The Bells Are Ringing


WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!


Technical Director - Steve Round

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by AstonThriller on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:08 am

smetro wrote:

Yep - some solid sensible answers.

Lets not forget though the current improvement is down to the solid appointment in Steve Bruce. Should we start messing about with namby pamby nobodies who talk about 'changing the culture' etc - then things will go backwards again pretty quickly. The structure is important - but it is dwarfed in significance by who we appoint as manager.

The whole point of what Steve Round is doing is to ensure that the clubs near and future prospects isn't solely in the hands of one man like it was when Mon was here. We've been so behind the eight-ball in recent times that teams came up from lower leagues and eventually moved streets ahead of us despite us being mainstays of the premiership at the time. Now we're in a lower league the curtain has been pulled back and what was seen wasn't pretty. Putting the right people in place and making sure the ship is running harmoniously, despite who the manager is, is simply smart thinking imo. How many times has a manager come in, brought in a bunch of staff, then got sacked/left and we have a massive upheaval as a result? All that does is create chaos. So that's why the club are putting these things in place now to prevent that.

I mean we just have to look at Southampton. Over the last five or six years they've had Adkins, Poch, Koeman and now Puel and yet the ship just keeps on going. This is what we need to have at the Villa. And in closing I remember when Houllier came in and said he was gonna overhaul our scouting system, then Lambert came in and brought in a German guy who was gonna be our chief scout but then he left after a few months, then Tom Fox said we were creating scouting networks via Paddy Riley etc etc!!..it was all over the place. Now with Steve Round in place I have a good feeling we'll be seeing a fully functional scouting system that will reap rewards in the years ahead.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1826
Reputation : 1659
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:29 am

AstonThriller wrote:
smetro wrote:

Yep - some solid sensible answers.

Lets not forget though the current improvement is down to the solid appointment in Steve Bruce. Should we start messing about with namby pamby nobodies who talk about 'changing the culture' etc - then things will go backwards again pretty quickly. The structure is important - but it is dwarfed in significance by who we appoint as manager.

The whole point of what Steve Round is doing is to ensure that the clubs near and future prospects isn't solely in the hands of one man like it was when Mon was here. We've been so behind the eight-ball in recent times that teams came up from lower leagues and eventually moved streets ahead of us despite us being mainstays of the premiership at the time. Now we're in a lower league the curtain has been pulled back and what was seen wasn't pretty. Putting the right people in place and making sure the ship is running harmoniously, despite who the manager is, is simply smart thinking imo. How many times has a manager come in, brought in a bunch of staff, then got sacked/left and we have a massive upheaval as a result? All that does is create chaos. So that's why the club are putting these things in place now to prevent that.

I mean we just have to look at Southampton. Over the last five or six years they've had Adkins, Poch, Koeman and now Puel and yet the ship just keeps on going. This is what we need to have at the Villa. And in closing I remember when Houllier came in and said he was gonna overhaul our scouting system, then Lambert came in and brought in a German guy who was gonna be our chief scout but then he left after a few months, then Tom Fox said we were creating scouting networks via Paddy Riley etc etc!!..it was all over the place. Now with Steve Round in place I have a good feeling we'll be seeing a fully functional scouting system that will reap rewards in the years ahead.

I Agree it has some merit - but as you say Adkins Poch, Koeman v Houllier ,Sherwood, Garde, - easy to see which club could sport a manager.
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2530
Reputation : 1471
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Gordonsleftboot on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:50 am

Whilst the 'warm feelings' mood is still flowing, let's not forget two other people: Steve Hollis and Dr T! Hollis was the first person to say this 'club is broken'. Without him I think things would be still be dire. No, I'm not missing the fine work that now seems to be being done by others, but let us not forget!

Interesting to see Harry Harrison is back in some capacity - any role for GT too?
avatar
Gordonsleftboot



Posts : 188
Reputation : 242
Join date : 2014-05-19
Location : Where I want to be

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Haven't watched this myself yet, but long interview with Steve Round...



deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 2105
Reputation : 1392
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:32 pm

I see Round's brought in David Weir until the end of the season as a scout. Not sure what the purpose of that is, Weir himself has said he wants to get back into management. With Wyness, Round, Atkins and now Weir all with Everton connections, it's starting to seem like a bit of a old boys network.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 2105
Reputation : 1392
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:38 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I see Round's brought in David Weir until the end of the season as a scout. Not sure what the purpose of that is, Weir himself has said he wants to get back into management. With Wyness, Round, Atkins and now Weir all with Everton connections, it's starting to seem like a bit of a old boys network.


Well Steve Round is our technical director. He has to do something, or at least be seen to do something. Pointless appointment on the face of it - just seems like another troop in Steve Rounds corner. I can imagine there are a few power struggles going on
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2530
Reputation : 1471
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by AstonThriller on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:04 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I see Round's brought in David Weir until the end of the season as a scout. Not sure what the purpose of that is, Weir himself has said he wants to get back into management. With Wyness, Round, Atkins and now Weir all with Everton connections, it's starting to seem like a bit of a old boys network.

I'd imagine Weir will be working as our top scout in Scotland. And when you consider he's just been involved with Rangers then who better to run the rule over potential additions from that part of the world? Between now and the end of the season the bloke could uncover one or two gems so why not? What have we got to lose?
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1826
Reputation : 1659
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:30 am

AstonThriller wrote:
deadbuzzardalive wrote:I see Round's brought in David Weir until the end of the season as a scout. Not sure what the purpose of that is, Weir himself has said he wants to get back into management. With Wyness, Round, Atkins and now Weir all with Everton connections, it's starting to seem like a bit of a old boys network.

I'd imagine Weir will be working as our top scout in Scotland. And when you consider he's just been involved with Rangers then who better to run the rule over potential additions from that part of the world? Between now and the end of the season the bloke could uncover one or two gems so why not? What have we got to lose?

Or most likely he won't and we will never hear anything from him again !!!!

avatar
smetro



Posts : 2530
Reputation : 1471
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Trotters on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 am

I know nothing of our scouting network or how these things work beyond the obvious but this appointment seems to fly in the face of the what the board seems to be trying to build : long term, sustainable projects that are well researched and well put together.

This sounds totally random.

The more I hear of/from Round, the more I think he's a bullshit artist.
avatar
Trotters



Posts : 9577
Reputation : 5252
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : Brisbane

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:56 am

Trotters wrote:I know nothing of our scouting network or how these things work beyond the obvious but this appointment seems to fly in the face of the what the board seems to be trying to build : long term, sustainable projects that are well researched and well put together.

This sounds totally random.

The more I hear of/from Round, the more I think he's a bullshit artist.

Agreed

I also think he is trying to justify his position/salary
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2530
Reputation : 1471
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by NARLA24 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 am

smetro wrote:
Trotters wrote:I know nothing of our scouting network or how these things work beyond the obvious but this appointment seems to fly in the face of the what the board seems to be trying to build : long term, sustainable projects that are well researched and well put together.

This sounds totally random.

The more I hear of/from Round, the more I think he's a bullshit artist.

Agreed

I also think he is trying to justify his position/salary
Totally disagree with you guys. He is a Stat Man and that is his job. He analysis stuff via a set program. Now ,if he has chosen the wrong program then he is fucked, but i think he will prove his worth in the long term.
Lads who work at BMH see him every day, analyzing players and staff and they fully support the guy, all of them. So i think you guys are wrong to give him a slating. Just my point of view.
avatar
NARLA24



Posts : 2355
Reputation : 1757
Join date : 2014-09-26
Age : 47
Location : Working to bloody hard

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:40 pm

I don't know what kind of a job he's doing. I'm impressed with our signings, which I gather he's had an hand in, but less impressed with the managers we've appointed since he's been here, although they had pluses on their arrival, I'm just not sure they tallyed up with the vision for the club that Round himself sold to fans on his arrival.

It was just the amount of people with Everton links that worried me slightly. Sometimes it's useful to work with people you already know, but I don't think that should be done at the expense of progress. To be honest I think I'm just worried we'll end up with David Moyes, lol.

Actually thinking about it having David Weir here, might increase the Warburton rumours, should we falter again this season.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 2105
Reputation : 1392
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Trotters on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:00 pm

NARLA24 wrote:
smetro wrote:
Trotters wrote:I know nothing of our scouting network or how these things work beyond the obvious but this appointment seems to fly in the face of the what the board seems to be trying to build : long term, sustainable projects that are well researched and well put together.

This sounds totally random.

The more I hear of/from Round, the more I think he's a bullshit artist.

Agreed

I also think he is trying to justify his position/salary
Totally disagree with you guys. He is a Stat Man and that is his job. He analysis stuff via a set program. Now ,if he has chosen the wrong program then he is fucked, but i think he will prove his worth in the long term.
Lads who work at BMH see him every day, analyzing players and staff and they fully support the guy, all of them. So i think you guys are wrong to give him a slating. Just my point of view.

I get where you're coming from and, as far as analysing stats from the player's fitbit-bras go, I'm sure he's doing a grand job.

But I'm equally sure that stats aren't his only role at the club. We've been down the "Moneyball" route before and it was pretty ugly so if we're relying on Round to any large degree and he's purely a stats-guy, then we're halfway to trouble.

So assuming his role encompasses other things than looking at player stats, I'm not sure I can make a case for him. The appointment of Bruce could be described as "safe" rather than "inspired". The appointment of Calderwood seems utterly uninspired if we're to go off the displays seen on-pitch. This latest appointment of someone he knew from his Everton days to temporarily fill a gap in a market I'm not even sure we should be looking at all that closely seems a bit odd.

The bloke could be pure genius for all I know as we don't see too much of what he does. But that was also the case with Steve Stride and I think every Villa fan of a certain age would acknowledge that he was one of the finest football administrators of his era; the results speak for themselves and at the moment they're talking like a stroke-victim.
avatar
Trotters



Posts : 9577
Reputation : 5252
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : Brisbane

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:10 pm

NARLA24 wrote:
smetro wrote:
Trotters wrote:I know nothing of our scouting network or how these things work beyond the obvious but this appointment seems to fly in the face of the what the board seems to be trying to build : long term, sustainable projects that are well researched and well put together.

This sounds totally random.

The more I hear of/from Round, the more I think he's a bullshit artist.

Agreed

I also think he is trying to justify his position/salary
Totally disagree with you guys. He is a Stat Man and that is his job. He analysis stuff via a set program. Now ,if he has chosen the wrong program then he is fucked, but i think he will prove his worth in the long term.
Lads who work at BMH see him every day, analyzing players and staff and they fully support the guy, all of them. So i think you guys are wrong to give him a slating. Just my point of view.

But surley he can't justify being a technical director if he is just a stats man ?

Also in that interview he didn't sound like he was coming here to be a stats man - would he really study a masters degree that come here just to perform such a role ? - listening to the interview he wanted to have control of most playing issues outside the first 11 (great work if you can get it eh ?) - Maybe Bruce has put him in his place and he does just do that stats.....
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2530
Reputation : 1471
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:13 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:I don't know what kind of a job he's doing. I'm impressed with our signings, which I gather he's had an hand in, but less impressed with the managers we've appointed since he's been here, although they had pluses on their arrival, I'm just not sure they tallyed up with the vision for the club that Round himself sold to fans on his arrival.

It was just the amount of people with Everton links that worried me slightly. Sometimes it's useful to work with people you already know, but I don't think that should be done at the expense of progress. To be honest I think I'm just worried we'll end up with David Moyes, lol.

Actually thinking about it having David Weir here, might increase the Warburton rumours, should we falter again this season.


^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Agree about Warbuton - if we did make a change he would be a serious contender
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2530
Reputation : 1471
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Round's role at the club is much more than dealing with stats, going by what he said in his interviews when he first joined, he's pretty much the main man at the club on the footballing side of things, that's not to say he'll be picking the team or telling Bruce to sign players that Bruce doesn't want. Just that the purpose of having Round, or someone in his role, is to give some continunity to to the club, so when we replace managers we don't have to keep changing things, basically he's meant to be developing a 'Villa way' which future managers will adhere to.

One of my concerns was that if we were going to go down the Technical Director route, is that maybe we should have gone for someone with experience in the role, rather than someone completely new to the position.

On the stat side of things that Andrew Stone guy was hired and there will probably others that we don't know about too.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 2105
Reputation : 1392
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro on Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:42 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Round's role at the club is much more than dealing with stats, going by what he said in his interviews when he first joined, he's pretty much the main man at the club on the footballing side of things, that's not to say he'll be picking the team or telling Bruce to sign players that Bruce doesn't want. Just that the purpose of having Round, or someone in his role, is to give some continunity to to the club, so when we replace managers we don't have to keep changing things, basically he's meant to be developing a 'Villa way' which future managers will adhere to.

One of my concerns was that if we were going to go down the Technical Director route, is that maybe we should have gone for someone with experience in the role, rather than someone completely new to the position.

On the stat side of things that Andrew Stone guy was hired and there will probably others that we don't know about too.

I think Andrew Stone has already left the club.

avatar
smetro



Posts : 2530
Reputation : 1471
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 54

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by 4BetLite on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:30 pm

Round is here purely to setup an operating model, the Villa way if you will, that makes individual personnel irrelevant, to give everyone a job title, that includes various duties...... job ownership! .... each individual is responsible for the jobs in their manual, the manual includes step by step guide lines that they must operate to, established by the club and not open to interpretation by its employees.  

The Aston Villa model will make intergrating new employees much easier and get them up to speed faster. I believe this will go all through the club and onto the pitch with the 1st team, a managerial style, a playing style, it will be a slow process that will be difficult to administer whilst trying to get out of this division at the same time. It all makes for a better future for this club and I'm pretty sure it is being driven by the owner.

Our last foray into the moneyball system was administered by incompetents. The current mob seem much more switched on and will get the job done, the completion time will be slow though due to the mess created by the idiots that came before them.

We are one the way, the rot has seems to be fading away.
avatar
4BetLite



Posts : 1776
Reputation : 2815
Join date : 2015-06-20
Location : Bloody Hell

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:41 pm

Last time he tweeted about Villa was on the occasion of 'the second city derby' and according to his 'twitter bio' he's formerly of us and Southampton, so he's definitely gone.


deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 2105
Reputation : 1392
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Gordonsleftboot on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:32 am

I have met Steve Round, albeit a few years ago and know that he was a highly regarded coach before moving into the TD role. I have seen him coaching and also seen videos of his coaching whilst at Middlesbrough He is not just a stats man, though he did work closely with one the companies that has developed football stats.

I'm not surprised by Narla's comments. He has a good alround back ground and if there was a gap and he could trust someone he knew to fill it, what's wrong with that? Are we saying that Scotland will never produce a decent player again?
avatar
Gordonsleftboot



Posts : 188
Reputation : 242
Join date : 2014-05-19
Location : Where I want to be

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Gordonsleftboot on Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:42 am

I have met Steve Round, albeit a few years ago and know that he was a highly regarded coach before moving into the TD role. I have seen him coaching and also seen videos of his coaching whilst at Middlesbrough He is not just a stats man, though he did work closely with one the companies that has developed football stats.

I'm not surprised by Narla's comments. He has a good alround back ground and if there was a gap and he could trust someone he knew to fill it, what's wrong with that? Are we saying that Scotland will never produce a decent player again?
avatar
Gordonsleftboot



Posts : 188
Reputation : 242
Join date : 2014-05-19
Location : Where I want to be

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Nothing wrong with having a scout for Scotland, in fact there would be something wrong in not having one or two. I just thought why not just bring in someone permanent rather than giving Weir a job until the end of the season, and then letting him go.

But as I said before I wouldn't be surprised if this is the start of positioning Warburton to take over should our form take a nose-dive between now and the end of the season.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 2105
Reputation : 1392
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Wookster on Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:05 pm

Weir has made it clear that he wants a job until next season when he wants to return to management. If hes out there scouting wont he be keeping the best finds for himself?
avatar
Wookster



Posts : 512
Reputation : 218
Join date : 2014-04-15
Location : Leeds for my sins

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Trotters on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:16 am

Another technical director has got himself into a bit of bother with the FA....



lol!
avatar
Trotters



Posts : 9577
Reputation : 5252
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : Brisbane

Back to top Go down

Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Joppe84 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:22 am

I quite like Sherwood, even if he doesn't have that much class. He kinda brings the working class bit back to football. And I've always got time for people that don't fanny about with their opinions.
avatar
Joppe84



Posts : 3533
Reputation : 2986
Join date : 2015-06-17
Location : Oslo

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum