The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Championship rivals thread

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Championship rivals thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:55 pm

Results were going pretty well for us, all things considered, until both Leeds and Reading scored in injury time. Still Derby and Sheff Weds both look like dropping points, so not as bad as it could have been.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Jae1411 on Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 pm

bad day for us today, a lot of late goals went against us. have to win tomorrow

Jae1411

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:00 pm

Now Wednesday have gone and scored in injury time, not a good afternoon after all. Still if we win tomorrow that cuts the gap to six points.

One small plus is that Derby didn't win, meaning the gap between us and top six is nine points rather than ten. It's only a point difference, but I think being single digits behind rather double makes a difference psychologically. That's just three wins we have to make up, plus we have a game in hand.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:54 pm

Concentrate on us, forget the rest, if we can't do it off our own bat then we don't deserve anything!

achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:05 pm

I bloody hate this league. All day results were going our way. Preston were drawing, Sheff Wed were drawing, Reading had been pegged back, Leeds were being held etc. It then gets to the closing stages and I pop to the shops to get some evening munchies and low and behold nearly every result that could have gone against us has .

The only consolation is Reading and Huddersfield staying up there will make it easier for us in the play-offs should we make it. I mean anything can happen of course but I'd much rather be facing either of those two than Norwich, Derby or Sheff Wed. Even though I'd expect us to beat any of them if/when we strengthen this side in January.

But yeah I'm just fed up of this bloody league..no-one seems to slip up Rolling Eyes . Thank McGrath we have them all coming to VP so in essence everything is still in our own hands.

AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:53 pm

It doesn't have the "feel" of a promotion season for Villa to me. There are just too many issues for my liking and the fact Newcastle & Brighton have pretty much run away with it already has ruined the season for me.

Playing for an outside chance of the playoffs already and it's not even Christmas shows how poor we've been and truly i do not think we are good enough for promotion as it stands.

Our only chance is to manage to get some players in in Jan and hope they gel quick enough to go on a huge run in the second half of the campaign. It's all if's, buts & maybe's and the issue we have is it's a very tough year with lots of teams clearly better and more consistent than we are. So we also have to hope that a load of the teams above us go off the boil or suffer through getting players injured etc... I can't see it sadly as Derby, Preston, Leeds and a few others are simply better than us, so i'm looking to next season now.

I was a ST holder the last time we were down and although we got of to a similar start in the first 6 to 8 games that time we were much better than we are this time and had less competition too.

We need a miracle frankly.

The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:27 pm

@The Utterer wrote:It doesn't have the "feel" of a promotion season for Villa to me. There are just too many issues for my liking and the fact Newcastle & Brighton have pretty much run away with it already has ruined the season for me.

Playing for an outside chance of the playoffs already and it's not even Christmas shows how poor we've been and truly i do not think we are good enough for promotion as it stands.

Our only chance is to manage to get some players in in Jan and hope they gel quick enough to go on a huge run in the second half of the campaign. It's all if's, buts & maybe's and the issue we have is it's a very tough year with lots of teams clearly better and more consistent than we are. So we also have to hope that a load of the teams above us go off the boil or suffer through getting players injured etc... I can't see it sadly as Derby, Preston, Leeds and a few others are simply better than us, so i'm looking to next season now.

I was a ST holder the last time we were down and although we got of to a similar start in the first 6 to 8 games that time we were much better than we are this time and had less competition too.

We need a miracle frankly.

I can't agree tbh. Yes it's sickening to see very average sides like Brighton a whole twenty points ahead of us and it's madness to see the likes of Derby winning six in a row and Reading somehow winning week in, week out. But the fact is we've been terribly unlucky. We let points go in the last minute against Sheff Wed, Huddersfield, Brentford, Forest, Barnsley etc...we dominated games against Derby and Brighton and never got what we deserved. So there has been some mitigating circumstances as to why we are so behind. At the end of the day we've lost five game which is the same as Newcastle and only bettered by Brighton.

We have also played away to nine of the top twelve teams above us right now. So as I've mentioned before our second half to the season is likely to be much more easier. Let me add that we're also the only unbeaten team in the league at home. So IF our home form continues and we start to pick up points in the easier away games then why shouldn't we get into the play-offs? At this point last season Burnley were ten points behind Boro having played a game more. They ended up finishing ahead of them. So yes right now things look grim but lets not get on a total downer just yet. There's still a very long way to go.

AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:52 pm

If someone would have said to me when Bruce first game in that we were going to win half of his first ten games in charge and only lose two, I would never have guessed that we'd still be nine points from the play-offs, in that scenario.

I find it ridiculous that already automatic promotion is (barring a miracle) a write-off. Things would have been so much different if Bruce started the season with us. We really need to start beating our promotion rivals now.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:57 am

If Tony is prepared to spend (and we've seen nothing to suggest that he's anything but ambitious) and if Bruce has the contacts and wherewithal to get decent players in then you could argue that we are possibly the most attractive proposition in the league. And that's gives us a distinct advantage for the 2nd half of the season.

It really all hinges on us desperately holding on to being a couple of wins off 6th place and then hope that January is a real coup.

But, slip up against QPR and fail to get anyone decent to replace Westwood and Gardner and I think we're finished for this season: we simply do not have the team worthy of a top 6 place.

Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:15 am

Thanks to RDM we gave everyone a 12 game start, come January we need to be in or within touching distance of the playoffs. We will be able to raid any championship club bar Newcastle for their star midfielder and Bruce may have players/ contacts already lined up.
We will be a lot stronger than most of our rivals.
I am hoping for a good second half to the campaign and a playoff final win.

Boldfinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:24 am

@Trotters wrote:If Tony is prepared to spend (and we've seen nothing to suggest that he's anything but ambitious) and if Bruce has the contacts and wherewithal to get decent players in then you could argue that we are possibly the most attractive proposition in the league. And that's gives us a distinct advantage for the 2nd half of the season.

It really all hinges on us desperately holding on to being a couple of wins off 6th place and then hope that January is a real coup.

But, slip up against QPR and fail to get anyone decent to replace Westwood and Gardner and I think we're finished for this season: we simply do not have the team worthy of a top 6 place.

Sorry to say but Newcastle are the most attractive option in this league, and by some distance at the present time. I'm in the camp that says if we fail to secure maximum points from the next two home games then we've left a mountain to climb. I'm slightly concerned how some fans just assume the likes of Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Derby, Huddersfield etc are going to fall away and that we'll inevitably go past them. There's no evidence of that at all this season, so far. We had a good 8 game run and made nearly no ground. I remember saying last season that it's merely a matter of time before we "click" and reel the others in. It's complacent and worrying. I'll be looking to mid-January to make my mind up on our playoff chances.

Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:51 pm

West Brom are a scabby club lol!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-crystal-palace-chairman-simon-12358172

Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:39 am

Here's something to mull over....

Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:09 am

@Trotters wrote:West Brom are a scabby club lol!

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-crystal-palace-chairman-simon-12358172

I'd love to agree with this but Simon Jordan is a slimey shitbag

Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:48 am

@Trotters records are there to be broken! lol!

achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 am

^^^^ Yes!!!

Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:32 pm

I am keeping a very close eye on Leeds for promotion this year. The makings of a bloody good team there.

NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:13 pm

Just our luck that Wednesday are beating Newcastle at St James. If that stays the same we'll be back to being six points off the play-offs. Remarkable that we're doing so well results wise, but keep finding ourselves two or three wins from getting into the top six.

Still about twenty minutes left hopefully Newcastle can get something.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:45 pm

So Wednesday win, meaning after today's results, despite winning, we haven't really made any progress. Frustrating, will probably have to beat Leeds now just to stand still.

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle on Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:56 am

@deadbuzzardalive wrote:So Wednesday win, meaning after today's results, despite winning, we haven't really made any progress. Frustrating, will probably have to beat Leeds now just to stand still.

I've mentioned in another post how we can't simply rely on one of the current top 6 to suddenly drop away and present Villa a spot in the playoffs. We have to put a run of 5,6, or 7+ wins on the spin to make a real impression on the playoff places, and beating Leeds would be integral to doing that. We simply have to beat a rival to stand any realistic chance of the playoffs, we need to avenge the defeat of early December

Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:49 am

I think the concern for me is how far off the quality of the top six our performances are and why the window will make or break us this season. No way on current performances and personnel can I see us out gunning the top six unless we bring in 5 or 6 good replacements - just a sign of how poor our squad is and testament to SB and a few key players, allied to some average opposition that has meant we've continued to pick up points thus far.

De Kuip

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:10 am

Yes this league is really taking the piss as far as other teams results go isn't it? Just can't seem to get the rub of the green at all. I still maintain though that many of those sides inside the top six will fall apart at some stage. I mean for example Leeds have played against ten men two of three times recently. Reading keep getting penalties etc!!..I think it will level itself out over the course of the season.

And yes currently we're not looking like Barcelona but who cares? Do you remember when we battered Forest and didn't get what we deserved? Had chance after chance against Huddersfield and got mugged in the end? Could have finished off Barnsley several times but had to settle for a draw? I mean the Brighton game was as one sided as it gets in that second half. If it was a boxing match it would have had to have been stopped. And yet for all of that all we got was a draw. Now we're winning whilst playing average and I'll take that all day long.

I said from the moment Bruce walked in that all we need to do it be within striking distance of the play-offs by the time the January window opens and that is the case right now. We're winning with no quality in the midfield whatsoever so just imagine what we will be like with a couple of quality additions in that area? Let's keep the faith lads. All of the pretenders will have to face us once our side has been improved and then we'll see what happens.

Last edited by AstonThriller on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total

AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:17 am

Bruce is now back on target, 2pts / game will see us make the top 6, we are on 34pts now, another 46pts from the remaining 23games will get us to 80pts, that will be enough for the top 6.
2pts per game is a huge ask though, all the teams above us barring Newcastle , Huddersfield & Fulham have to come to Villa Park, this is where we gain ground, starting with Leeds on Thursday.

VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:37 pm

The problem has been basically the high number of teams between us and the top six. So even though we win it's pretty much guaranteed that a decent sized bunch of those clubs will also win. What we are doing is keeping in touch and slowly nudging upwards whilst the teams in 3rd to 9th places rotate positions week in week out but we need the like of Leeds, Huddersfield and Reading to either run out of steam or pick up suspensions/cards etc so that the strength of our squad can bear fruit, we also need Derby's wheels to come off (Although i'll grant them yesterday's win Dancing Banana ).

The Utterer

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Top six is a definate possibility, but, as has been said before it all hinges on improved performances and the January window.
Before i say we will make the play offs i want to see who Bruce and his team bring in when the window opens. I still get the feeling that we will massively improve in the second part of the season, but we will have to wait and see.

NARLA24

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum