The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Goals and assists from midfield

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Goals and assists from midfield

Post by AstonThriller on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I'd argue Grealish is as much a midfielder as Ayew is, maybe not on paper, but that's how we use them.

Disagree. Jack has been employed mainly on the left while Ayew has been on the wings a few times and upfront in others.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm

What matches have Ayew been a striker this season out of interest? Cause from what I can tell he's been playing the exact same role Grealish have.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:53 pm

Joppe84 wrote:What matches have Ayew been a striker this season out of interest? Cause from what I can tell he's been playing the exact same role Grealish have.

Luton and Bristol come to mind. And even today in the first half he wasn't exactly hugging the touch-line.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:06 am

That's the whole point. Grealish never hugs the touch line
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:32 am

Well Adomah has started to get going now lads. He's got two assists in two games now and this is the sort of production we need from our midfield/attacking midfielders.

If we do put Ayew as an attacking midfielder than this is how the current bunch have gone thus far.

Ayew= 3 goals and 3 assists
Adomah= 0 goals and 2 assists
Grealish= 2 goals and 1 assists
Jedinak= 0 goals and 1 assist
Tshibola= 1 goal and 0 assists
Westwood= 0 goals and 0 assists
Gardner= 0 goals and 0 assists
Bacuna= 0 goals and 1 assist

Total sum= 6 goals and 8 assists

It's getting better but remember the top six last season had stats of goals and assists from midfield in the high 20s to mid 30s, hell some were even in the 40s too. So we've got a long way to go yet and I want to see a few goals from the likes of Adomah and Grealish when he returns.

In closing I looked at Veretout's stats from last season and those six assists he got look more better with each passing day. I really think he would have made us much more stronger this season.

AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:51 am

Great stuff as usual @AstonThriller!!

It's interesting with the number of games that AW has played this season so far that he has zero goals and zero assists? Mr Consistantly Shite!

I am expecting a thunderbolt from GG against the scum to lose his scoring cherry in style!

I also disagree about Veretout? He didn't want to be here and being the most creative player from last year is a bit like winning the title Miss Knuckledragger 2015/16 or shiniest turd at the sty? Like a lot of players the less he played for us the better he got in our minds?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:58 am

DelboyVilla wrote:

I also disagree about Veretout? He didn't want to be here and being the most creative player from last year is a bit like winning the title Miss Knuckledragger 2015/16 or shiniest turd at the sty? Like a lot of players the less he played for us the better he got in our minds?

My point about Veretout is if he got six assists in the top league whilst playing for the worst Villa side in history, what would he have done in a lower league with a better structure around him? And players wanting to "leave" is nothing new. Didn't Barry want to go to Liverpool and we blocked that move and he stayed for another year? Veretout has four years left on his contract and is still a Villa player right now.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:17 am

AstonThriller wrote:
DelboyVilla wrote:

My point about Veretout is if he got six assists in the top league whilst playing for the worst Villa side in history, what would he have done in a lower league with a better structure around him? And players wanting to "leave" is nothing new. Didn't Barry want to go to Liverpool and we blocked that move and he stayed for another year? Veretout has four years left on his contract and is still a Villa player right now.

Yes players often want to leave but JV never settled in the first place? OK he had personal problems and the multiple idiot managers wouldn't have helped but he never looked fit or committed? However we have only loaned him out without any option for St Etienne to buy so maybe he is in the plans for next season? He seems to be now playing full games week in week out albeit in a non competitive French League? Let's see if he can come back and pull up some trees?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:38 pm

Kodjia was playing on the left wing of a 4-1-4-1 at Reading when he scored (albeit from the right!) so that's another midfield goal, despite him being a striker.

AstonThriller wrote:Well Adomah has started to get going now lads. He's got two assists in two games now and this is the sort of production we need from our midfield/attacking midfielders.

If we do put Ayew as an attacking midfielder than this is how the current bunch have gone thus far.

Ayew= 3 goals and 3 assists
Gardner= 0 goals and 0 assists

Total sum= 6 goals and 8 assists

It's getting better but remember the top six last season had stats of goals and assists from midfield in the high 20s to mid 30s, hell some were even in the 40s too. So we've got a long way to go yet and I want to see a few goals from the likes of Adomah and Grealish when he returns.

In closing I looked at Veretout's stats from last season and those six assists he got look more better with each passing day. I really think he would have made us much more stronger this season.

FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:19 pm

UPDATE!!

Gary Gardner finally scored for the Villa and Ayew got another assist. So this is how things are looking now.

Ayew= 3 goals and 4 assists
Gardner= 1 goals and 0 assists

Total sum= 7 goals and 9 assists

We all know Gary has goals in his game so this is a big boost for the lad. I mean I remember when he had an incredible record in his youth days when he scored in around sixteen consecutive matches in games for the u18s and reserve team. I really thought he was gonna be a goal machine for us but injuries really did hamper the lad.

Hopefully this will open the floodgates for him now and he can get another five or six goals this season. What is clear though is we need that one creative spark from the middle of the park now. Someone who can dictate play and score/create goals from the central position like Milner did many moons ago.

In closing just look at the contributions whether large or small and one name has not contributed anything at all. The sooner Westwood gets out of this club the better.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:17 pm

@AstonThriller 16 goals/assists in 15 games is not bad at all a goal a game from midfield is excellent. Need the defence to chip in and RMc to hit some form and we will be flying?

There is still one turd in the pool though and he is probably the player who has had the most minutes on the pitch in midfield this year and the turd in question is Mr Ashley 'fucking' Westwood!!!!

He should be sent to Nepal and locked in a box and buried under Everest until the season ends as this man must have 666 on his neck? He is the root of all our bad luck so it seems?????

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:04 am

Westwood still has fans. Fans who clearly see a different game to most...

Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:47 am

Trotters wrote:Westwood still has fans. Fans who clearly see a different game to most...

Where are these 'fans' Trotts??? Even his mother couldn't love him at the moment with the performances he has put in?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite on Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:33 am

Its all a bit too harsh for me, he's being picked by manager after manager to do the job he's being paid to do. It's not his fault that he is inadequate, he works his ass off with very limited ability and for that we should at least respect the effort he puts in.

The issue is, why do the managers keep picking him?

Why did we loan out or sell better players (just) and why are the U23's not getting a shot, when clearly Westwood is a weak link?

Why the hell the TISH not being played?

Westwood should be replaced in Jan and sold or loaned out. If we cant upgrade then bring back Veretout and Sanchez.

I like the sound of Tish Jedi Veretout.
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla on Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:03 pm

I saw Veretout playing for St Etienne last week I think and he looked good and scored a cracking goal. I have never really been a fan based on his performances from last year and I have questioned his ability on here. I hope we are keeping an eye on him in France because maybe next season when he is a little bit older and more experienced he could be the link between the midfield and forwards that we are clearly lacking at the moment.

As to whey AFW is picked when his ability is so obviously lacking is beyond my non footballing brain? All I see is a player that has a negative effect on our style of play and we seem to perform better when he is on the bench and actually win games?

DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:18 pm

I prefer the sound of Jedi Vertout Tish as it sounds like that drum/cymbal noise you make after a punchline.....
De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Westwood is consistently played out of position. He played best in the centre of a three-man midfield, despite being hopeless at tackling. Jedi now has that position but Westwood just isn't adaptable. He puts in all the effort, he's just no good on the right. Veretout was screwed over by a series of managers last season in a team cruising to relegation. I thought he had a lot of potential and wanted him and Gueye in the centre of our midfield this season, I think we'd be in a different position in the league had we kept them both and Sanchez as backup. Back to Westwood, bring him on as a defensive sub after we score a goal but don't play him out of position.

I don't understand why Guzan had so much abuse last season, he tried, he wasn't a twat on or off the pitch and he had some shit defenders in front of him. Various managers kept on selecting him though, despite seeing the performances he was putting in (see also Gabby and his goalscoring streak of one), surely they should be receiving the abuse?
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Maybe we can go for Fabregas on loan. We won't need anyone else on the field except Gollini Laughing Laughing
WendyOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:20 am

I honestly miss a midfielder that has physique, engine and the ability to make driving runs from box to box while taking shots.

I was hoping Gardner would be this player, but he was just overhyped like all other academy graduates we have.

Do we know of any championship players we could buy that fits the criteria?

Up to that point we should recall Veretout though, if possible. Surely Gardner Veretout and Jedi has to be better than what we're currently running.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:32 pm

I'm excited to see what gems Bruce has up his sleeve when it comes to the January window and getting in midfielders. Jedi being the only true "defensive midfielder" is worrying and we will need to add someone with legs who can not only protect the back four but get up and down the pitch effectively. And of course a creative, central midfielder is absolutely vital aswell. We get that then we'll be flying towards the end of the season imo.
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:19 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:I saw Veretout playing for St Etienne last week I think and he looked good and scored a cracking goal. I have never really been a fan based on his performances from last year and I have questioned his ability on here. I hope we are keeping an eye on him in France because maybe next season when he is a little bit older and more experienced he could be the link between the midfield and forwards that we are clearly lacking at the moment.

As to whey AFW is picked when his ability is so obviously lacking is beyond my non footballing brain? All I see is a player that has a negative effect on our style of play and we seem to perform better when he is on the bench and actually win games?

If Bruce is cool on tishbola - I don't see vertout getting a look in.
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by ember on Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Can we even recall any of the players we have loaned out? Can anyone confirm there is a break clause rather than them being season long?
ember

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Goals from midfield? How about a couple from Green and Tish, plus a couple from some bloke called Hepburn-Murphy:

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7521738

Sure, it's an U23 match, but even so, three names I suspect we'd all like to see playing in the first team.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Joppe84 on Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:07 pm

I'd love to see all those three on the pitch tbh.
Joppe84

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:19 pm

FoxyAV wrote:Goals from midfield? How about a couple from Green and Tish, plus a couple from some bloke called Hepburn-Murphy:

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7521738

Sure, it's an U23 match, but even so, three names I suspect we'd all like to see playing in the first team.

I wonder about the primary objective Bruce was given when he was appointed: to simply get us out of the hole we were sinking into? To get us promoted at all costs? Or to develop us into a formidable team even if we miss promotion this year?

They may seem like different ways of saying the same thing, but it could be he's loath to "gamble" on the young talent if he's under orders to get us up the table ASAP. One of the criticisms under RDM was that the team had too many new players so he may just be selecting experience over potential.
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum