The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Technical Director - Steve Round

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by AstonThriller on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:08 am

@smetro wrote:

Yep - some solid sensible answers.

Lets not forget though the current improvement is down to the solid appointment in Steve Bruce. Should we start messing about with namby pamby nobodies who talk about 'changing the culture' etc - then things will go backwards again pretty quickly. The structure is important - but it is dwarfed in significance by who we appoint as manager.

The whole point of what Steve Round is doing is to ensure that the clubs near and future prospects isn't solely in the hands of one man like it was when Mon was here. We've been so behind the eight-ball in recent times that teams came up from lower leagues and eventually moved streets ahead of us despite us being mainstays of the premiership at the time. Now we're in a lower league the curtain has been pulled back and what was seen wasn't pretty. Putting the right people in place and making sure the ship is running harmoniously, despite who the manager is, is simply smart thinking imo. How many times has a manager come in, brought in a bunch of staff, then got sacked/left and we have a massive upheaval as a result? All that does is create chaos. So that's why the club are putting these things in place now to prevent that.

I mean we just have to look at Southampton. Over the last five or six years they've had Adkins, Poch, Koeman and now Puel and yet the ship just keeps on going. This is what we need to have at the Villa. And in closing I remember when Houllier came in and said he was gonna overhaul our scouting system, then Lambert came in and brought in a German guy who was gonna be our chief scout but then he left after a few months, then Tom Fox said we were creating scouting networks via Paddy Riley etc etc!!..it was all over the place. Now with Steve Round in place I have a good feeling we'll be seeing a fully functional scouting system that will reap rewards in the years ahead.

AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:29 am

@AstonThriller wrote:
@smetro wrote:

Yep - some solid sensible answers.

Lets not forget though the current improvement is down to the solid appointment in Steve Bruce. Should we start messing about with namby pamby nobodies who talk about 'changing the culture' etc - then things will go backwards again pretty quickly. The structure is important - but it is dwarfed in significance by who we appoint as manager.

The whole point of what Steve Round is doing is to ensure that the clubs near and future prospects isn't solely in the hands of one man like it was when Mon was here. We've been so behind the eight-ball in recent times that teams came up from lower leagues and eventually moved streets ahead of us despite us being mainstays of the premiership at the time. Now we're in a lower league the curtain has been pulled back and what was seen wasn't pretty. Putting the right people in place and making sure the ship is running harmoniously, despite who the manager is, is simply smart thinking imo. How many times has a manager come in, brought in a bunch of staff, then got sacked/left and we have a massive upheaval as a result? All that does is create chaos. So that's why the club are putting these things in place now to prevent that.

I mean we just have to look at Southampton. Over the last five or six years they've had Adkins, Poch, Koeman and now Puel and yet the ship just keeps on going. This is what we need to have at the Villa. And in closing I remember when Houllier came in and said he was gonna overhaul our scouting system, then Lambert came in and brought in a German guy who was gonna be our chief scout but then he left after a few months, then Tom Fox said we were creating scouting networks via Paddy Riley etc etc!!..it was all over the place. Now with Steve Round in place I have a good feeling we'll be seeing a fully functional scouting system that will reap rewards in the years ahead.

I Agree it has some merit - but as you say Adkins Poch, Koeman v Houllier ,Sherwood, Garde, - easy to see which club could sport a manager.

smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:50 am

Whilst the 'warm feelings' mood is still flowing, let's not forget two other people: Steve Hollis and Dr T! Hollis was the first person to say this 'club is broken'. Without him I think things would be still be dire. No, I'm not missing the fine work that now seems to be being done by others, but let us not forget!

Interesting to see Harry Harrison is back in some capacity - any role for GT too?

Gordonsleftboot

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Haven't watched this myself yet, but long interview with Steve Round...

deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum