The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Technical Director - Steve Round

+19
Trotters
deadbuzzardalive
4BetLite
Gordonsleftboot
smetro
AstonThriller
Wriggle
DelboyVilla
Saunders82
Wookster
VTID85
KMitch
avfc forever
Villa_Dan
Armchair expert
BillytheKid
AVit
Dions_Bald_Head
DaveAV1
23 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 Empty Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by smetro Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:07 pm

When you look closely he is an experienced bloke. We don't really know the remit of TD. Read somewhere it is to find players - but also to ensure a consistency in the way we recruit players\managers.
Im a bit old school - let the manager run the show - but this seems a decent if unspectacular appointment...
smetro
smetro

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 Empty Re: Technical Director - Steve Round

Post by Guest Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:49 pm

I know very little of Steve Round. He will be given a lot of responsibility here, so I hope he is good enough.

One thing I'm positive to is the fact that he is English. I like to have an English core. The manager is Italian, and I think it's smart that a lot of the backroom staff is English.

An interesting bit is the fact that Steve Round has worked with McClaren and Moyes. Two managers that like to use 433 and 4231. Guess what tactics RDM likes to utilize? That's right.

Last edited by Joppe84 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:09 pm

Ok lads here is some of Murphy's tweets before I give my opinion.

Pat Murphy

Steve Round has agreed to be @AVFCOfficial technical director, starting in Sep, after agreeing details y'day after Rotherham game. Round will oversee all football aspects at the club, will have key part in appointing managers in future & oversee recruitment of scouts and players. Also charged with developing Villa's worldwide football stature. The model is Les Reed at Soton, Dan Ashworth at West Brom.

Round's had 20 yrs of coaching experience and was no 2 to Allardyce, Moyes, McClaren. He'll be responsible for Villa's playing philosophy & every role in football dept. Round's been working worldwide recently as consultant to Man City & he'll be expected to develop @AVFCOfficial profile worldwide.

Round will NOT be a threat to RDM's job, he has no interest now in being a manager. But he will be charged with maintaining standards in the football dept. If there are to be any changes down the line, they'll be on Round's recommendation. No problem for RDM if doing his job.

Well well well...what a surprise aye? Very Happy I must say though I was expecting a "big name" TD I'm pleasantly surprised by this. Lets take a moment and have a look at some of the most successful TD's in the game right now.

Monchi from Sevilla. Played his whole at the club as a goalkeeper. Then when they were relegated in 2000 he was asked to be technical director. His job was to created a solid scouring system and to improve the youth system and he's been an absolute revelation in both departments.

Les Reed from Southampton. Never played a single league game despite being on the books of several lower league clubs. Joined the FA in the 80s and became a director of coaching and also coached some young, English talent like Owen, Joe Cole and Sol Campbell. He then left the FA and became Alan Curbishley's assistant at Charlton. He went back and forth with the FA doing several roles and also had a spell as Charlton manager where he didn't last long. He joined Fulham as Technical Director and signed Smalling from None-league, then joined Southampton when they were in League One and has been at the forefront of their recent rise up the leagues.

Steve Walsh who just joined Everton. Never played the game but served as a scout at Bury, Chester City, Chelsea (Where he scouted Zola and Drogba) and at Newcastle where he met Nigel Pearson. He left Newcastle to join Pearson as  assistant manager/scout and the results were incredible, culminating in them winning the premier league.

Dan Ashworth who is now with the FA. Doesn't appear to have had a playing career despite being on Norwich's books at one stage. Was the director of the youth department at Peterborough, then did the same role at Cambridge United. He then joined West Brom to be assistant to youth team manager Aidy Boothroyd, then when Aidy left, he took over that role. He was then promoted to technical director in 2007 and oversaw West Brom's promotion to the premiership whilst also laying the foundations for their sold structure today.

So when you look at it lads none of those guys where "big names" before they started working their magic were they? Round has had various experiences at both the top and lower levels. He's worked at Derby in the championship, seen the solid set-up at Everton when he was there, worked at the giant that is Manchester United with champions league football and so forth. And he's worked at international level with England too.

Keith Wyness will know him well of course and the fact that he was a consultant to Man City before taking this role is surely a very good thing? So though big names may be more exciting, it seems like the board have thought hard about this and have gone for someone who can lay solid foundations for the long term. And I must say I'm Ok with this.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:39 am

Found Steve Round's linkedin in page HERE . His CV confirms that he was a consultant to Man City this year and also that he has a sporting directorship masters degree.

AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Initially it feels a bit underwhelming but he will allow RDM and Co to get on with running the 1st team and just be a TD in the correct sense as apposed to some huge ego that will want to control everything.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:24 pm

Done allready guys and girls
NARLA24
NARLA24

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:28 pm

Only just seen this page man i have been out of the loop past few days lol, i think this is a solid appointment and will ensure we get some proper running and control of the club unlike the previous owner's tenure here, Tony does not mess about does he lol
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:45 am

Joppe84 wrote:I know very little of Steve Round. He will be given a lot of responsibility here, so I hope he is good enough.

One thing I'm positive to is the fact that he is English. I like to have an English core. The manager is Italian, and I think it's smart that a lot of the backroom staff is English.

An interesting bit is the fact that Steve Round has worked with McClaren and Moyes. Two managers that like to use 433 and 4231. Guess what tactics RDM likes to utilize? That's right.

I just wanted to add, that the reason I think this is important is the fact that our T.D. will be responsible for future managers, and our style of play.

It would be a huge relief in my book if we started establishing an AVFC style of play, and hired managers accordingly, and not changing tactics with every new manager.

Back to top Go down

Post by BillytheKid Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:23 pm

I also love the forward thinking and planning structure put in place ensuring we don't go from one extreme to another as we did with Lerner like O'Neil to GH then Eck then Lamberk total contrasts in there and the upheaval and change is disruptive to a club which forms inconsistency results wise because one manager one years was planning and buying players to suit long ball then the next new manager wants to form a team that plays passing football then a year later back to long ball and so on, this should stop now and keep a real plan and structure to follow in place which we have seen clubs like Saints Swansea Spurs Liverpool etc all follow and do well.
BillytheKid
BillytheKid

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:01 pm

BillytheKid wrote:I also love the forward thinking and planning structure put in place ensuring we don't go from one extreme to another as we did with Lerner like O'Neil to GH then Eck then Lamberk total contrasts in there and the upheaval and change is disruptive to a club which forms inconsistency results wise because one manager one years was planning and buying players to suit long ball then the next new manager wants to form a team that plays passing football then a year later back to long ball and so on, this should stop now and keep a real plan and structure to follow in place which we have seen clubs like Saints Swansea Spurs Liverpool etc all follow and do well.

Yep, the forward thinking ways of this administration is just a joy to hear Very Happy . Steve Round's football journey has been an interesting one. He's been at youth level, championship level, premiership level, champions league level and international level. So thankfully he's seen it all so that would have no doubt moulded his own football philosophy. Big Sam was big on sports science which Round has a degree in, Moyes is big on organisation, spending his money wisely both home and abroad and making huge profits and Mcclaren was a brilliant coach himself. So Round has also seen different characteristics of what makes a successful manager.

How he gets on here remains to be seen but if Man City felt the need to call on his services then we can only be hopeful that Steve will be the real deal for us. Like I mentioned above most of the great technical directors around today made their names at clubs who weren't exactly riding high. Infact Monchi was in the spanish second division, Les Reed in league one, Ashworth in the championship etc and it gave them time to put those important systems in place in order to build a structure that become fruitful in the end.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 7m7 minutes ago

His previous contract will be ended on 31,Aug..Officially he'll start working for @AVFCOfficial on 1,Sept..

Xia in reply to someone asking him about the TD. Didn't realise Round had a contract anywhere.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:42 pm

deadbuzzardalive wrote:Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 7m7 minutes ago

His previous contract will be ended on 31,Aug..Officially he'll start working for @AVFCOfficial on 1,Sept..

Xia in reply to someone asking him about the TD. Didn't realise Round had a contract anywhere.

Look at this article here - on Aug 11 - Spurs said Mitchell had 3 weeks to work with them ??? - What a coup that would be !!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/08/11/mauricio-pochettino-admits-disappointment-as-transfer-guru-paul/

smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Armchair expert Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:02 am

My interpretation of the search for a TD would be that it will be Mitchell from Spurs, I remember reading something about him staying until after the transfer window closes, we have also been linked with a couple of Spurs rb this week and I am sure we would get the inside track if this proves to be the case.
Please let this happen !
Armchair expert
Armchair expert

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:22 am

Welcome @armchair expert

Gotta say it never fails to impress me how some people know not only the inner workings of other clubs but who's good and who's bad. So kudos for that.

But why are we talking about [scrolls back up to recall his name] Mitchell when we have Steve Round? Are there two roles going?
Trotters
Trotters

Technical Director - Steve Round - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:18 am

With the Birmingham Mail and Pat Murphy, saying its Round, then its hard to past him. Unless he's being brought in to do a different job.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Armchair expert Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:15 am

Thanks Trotters,
My apologies I wasn't aware that Steve Round had been announced as the new TD, I saw rumours that he was linked and a tweet from Dr Tony Xia saying the role appointment would be announced the following week, with the recent tweet (from Dr Tony) about the new appointment beginning on the 1st September once his contract finishes on 31st August, I assume this to be more likely with Mitchell , Round is allegedly working part time at Derby (not listed on their website though) and wouldn't of thought that would be something that couldn't be broken. Either way I will give them my support and hopefully it will continue our upward curve of improvement which has reignited my passion and belief
Armchair expert
Armchair expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Gordonsleftboot Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:43 am

I was told by a good source on Tuesday that talks were still progressing with SR but that things looked positive.
Gordonsleftboot
Gordonsleftboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:44 pm

I thought it had been officially announced. Did I dream it? Odd fucking thing to dream about, innit?
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:53 pm

Just went back thru Xia's tweets and he has suggested an announcement date and a starting date but not a name. People asked but he's not answered.

It was Pat Murphy who "confirmed" it. Did he get it wrong????
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:19 pm

Both Murphy and Birmingham mail have said its going to be Steve Round. Only reason its being called into question is Xia's tweet saying the appointment can't be made until September, when the person in question contract runs out.

So it just depends on whether Round has a contract at the moment, if not it can't really be him, not for the Technical Assistant job at least. I'd be surprised if it wasn't now though he's probably got some short term deal at Derby.
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:03 pm

Well let's hope he sees the bigger picture and gives us the inside track on this weekends opponents
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by AstonThriller Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:20 pm

So by Thursday the new TD should be confirmed. Looks like Round for sure who seemingly had a contract with Man City, hence the wait. My only concern with Round is when it comes to the sort of managers he would recommend if/when we need a new one. When you look at the sort of managers he worked alongside in Moyes, Big Sam and Mcclaren I'd be inclined to believe he'd turn to what he knows i.e "British and knows the league".

When you consider the structures we're currently putting in place such a one eyed philosophy would be disappointing tbh. Murphy said "Ashworth and Reed are the remit" but though Ashworth done well at Albion he appointed managers all rooted in British football. I hope Round has a wider range of contacts and will search far and wide when it pertains to signing players and bringing in managers.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:24 pm

You could argue that Moyes went on to manage one of the biggest wank-fests in the world, that Big Sam is the England manager and was always better than his reputation reflected and that Schecond Choice Schteve went on to manage overseas.

But in reality, they're all bland, boring bastards that I wouldn't want here*

* unless Allardyce IS the very same one that has that epic Twitter account. In that case, he'd be perfect with Xia. Laughing
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by deadbuzzardalive Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:57 pm

Round's changed his Linkedin page now to say that he's a Sporting/Technical Director. Looks like it's going to be him.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/steve-round-83840810a
deadbuzzardalive

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:41 pm

Good spotting
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next