The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Free Agents

+4
BillytheKid
Villa_Dan
DelboyVilla
De Kuip
8 posters

Go down

Free Agents Empty Free Agents

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Should we dip our toes into the free agent market just to reinforce any weak areas?

Players like these are available:-

GK: Steve Harper and Mark Schwarzer both old but very experienced?
DF: Wes Brown, Danny Collins, Sylvain Distin, Jose Enrique, Ryan Taylor, Richard Dunne
MF: Sessiegnon, Leon Osman, Diego Poyet, Flamini,
ST: Odemwinigie, Adebeyor,

This is a few of the players available for examples and maybe one or two could provide cover for the long season ahead? I would definitely go for Osman.
DelboyVilla

Free Agents 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Free Agents Empty Re: Free Agents

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:32 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:Should we dip our toes into the free agent market just to reinforce any weak areas?

Players like these are available:-

GK: Steve Harper and Mark Schwarzer both old but very experienced? No to both IMO - Harper is currently Goalkeeping coach at Newcastle, and neither have played a competitive game in over 12 months
DF: Wes Brown, Danny Collins, Sylvain Distin, Jose Enrique, Ryan Taylor, Richard Dunne Don't rate any of them tbh
MF: Sessiegnon, Leon Osman, Diego Poyet, Flamini Sessiegnon could be a good shout, he performed decent last season for the Boggies and would still have the legs for the championship. Poyet could be a decent young option and knows the league. Not a starting XI player for me though. Osman and Flamini no for me
ST: Odemwinigie, Adebeyor, No. Odemwingie is not good enough, Adebayor was recently turned down by Fulahm

This is a few of the players available for examples and maybe one or two could provide cover for the long season ahead? I would definitely go for Osman.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Free Agents 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:36 pm

Well I thought I would mention it?

We have used this system in the past with limited success, Pires and Sutton?

I'll get my coat
DelboyVilla

Free Agents 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:43 pm

I guess it depends on what you mean by competitive games Dan - I wonder if there are any keepers that we'd have like a shot that are number two in Prem or other top Euro clubs who haven't played in a competitive (ie first team) game for 12 months. They will have played reserve games though, if not. I wonder if Schwarzer has been playing, just not first team? If that's the case I can't see the difference in his playing time compared to the examples of number two keepers I've given above? I guess the problem is if he was released by leics at the end of last season, after making no first team appearances, what has he been doing since last May - that might be the crucial question? I still think I'd like to see Bunn get some game time whilst someone teaches Gollini to hang onto the fecking ball when it comes at him.
De Kuip
De Kuip

Free Agents 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:06 pm

Junior Hoillet and Joey O'Brien are free agents. I'd take a punt on them.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Free Agents 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:04 pm

We still have weak areas that need covering and waiting till January might cost us dear?
DelboyVilla

Free Agents 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:43 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:We still have weak areas that need covering and waiting till January might cost us dear?

I agree. I just don't think any of the keepers are up to scratch.

Sessegnon and Hoillet would both be worthwhile and offer options outwide, O'Brien would be decent cover for RB, Poyet is young and would give us options in midfield.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Free Agents 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:06 pm

I think we are incredibly vulnerable in central midfield. Sissoko is available it seems.

http://m.hulldailymail.co.uk/hull-city-news-and-rumours-momo-sissoko-a-free-agent-target-for-tigers/story-29683894-detail/story.html

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:08 pm

I would rather we blood Green, Lydon, and RHMurphy than sign older players, ok Hoilett is still relitvely young so worth a punt but my concern is CB cover GK cover and flair in the CAM role, Sessegnon would be ok but he is about 33 now and would want a 2 year deal, until the end of the season would be an ok deal for us though imo
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Free Agents 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:13 am

I think given the length of the season, the shit refs we've seen do far (suspensions), injuries, form, etc we definitely need a more capable squad.

Lyden, RHM and Green should be getting 10-15 mins at the end of matches that we've got stitched up but with the money that Xia has already poured in, my concern is that he cent want to do it again if we don't get promoted; I'm sure he'll happily put money in for the PL but despite come hrs that it's a 2 year project to get out of this league, it's pretty clear they want out in one.

If they're free agents then offset any long term contacts with a nice little sign on fee. I'm sure the club can come up with creative payment plans including promotion bonuses.

Definitely need a centre back as cover. Need a creative midfielder and a keeper. The keeper needs to be a first XI choice obviously.

Trotters
Trotters

Free Agents 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:11 am

Getting good cover at GK is always problematic. Outfield players can be tempted with promises of game time and knowing that if they do well they may get some starts. Also outfield players generally have more injuries and suspensions that open up opportunities. But goalkeepers are generally only changed due to injury or severe lack of form by the guy in place.

I know Gollini has had a few problems, mainly kicking/ decisions but I think we need to stick with him for now and hope that the confidence the coaches show in him by making that choice, in turn gives him more confidence. In the long term I think we have a good goalie there and he will hopefully grow with the team.
DaveAV1

Free Agents 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:36 am

Long term, yes.
But at the moment, we need now-term.
Trotters
Trotters

Free Agents 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:18 pm

I think Gollini will be fine even now Trotts. Not perfect but fine. They're be hiccoughs along the way in all departments, hopefully not too many set backs to stop us achieving out ultimate goal of promotion.

I'm not saying there are never any good free agents, but there's a reason why they've been let go and nobody has snapped them up at this stage.
DaveAV1

Free Agents 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:29 pm

I just noticed Adebeyor in the original list @DelboyVilla posted up.

Are we to assume McGrath told him to stop playing football?
Trotters
Trotters

Free Agents 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I think we are incredibly vulnerable in central midfield. Sissoko is available it seems.

http://m.hulldailymail.co.uk/hull-city-news-and-rumours-momo-sissoko-a-free-agent-target-for-tigers/story-29683894-detail/story.html

"Vulnerable in central midfield"? Jedinak, Westwood, Tshibola, Gardner and Lyden play there plus Bacuna can fill in too. So needless to say i think the word "vulnerable" is a little over the top.

As for the options available. Sessegnon, Flamini and Hoilet would be my choices tbh. But doesn't registration stuff get in the way lads?
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Free Agents 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:07 pm

If we were going to go for one of these free agents, I think we would have done so by now. Maybe if we're desperate for some experience and know-how in midfield, Osman or Flamini would be worth thinking about, but I can't see it happening.
deadbuzzardalive

Free Agents 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:27 am

AstonThriller wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:I think we are incredibly vulnerable in central midfield. Sissoko is available it seems.

"Vulnerable in central midfield"? Jedinak, Westwood, Tshibola, Gardner and Lyden play there plus Bacuna can fill in too. So needless to say i think the word "vulnerable" is a little over the top.

As for the options available. Sessegnon, Flamini and Hoilet would be my choices tbh. But doesn't registration stuff get in the way lads?

Trouble is if Jedinak or Tish are injured or suspended then we are back to relying on Westwood or Gardner who have both prove themselves not good enough for this level.
DelboyVilla

Free Agents 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:43 am

We are weak in midfield. Jedinak is injured and we don't know if Tish is back, that means (and I'm expecting both to be back) if they don't make the weekend we are looking at Westy and Gardner in the middle of the park - neither are good enough. Lyden has played a total of 5 senior matches in all competitions, and Bacuna categorically is not a centre midfielder. Imagine Westy and Bacuna trying to hold the midfield...

Jedinak and Tish is a great pairing, Jedinak and Westy is ok, Westy and Tish is serviceable. But we are relying on 2 players to not get injured
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Free Agents 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:15 am

DelboyVilla wrote:
AstonThriller wrote:

Trouble is if Jedinak or Tish are injured or suspended then we are back to relying on Westwood or Gardner who have both prove themselves not good enough for this level.

Exactly. 4 of the6 options we have simply aren't good enoughfor promotion. Not to mention our first options either are injury prone or old and likely to be suspended in periods. We really need CM cover that's of sufficient quality.

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:48 pm

Villa_Dan wrote:We are weak in midfield. Jedinak is injured and we don't know if Tish is back, that means (and I'm expecting both to be back) if they don't make the weekend we are looking at Westy and Gardner in the middle of the park - neither are good enough. Lyden has played a total of 5 senior matches in all competitions, and Bacuna categorically is not a centre midfielder. Imagine Westy and Bacuna trying to hold the midfield...

Jedinak and Tish is a great pairing, Jedinak and Westy is ok, Westy and Tish is serviceable. But we are relying on 2 players to not get injured

Take out the first choice central pair in most sides in the league and they would be "weakened" too. So this is not just exclusive to Villa.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Free Agents 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:03 pm

AstonThriller wrote:
Villa_Dan wrote:We are weak in midfield. Jedinak is injured and we don't know if Tish is back, that means (and I'm expecting both to be back) if they don't make the weekend we are looking at Westy and Gardner in the middle of the park - neither are good enough. Lyden has played a total of 5 senior matches in all competitions, and Bacuna categorically is not a centre midfielder. Imagine Westy and Bacuna trying to hold the midfield...

Take out the first choice central pair in most sides in the league and they would be "weakened" too. So this is not just exclusive to Villa.

True but I don't think that the gulf in quality is so great?

Perhaps we could suggest that all teams have to play Westwood or Gardner or Bacuna when a midfielder is injured that would wreck a few teams seasons? And Flabby as the replacement striker? lol!
DelboyVilla

Free Agents 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down