The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Goals and assists from midfield

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Goals and assists from midfield

Post by Joppe84 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:57 pm

Even if only Tish is ready for starts, there's no reason Green and HM can't regularly make it on from the bench.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:01 am

There is a report that Hepburn-Murphy hasn't signed a new contract and Rangers are interested. I really hope this doesn't happen. If he can work on his pace , which is something Kodjia, Ayew, Gestede and McCormack don't have, he could force his way into the team. Not much point setting up for counter-attack football without pace up front.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:39 pm

FoxyAV wrote:There is a report that Hepburn-Murphy hasn't signed a new contract and Rangers are interested. I really hope this doesn't happen. If he can work on his pace , which is something Kodjia, Ayew, Gestede and McCormack don't have, he could force his way into the team. Not much point setting up for counter-attack football without pace up front.

While a part of me thinks that would be a shame because I like watching young players breaking through, another part of me couldn't be bothered. If RHM doesn't fancy fighting for a place in a championship team, fuck him off. Says more about his quality than anything else.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by andrew24561 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:06 pm

he's got more chance of getting one of your beers Joppe lad than being allowed to leave !!!!!!!
andrew24561

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:05 pm

Joppe84 wrote:
FoxyAV wrote:There is a report that Hepburn-Murphy hasn't signed a new contract and Rangers are interested. I really hope this doesn't happen. If he can work on his pace , which is something Kodjia, Ayew, Gestede and McCormack don't have, he could force his way into the team. Not much point setting up for counter-attack football without pace up front.

While a part of me thinks that would be a shame because I like watching young players breaking through, another part of me couldn't be bothered. If RHM doesn't fancy fighting for a place in a championship team, fuck him off. Says more about his quality than anything else.

There's another thread on the RHM issue but it seems to me that he HAS fought for a place but he was overlooked in favour of a players who's fought with coaches, fought for his right to paaaaaaarty and fought the flab.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:25 pm

It is strange that he's not playing for either the U23s or the first team at present - I wonder if this want-away is the reason? (If true)
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:54 pm

He scored two goals for the U23s last night (or was it the night before?).
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:03 am

FoxyAV wrote:He scored two goals for the U23s last night (or was it the night before?).

Ah, missed that- well I feel a bit happier as he missed a couple and wasn't injured. How he's not getting a crack at the first team I do not know, even just a few minutes to get him used to things...
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:06 am

De Kuip wrote:
FoxyAV wrote:He scored two goals for the U23s last night (or was it the night before?).

Ah, missed that- well I feel a bit happier as he missed a couple and wasn't injured. How he's not getting a crack at the first team I do not know, even just a few minutes to get him used to things...

If he's been offered a new contract you'd have thought there'd need to be an incentive wouldn't you?
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:38 pm

If he was my son or client, I'd be listening to options too.
Not being good enough or ready at the start of last season is legit. But by 2/3rds of the way through when it was clear to most that the sun has set on our time in the Premier league then he should have been getting a lot of time on the pitch.

And this season with it being so long and the ANC looming, then he should be getting 10 mind here, 15 there. But it's clear the club would rather look to the past and play the winner of the Balloon D'or in the hope that he can revive his form of last season, 2015, 2014, 2013....2005.

A few people on twitter have said he's a Billy Big Bollocks the way he carries on on social media. I don't see that at all.

But maybe he's a complete prick of a person. Or has maybe seen enough shit at the club and wants a totally fresh start?

Who knows!
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Murphy has a year left on his contract from what I gather and I'd like to think he will be fully involved in the next few months. I watched the u23 game and he looked very lively indeed. His finishing is very impressive too. I'd be very surprised if he's not given a chance very soon.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:56 pm

UPDATE!!

Ayew= 3 goals and 4 assists
Adomah= 0 goals and 2 assists
Grealish= 2 goals and 1 assists
Jedinak= 0 goals and 2 assists
Tshibola= 1 goal and 0 assists
Westwood= 0 goals and 0 assists
Gardner= 1 goals and 0 assists
Bacuna= 0 goals and 1 assist

Total sum= 7 goals and 10 assists

Jedinak's quality pass for Kodjia to slot home the winner takes the assist tally into double figures now. We're gonna need more goals from these lot though to really say things are moving in the right direction. I'm sure Ayew will get double figures but Grealish and Adomah need to start finding the net aswell which will make these wins much more comfortable than they have been (All of Bruce's wins have been by a single goal).
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Do you count winning penalties in the assist tally @AstonThriller?

I thought Grealish had won a couple but might be wrong...
Wriggle

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:19 am

Wriggle wrote:Do you count winning penalties in the assist tally @AstonThriller?

Ashley Westwood has asked if giving away penalties to the opposition counts as an assist? He said he has assisted in a few of those over the years? (He is that desperate to break his duck) Very Happy

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:16 am

Wriggle wrote:Do you count winning penalties in the assist tally @AstonThriller?

LOL nah I think that's a bit of a stretch to make that an assist pal Very Happy
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:50 pm

UPDATE!!

Adomah= 0 goals and 3 assists

Total sum= 7 goals and 11 assists

Just added Adomah's assist at Brighton to the list. Now we need more goals from the likes of Ayew, Grealish and Adomah if we really want to make a big move up the table. We can't just rely on Kodjia because as we saw on Friday not everything he touches is gonna go in. Grealish was very encouraging but now it's time to turn those sort of displays into goals and assists.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:30 pm

UPDATE!!

Adomah= 1 goals and 4 assists

Total sum= 8 goals and 12 assists

Great to see Adomah answer my call and add a goal to his performances. Also got another assist aswell and he's certainly starting to flex his muscles now as he has FOUR assists in the last six games. Grealish has also won three penalties in the last seven games.

In closing look who's still added absolutely NOTHING to the assist and goal tally? SMH and his mistake today was criminal!!..the sooner we replace Westwood the more our team will flourish.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:10 am

UPDATE!!

Adomah= 1 goals and 4 assists
Grealish= 3 goals and 1 assists

Total= 9 goals and 12 assists

Great to see Grealish get on the scoresheet again. This is what we need if we've got any intention of getting back up at the first time of asking. The problem right now is Ayew's contribution has totally dried up, while Gardner and especially Westwood really contribute nothing offensively. Jedi has a few assists but he's not really there to be creative.

Bottom line is if we get a central midfielder and left winger who can give us more class in the final third then we'll be pretty hard to stop imo.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:49 pm

I thought Ayew looked lazy and disinterested yesterday so no surprise his contribution has ceased.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:15 am

I just don't get it with Ayew, a dozen time he takes on too many players loses the ball throws his hand up. FFS pass the bleeding ball !!!!!!!!!
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:09 am

jeffvilla wrote:I just don't get it with Ayew, a dozen time he takes on too many players loses the ball throws his hand up. FFS pass the bleeding ball !!!!!!!!!

Agree 100% with this, and then play breaks down and tempo slows once more. When you see the effort put in by Kodjia compared to Ayew, it's embarrassing as we all know the talent he has, but not the temperament to match. Such a shame.
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:08 am

if we can get our money back for him we should sell him and buy a winger
Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:02 pm

Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Loris Karius and five other 'keepers have better passing stats than the most pointless midfielder

BY CONAN DOHERTY

There's ineffective and then there's Ashley Westwood.
These players are in every club - two of them used to be at Villa but Tom Cleverley has since upgraded to stand around Everton doing nothing instead.

It's not that they're particularly terrible footballers - it's just that they're afraid to play football, which doesn't exactly help when you're a footballer.

They get picked every week though because they don't make any major cock-ups. A lot of managers are happy to throw boys onto their teams in the knowledge that they won't cost them the game. They won't help at all but most our predispositions is to be cautious and not balls the thing up first and foremost.

So Paul Lambert plucked someone like Ashley Westwood from McGrath  knows where and planted him into the heart of the Aston Villa team. Tim Sherwood came along and did the same. So did Roberto Di Matteo. Steve Bruce is flirting back and forward with the idea and, all the while, Villa fans are tearing their hair out asking how and why.

Let's get it straight, this man can kick a ball, he just won't. He hides from it. He never presents himself as an option and, the rare times he's forced to actually take possession, he either rolls it five metres to the next man or simply lumps it away or loses it.

As central midfielders go, Ashley Westwood is as anonymous as they come.

Now, Villa are playing at a grade below and their heartbeat couldn't be less interested. Against Norwich on Tuesday night, they lined out with a frightening front four that would be the envy of any Championship team. Top scorer Jonathan Kodjia played with Jack Grealish and Jordan Ayew behind Gabby Agbonlahor.

They were quickly made redundant though because their supply line wasn't pumping. It was running scared.

In 93 minutes, Ashley Westwood completed 18 passes against Norwich. Five of those passes even went forwards.

This is a central midfielder, playing in one of the biggest clubs in the league, on one of the teams with the best personnel and he's stringing together 18 passes for 93 minutes of work.

In an era where men like Xavi has hit heights of almost 180 passes, Westwood is offering 10 times less in the Championship. Paul McShane actually completed 101 more passes than him on Tuesday night.

In fairness, Westwood managed one tackle and one interception too.

But it's not just Irish defenders that are embarrassing him when it comes to passing stats, in the last week alone, six Premier League goalkeepers have completed more passes than the man at the hub of the action for Villa.

Goalkeepers' pass completions in the last week:

Hugo Lloris (v United) - 24
Thibaut Courtois (v West Brom) - 22
Loris Karius (v West Ham) - 21
Victor Valdes (v Southampton) - 21
Claudio Bravo (v Leicester) - 21
Jordan Pickford (v Swansea) - 19
Artur Boric (v Burnley) - 18
Seamus Coleman made 24 passes against Watford at the weekend too. Darren Randolph completed 17 against Liverpool.

Ashley Westwood made 18. Against Norwich. From midfield. In 93 minutes.

In real life.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:39 am

Whoa that is an embarrassing read?

18 passes, I just am at a real loss for words? 5 passes forwards, no wonder our strikers can't get the goals? I am really starting to have a very real hatred for this man!

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum