The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A)

+32
worcesterkev
Wriggle
WendyOz
Dions_Bald_Head
danclare82
DaveAV1
villajk
thegaffer6
Cha Ching
Wookster
gdav
Sky
FoxyAV
CoE82
VTID85
Boldfinger
Con
smetro
AstonThriller
KMitch
VillaBill
Saunders82
DomAVFC
Leafs1201
NARLA24
BillytheKid
avfc forever
The Utterer
De Kuip
Villa_Dan
avfcjay
Trotters
36 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Your predictions please...

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_lcap12%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 4 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_lcap18%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 6 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_lcap38%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_rcap 38% 
[ 13 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_lcap6%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 2 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_lcap0%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_lcap15%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_rcap 15% 
[ 5 ]
Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_lcap11%Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 I_vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 34

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 Empty Re: Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A)

Post by Nath11 Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:39 am

Now the dust has settled a little, a better time to reflect...

Gardner & Westwood... have they appeared out of hiding yet? At this level i thought they would be bossing the game, clearly not. Tish looked to struggle with the pace of the game when he came on however if/when he starts a game i believe he will prove to be better than those 2.

As much as Cissokho was shit and cant cross etc, i did feel sorry for him as he had no cover whatsoever in front of him the whole game... i believe thats RDM fault as thats not Ayew's game playing left midfield.

Gollini impressed me apart from the mistake, seems to command his box and ball at his feet he doesn't fill me with doubt compared to Guzan.

McCormack showed why he flourishes at this level, we didnt seem to spot so many little runs he was making off the shoulders of there centre backs but hopefully in time that will come as they gel. You cant play Ayew, Gestede and McCormack as it leaves us lacking in midfield and cover for the FB's.

I still think we need a ruck of players after watching that;
Right back (i think with Amavi Cissokho & Bennett we are ok for LB)
Centre Midfielder who can boss a game
Winger who can take somebody on and create chances
Creative player who can spot Ayew/McCormacks runs
Striker to compliment Ayew/McCormack

After all, i dont think yesterday was all doom and gloom. First game at that level was always going to be hard especially up against one of the form teams from the back end of last season on there own turf. Onwards and upwards hopefully!

UTV Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 4025243045
Nath11

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 Empty Re: Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A)

Post by AstonThriller Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:44 am

I have to say just thinking back on the ref I pray the officials are much better than that.

Mccormack clean through and dragged back nothing given

Hutchinson clearly checks Hutton when he was away down the wing and that ref bottles it by not giving him a second yellow

The penalty decision

etc etc...just garbage.
AstonThriller
AstonThriller

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 5_star11

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc forever Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:47 am

Disappointed with the result but it's only the first game of the season Let's hope we can get a couple of good results in our next games.
avfc forever
avfc forever

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:56 am

Is joppe the new Alf??? lets have a bit of positivity please, differing opinions are good to have but there is more to a footy match than statistics. The big turning point for me was their player not getting sent off the body check on Hutton was awful. But overall there was some good points, we know we need reinforcements in certain positions, lets hope that the management do too now. Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 3769219917
Saunders82
Saunders82

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazzle Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:29 am

Thoughts on performance; (1) Dire pair of FBs, offered nothing (this we knew, still awaiting shiny new RB) (2) Lack of creativity and muscle from centre midfield (this we know about, still awaiting corrective surgery) (3) No point at all in playing Gestede without crosses into opposition penalty area.

I know it'll upset one or two, but if that display that Gardner produced is par for the course then he has a problem. That rugby tackle yellow card was hideous, and generally I thought he looked a good bit off the pace. Cissokho must be nothing more than back-up, his constant turning back inside toward the keeper and playing balls in that direction is utterly pointless and generally invites pressure. Replace him straight away with Bennett for next games until Amavi has his full fitness back, for a big bloke Cissokho is also a bit of a pussy. So the immediate priorities are a RB & CAM for me. Also dont think that 4-4-2 suited the players we have.

Last edited by Dazzle on Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dazzle
Dazzle

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:59 am

Nath11 wrote:Now the dust has settled a little, a better time to reflect...

Gardner & Westwood... have they appeared out of hiding yet? At this level i thought they would be bossing the game, clearly not. Tish looked to struggle with the pace of the game when he came on however if/when he starts a game i believe he will prove to be better than those 2.

As much as Cissokho was shit and cant cross etc, i did feel sorry for him as he had no cover whatsoever in front of him the whole game... i believe thats RDM fault as thats not Ayew's game playing left midfield.

Gollini impressed me apart from the mistake, seems to command his box and ball at his feet he doesn't fill me with doubt compared to Guzan.

McCormack showed why he flourishes at this level, we didnt seem to spot so many little runs he was making off the shoulders of there centre backs but hopefully in time that will come as they gel. You cant play Ayew, Gestede and McCormack as it leaves us lacking in midfield and cover for the FB's.

I still think we need a ruck of players after watching that;
Right back (i think with Amavi Cissokho & Bennett we are ok for LB)
Centre Midfielder who can boss a game
Winger who can take somebody on and create chances
Creative player who can spot Ayew/McCormacks runs
Striker to compliment Ayew/McCormack

After all, i dont think yesterday was all doom and gloom. First game at that level was always going to be hard especially up against one of the form teams from the back end of last season on there own turf. Onwards and upwards hopefully!

UTV  Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 4025243045

Can't agree on Gollini - one very good save - and a couple of routine save - yes credit for that.

But command of the area ? - that looked a weakness right from the off - he seemed rooted to his line especially very early on.

Made another mistake in the 2nd half - which lead to some desperate goal line defending.

I think he needs to be eased in gradually to get the best out of him. I hope we buy another senior keeper as first choice for this season. To be honest you have to be really something special to be a first choice keeper at 21 - and the fact he is coming from overseas makes his task even more difficult. To be honest making him first choice is a daft decision by RDM.

smetro
smetro

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:05 pm

Gollini looked nervous but had a couple of bright moments. I wouldn't judge him this early, give him a few more games to see if he settles down
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:10 pm

Very disappointing result, had a feeling our quality would nick a goal but clearly i overestimated that quality and we again wasted several decent positions /opportunities. I do not see Ayew in the same light as many on here, he does some "pretty" things now and then but lacks a killer touch. Admittedly he was not helped by being shoved out wide however and this could be a repetitive issue.

Overall i expected us to look fragmented due to the major surgery which is still underway so i suppose a 0-1 defeat against a pretty well established side away on opening day is not too shameful but still bloody annoying.
The Utterer
The Utterer

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by mefromhere Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:16 pm

I know everyone seems to be obsessed by pretty football but where did our best chance come from yesterday? Long ball ... Rudy flick, McCormack running in behind, 1v1.

In McCormack we have an intelligent striker who is able to make runs on the shoulder of the last defender and we haven't had one of those for years! Either play him with Gestede for a similar style of play to that chance yesterday OR play him with Ayew and we can try and do it on the ground.

Ayew, Gestede and McCormack can't all play. It doesn't work. Drop one for Grealish and you have the answer. Round pegs fit in round holes. Simple.
mefromhere
mefromhere

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:17 pm

The Utterer wrote:Very disappointing result, had a feeling our quality would nick a goal but clearly i overestimated that quality and we again wasted several decent positions /opportunities. I do not see Ayew in the same light as many on here, he does some "pretty" things now and then but lacks a killer touch. Admittedly he was not helped by being shoved out wide however and this could be a repetitive issue.

Overall i expected us to look fragmented due to the major surgery which is still underway so i suppose a 0-1 defeat against a pretty well established side away on opening day is not too shameful but still bloody annoying.

Thing is with Ayew he always looks like a player that will be awesome ............at some point in his career ........He was the most threatening player on the pitch yesterday....but fluffed his lines at the vital moment. I would like to see him deliver the goals and assists that his game suggests he is capable of of. At the moment I see him as player who may score 1 goal in 4 or 5 - which isn't enough.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:26 pm

I think we all can agree on that Ayew is the very least of our problems. I really like him, but I can understand if others have issues with him. It must be said however he looks like Pele compared to Hutton, Cissokho, Gardner, Westwood and Gestede.

Must say Forestieri impressed me yesterday. I'd argue him and Ayew to be roughly the same quality. I think they both are EPL standard. Think Foresteri was signed for £ 3 million as well. Proves there are cheap quality in this league of you know your players.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Never thought I'd say this Joppe, (agreeing with you) but Forestieri looked superb yesterday and was a danger whenever he got the ball.
Wriggle
Wriggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:11 pm

Why does Ayew always look like he hasn't slept for 3 days? I've a 14 month old baby and I don't have bags under my eyes like him!
Wriggle
Wriggle

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:05 pm

Joppe84 wrote:I think we all can agree on that Ayew is the very least of our problems. I really like him, but I can understand if others have issues with him. It must be said however he looks like Pele compared to Hutton, Cissokho, Gardner, Westwood and Gestede.

Must say Forestieri impressed me yesterday. I'd argue him and Ayew to be roughly the same quality. I think they both are EPL standard. Think Foresteri was signed for £ 3 million as well. Proves there are cheap quality in this league of you know your players.

OK here goes nothing!

Yes I agree Joppe Ayew looks dangerous but he needs to work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game.

And that kind of flows in the performance by Forrestieri which was impressive and his goal was taken very well and he edged Ayew out for best player on the pitch for me with that. However most of the game he put himself up against Hutton who was woeful with his defending and attacking. Hutton kept on sticking out a leg and turning his back and Forrestieri murdered him every time.

mefromhere I thought Grealish looked tidy when he came on would like to see him floating around behind the front two.
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:05 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:I think we all can agree on that Ayew is the very least of our problems. I really like him, but I can understand if others have issues with him. It must be said however he looks like Pele compared to Hutton, Cissokho, Gardner, Westwood and Gestede.

OK here goes nothing!

Yes I agree Joppe Ayew  looks dangerous but he needs to work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game.

And that kind of flows in the performance by Forrestieri which was impressive and his goal was taken very well and he edged Ayew out for best player on the pitch for me with that. However most of the game he put himself up against Hutton who was woeful with his defending and attacking. Hutton kept on sticking out a leg and turning his back and Forrestieri murdered him every time.

mefromhere I thought Grealish looked tidy when he came on would like to see him floating around behind the front two.

I think Ayew needs to stop 'looking' dangerous - and start delivering.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:16 pm

smetro wrote:
DelboyVilla wrote:

OK here goes nothing!

Yes I agree Joppe Ayew  looks dangerous but he needs to work a bit harder on the defensive side of his game.

I think Ayew needs to stop 'looking' dangerous - and start delivering.
Agreed there fella. Needs some goals for confidence.
NARLA24
NARLA24

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:48 am

True. But dragging three Wednesday players around the pitch for half the game should have made him realise that he'll piss all over this league.

That game was a feeler. Now he'll cut loose and destroy all before him....whilst looking like he's about to cry.
Trotters
Trotters

Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:41 am

I fancy watching that match one more time cause I'm sure that absolutely most of our problems comes from not having ANY presence in the middle of the park, and the fact that our fullbacks couldn't position themselves correctly to save their lives.

I'm not predicting promotion this year as it takes time to settle a team, but if we get in Jedinak or someone in that mold to partner Tshibola and replace Hutton and Cissokho, then I'd be far more content about our situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:48 am

Joppe84 wrote:I fancy watching that match one more time cause I'm sure that absolutely most of our problems comes from not having ANY presence in the middle of the park, and the fact that our fullbacks couldn't position themselves correctly to save their lives.

I'm not predicting promotion this year as it takes time to settle a team, but if we get in Jedinak or someone in that mold to partner Tshibola and replace Hutton and Cissokho, then I'd be far more content about our situation.

Stated aim is promotion - IMO if RDM doesn't deliver at least the play offs he won't be here next season.

Agree about the midfield - Can't quite see why RDM has only signed 1 midfielder.

It been suggested on another forum that RDM has big business interests back in italy - the amount of time he spends on this caused friction when he was at Schalke............
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:22 am

AstonThriller wrote:
Was wondering if for future matches the match thread should be locked and a "post match" thread created? Something to think about moving forward so people won't have to go through the match posts to get to the post match reaction.

I meant to respond to his earlier. Sounds good to me. Good idea, cheers.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:57 pm

smetro wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:I fancy watching that match one more time cause I'm sure that absolutely most of our problems comes from not having ANY presence in the middle of the park, and the fact that our fullbacks couldn't position themselves correctly to save their lives.

Stated aim is promotion - IMO if RDM doesn't deliver at least the play offs he won't be here next season.

Agree about the midfield - Can't quite see why RDM has only signed 1 midfielder.

It been suggested on another forum that RDM has big business interests back in italy - the amount of time he spends on this caused friction when he was at Schalke............

Yes he only signed one midfielder?? Funny that because every other team in the Championship finished their transfer dealings before Saturday?? Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 1327487109

First game of the season and we just lost our best performing midfielder in the week leading up to the game, even though Gana had told the management he wanted to stay and then back tracked using the stupid clause in his contract inserted by the previous regime. But hey RDM should have had his crystal ball out?

What has actually been stated by our owner and directors is we need to get out of the league in the next couple of years and we will obviously ideally like it to be at the first attempt. No one has ever said that it is the end of the road for RDM if we don't get up first time!

My post may seem annoyed because I don't honestly think any manager would have come in and sorted the mess at our club out in weeks it will take many months. If RDM does get us up this year then he will have worked a miracle. What I look at so far is that all the signings are decent none of your Tonev or Sylla types and none of your Richardson or Lescott types either. In fact we have brought the best player/goalscorer in the Championship for the last few years? So let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks eh?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:58 pm

DelboyVilla wrote:
smetro wrote:

Yes he only signed one midfielder?? Funny that because every other team in the Championship finished their transfer dealings before Saturday?? Match Thread v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Page 8 1327487109

First game of the season and we just lost our best performing midfielder in the week leading up to the game, even though Gana had told the management he wanted to stay and then back tracked using the stupid clause in his contract inserted by the previous regime. But hey RDM should have had his crystal ball out?

What has actually been stated by our owner and directors is we need to get out of the league in the next couple of years and we will obviously ideally like it to be at the first attempt. No one has ever said that it is the end of the road for RDM if we don't get up first time!

My post may seem annoyed because I don't honestly think any manager would have come in and sorted the mess at our club out in weeks it will take many months. If RDM does get us up this year then he will have worked a miracle. What I look at so far is that all the signings are decent none of your Tonev or Sylla types and none of your Richardson or Lescott types either. In fact we have brought the best player/goalscorer in the Championship for the last few years? So let's see what happens over the next couple of weeks eh?

You can't compare our rebuilding to other clubs. It (I think) was obvious that RDM had a massive rebuilding job to do - where as clubs that finished well placed in championship would perhaps only be looking to add a couple. We are starting from a lower base - ergo more needed to be done.

To early to say on the players signed - And I am pretty sure more will arrive shortly  (Tony has hinted a midfielder in the team before saturday). The Idea of phoning around the players asking who wants to stay, fair play for doing it - but any manager should know that its entirely different if a prem club comes knocking - offering a signing on fee and a pay rise - well most players will want to go.

The Buck stop with the manager though - he is being backed massively by championship standards - there can be no hard luck stories (ie we've just lost our best midfielder) - Promotion or something pretty close to it , if not I don't think Tony will stand for any excuses.

Seem to remember Chris Hughton getting newcastle promoted after getting relegated in similar circumstances to our own - so it won't be easy - but it is very do able - we should at the very least be in the mix.

Midtable under the guise of team building or a 2 year project shouldn't be acceptable.
smetro
smetro

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:08 pm

smetro wrote:
DelboyVilla wrote:
smetro wrote:

You can't compare our rebuilding to other clubs. It (I think) was obvious that RDM had a massive rebuilding job to do - where as clubs that finished well placed in championship would perhaps only be looking to add a couple. We are starting from a lower base - ergo more needed to be done.

To early to say on the players signed - And I am pretty sure more will arrive shortly  (Tony has hinted a midfielder in the team before saturday). The Idea of phoning around the players asking who wants to stay, fair play for doing it - but any manager should know that its entirely different if a prem club comes knocking - offering a signing on fee and a pay rise - well most players will want to go.  

The Buck stop with the manager though - he is being backed massively by championship standards - there can be no hard luck stories (ie we've just lost our best midfielder) - Promotion or something pretty close to it , if not I don't think Tony will stand for any excuses.

Seem to remember Chris Hughton getting newcastle promoted after getting relegated in similar circumstances to our own - so it won't be easy - but it is very do able - we should at the very least be in the mix.

Midtable under the guise of team building or a 2 year project shouldn't be acceptable.

Well bringing in a load of players really worked last year didn't it?

We all know you think the appointment of RDM was a mistake but this kind of reaction after 1 loss is harsh?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:10 pm

I largely agree with Smetro regarding the rebuilding and this is where Xia is possibly loading the gun that will shoot RDM  in the foot; on the one hand he is calling for patience as it's only been a short period of time since he's taken over but then he's also giving it a yahoo about new players being bid for and a possible exciting midfielder by Saturday.

It'll be hard for him to whip up the excitement level without simultaneously whipping up the level of expectation. He's going to find it difficult to not to sack RDM come next March if we're not firmly in the top 6 because the fans on social media with be asking the hard questions.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by DelboyVilla Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Trotters wrote:I agree with that and this is where Xia is possibly loading the gun that will shoot RDM  in the foot; on the one hand he is calling for patience as it's only been a short period of time since he's taken over but then he's also giving it a yahoo about new players being bid for and a possible exciting midfielder by Saturday.

It'll be hard for him to whip up the excitement level without simultaneously whipping up the level of expectation. He's going to find it difficult to not to sack RDM come next March if we're not firmly in the top 6 because the fans on social media with be asking the hard questions.

Well I think Tony is as excitable and passionate as we fans are and I like him? Better than Lerner romantically nourishing himself in the Hamptons?
DelboyVilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next