limited time and options in June. Kind of suggests that it won't be Bruce, as he was an option in the summer (when options were apparently limited) and we didn't go for him then.

I woyldnt say he was an option, as he was at hull till august I think, and by then we had decided RDM was the new messiah, all I want is someone thats gonna give our lazy arse players a kick up the arse, our last few managers have been to soft, and while the good Dr is looking for a manager maybe he can look for some free agent midfielders.
CoE82
CoE82

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Didn't realise Bruce left that late. If anything then it would more point towards it perhaps being him. Although I think Xia might also be referring to the fact that Round wasn't at the club at that time, and therefore we didn't have all the candidates that he might have in mind during the summer.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:12 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Didn't realise Bruce left that late. If anything then it would more point towards it perhaps being him. Although I think Xia might also be referring to the fact that Round wasn't at the club at that time, and therefore we didn't have all the candidates that he might have in mind during the summer.

Could also mean the time needed to assess the squad and make signings before the season creeps up on them. We were all pretty desperate for a new manager to be announced by the start of June, if they'd waited until July I think we would've been clawing at the walls!
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:24 pm

I still think it will be Bruce. - but the papers can't keep printing that.They need stories.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:53 pm

Dirty Harry said on Talksport yesterday he would take the Villa job without pay if he didn't get us to the playoffs, only after securing a play off place would he expect paying.
I don't like Dirty Harry, but he does produce attractive successful teams (on the whole) & you have to admire his confidence in coming out with his no pay statement.
I don't think we can take a chance on a young and promising manager, the stats don't lie, Bruce tends to get promotion.
And as for a future template & philosophy of our club, can we just start by winning a few games, a 1-0 win with only 10% possession with the winner coming off a deflection from Rudi's backside will do.
I don't like the idea but I think Steve Bruce will get the job, he probably has the best track record for a promotion push.
How that appointment will go down with the Holte, McGrath only knows?
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Fpuppys Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:23 pm

We have 11 players out on International duty, my guess is Steve Clarke will be in charge for the Wolves game if were aiming for Bruce otherwise if it's Wagner then it should be done ASAP or Huddersfield will be in shit street trying to find a new manager and I don't think he's the sort of chap to do that.
Fpuppys
Fpuppys

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:32 pm

We've been switching managers so much lately I just write "next A" and next aston villa manager pops up in my browser. Either it's google or I haven't cleared my cookies for a long time, not sure what's worse

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:49 pm

Fpuppys wrote:We have 11 players out on International duty, my guess is Steve Clarke will be in charge for the Wolves game if were aiming for Bruce otherwise if it's Wagner then it should be done ASAP or Huddersfield will be in shit street trying to find a new manager and I don't think he's the sort of chap to do that.

...and we still can't win games!!! The next Villa Manager - Page 20 1327487109
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by ember Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:51 pm

4BetLite wrote:

Fack me, what the hell happened to Ember? Where he at?

You need to stand in front of a mirror and say my name a few more times to find that out. The next Villa Manager - Page 20 226846862
ember
ember

Back to top Go down

Post by CoE82 Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:55 pm

VillaBill wrote:Dirty Harry said on Talksport yesterday he would take the Villa job without pay if he didn't get us to the playoffs, only after securing a play off place would he expect paying.
I don't like Dirty Harry, but he does produce attractive successful teams (on the whole) & you have to admire his confidence in coming out with his no pay statement.
I don't think we can take a chance on a young and promising manager, the stats don't lie, Bruce tends to get promotion.
And as for a future template & philosophy of our club, can we just start by winning a few games, a 1-0 win with only 10% possession with the winner coming off a deflection from Rudi's backside will do.
I don't like the idea but I think Steve Bruce will get the job, he probably has the best track record for a promotion push.
How that appointment will go down with the Holte, McGrath only knows?

As much as I cant see it, I do like Harry, I know he has a dodgy past, but we need a media friendly manager, our club is rotten to the core so maybe someone tge media love like harry might help, plus its not the same on deadline day without Harry mentioning every player from his car window.

And if he said he'd work for free if didn't get promoted or play offs it shows he has the balls to back himself.

if it was to be bruce surely he'd of been installed by this weekend at latest as he's a free agent, the more it drags on the more it points to a manager currently in a job.
CoE82
CoE82

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:02 pm

If your cookies were responsible Joppe, I'd expect something more....spicy to come up after next A.......... :)
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Haha indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:26 pm

ember wrote:
4BetLite wrote:

Fack me, what the hell happened to Ember? Where he at?

You need to stand in front of a mirror and say my name a few more times to find that out. The next Villa Manager - Page 20 226846862

Welcome back sunshine, we've been solid. lerner has gone.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:31 pm

The key thing is are the club still adamant that any manager we have this season has to have "Championship experience"? This is the key issue here. Now we know that that was a requirement before Round was appointed technical director, but does he follow that same philosophy I wonder? One paper I read today suggested that that was the case.

So if we look at the candidates from that point of view then the field of options are much easier to fathom.

Bruce
Wagner
Johnson
Jokanovic
Smith
Garcia
Clement
Carvalhal
Robinson

Those would be the realistic targets I'd say. Yes some might say "what if we threw money at the likes of Hughton, Neil or Rowett?" But for different reasons I can't see us going for those managers tbh. They all seem so settled in their small ponds to me.

The ones in bold I believe would all be attainable and be bring excitement to this club again tbh. I hope they take a long hard look at all of them.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by ember Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Fack me, what the hell happened to Ember? Where he at?[/quote]

You need to stand in front of a mirror and say my name a few more times to find that out. The next Villa Manager - Page 20 226846862 [/quote]

Welcome back sunshine, we've been solid. lerner has gone. [/quote]

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 4025243045 Beer Cheers, bud. Another key moment in our history coming up soon. Tony really needs to get this one right. He's done two things very much right so far. 1/ He consigned the jerk to the list of "previous owners" and 2/ He backed his manager with huge funds.

Unfortunately, hindsight has proven he made a ricket at point 1.5 - choice of manager. I was totally unenthusiastic at his appointment but wasn't as anti at all really. It seems that the naysayers were right. So, Tony, don't fuck up again. Being relegated was bad enough, to have it happen two seasons on the bounce, with probably the most expensive squad the Championship has seen, would be unbearable.

I don't know who it should be but they need to bring some serious topspin because by New Year we need to be in or around the top six. That person should also bring absolute prejudice against Westwood and Agbonlahor. The next Villa Manager - Page 20 3769219917
ember
ember

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:18 pm

PAT MURPHY HAS SPOKEN!!

Pat Murphy

At this stage the following are not under consideration for the @AVFCOfficial job... Allardyce, Pearson, McClaren, Giggs, Cotterill & Sherwood.

A 10 man list will be whittled down to 3 after due diligence & discreet soundings.No one tops that list at the moment.Bruce & SClarke on it.

Others on the list are currently employed elsewhere - you know who they are - so process could b protracted,with a club digging in its heels

Dr Tony will be directly involved when the list gets down to 3 while Messrs Little,Wyness & Round take soundings.Till then we'll just guess!

AND BREATH!!! Very Happy .

So basically the list is Bruce, Clarke, Wagner, Smith, Johnson etc etc. I'd hope Garcia, Calvarhal and Jokanovic are on it too.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

The next Villa Manager - Page 20 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next