The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Pre-season matches

+24
Army villain
UnclePanda
AstonThriller
Villa_Dan
The Utterer
holtehero
andrew24561
VTID85
avfcjay
Thinman
Mr_Spadge
Peter
Dions_Bald_Head
De Kuip
Saunders82
danclare82
achilles
avfc forever
FoxyAV
avfc85
Rawlie
Trotters
Wriggle
4BetLite
28 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pre-season matches Empty Pre-season matches

Post by 4BetLite Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:15 pm

RDM played 1 won 1, 8-0 if you like  Very Happy

Match report  here with some promising reading.

Come on the VILLA

Edit.. BTW...... Well done Stan19, an incredible achievement Sir.

More here
4BetLite
4BetLite

Pre-season matches 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Pre-season matches Empty Re: Pre-season matches

Post by Wriggle Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:02 am

Nice start, but will be good to see how we go against better opposition.

It seems RDM wants to look at all of the players, even the motley crew from last season which to me suggests he hasn't ruled anything out so we may not see those going that we had hoped for.

I'm not totally against that happening to be honest, if they have new attitudes to go with the new regime, but I'd like to think that RDM will be strong with anyone that shows the slightest hint of the attitude some had last season.
Wriggle
Wriggle

Pre-season matches 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wriggle Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:03 am

I've always thought Bennett would make a decent left mid, has can beat a player and deliver a decent cross, maybe an option to play him in front of Amavi and looks like he takes a decent free kick too!
Wriggle
Wriggle

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:06 am

Player ratings: Gak 1902 0 Aston Villa 8 - Gregg Evans gives his verdict on both Villa sides
20:03, 9 JUL 2016 UPDATED 22:12, 9 JUL 2016
BY GREGG EVANS

PIERLUIGI GOLLINI – Looked confident, alert and was quick to start attacks with some impressive distribution. Handled whatever GAK threw at him with ease.

MICAH RICHARDS – Smashed in Villa’s opening goal with a bullet header which crashed in off the underside of the crossbar. However he picked up a knock and had to be replaced midway through the first half.

TOMMY ELPHICK – Wore the captain’s armband on his debut and talked constantly to let teammates know what he wanted from them. Easy on the eye in possession , albeit under no pressure.

NATHAN BAKER – Produced one perfectly-timed blocking tackle to stop GAK best opening move in its tracks. Solid, though seldom tested.

ALY CISSOKHO – Dominated the left flank and set up two goals. Looked more like a winger than a full-back against such modest opponents.

IDRISSA GANA – Strolled through 45 minutes, kept things simple but had all the time in the world to pick his passes.

GARY GARDNER – Looked strong and imposing in the heart of Villa’s midfield. Sat deep with Gana and looked athletic and mobile as he toyed with GAK's amateurs.

CARLES GIL – In and out of the game and was allowed to roam either side of Jordan Veretout. A little sloppy in possession at times.

JORDAN VERETOUT – Found lots of space to play in as GAK couldn’t live with Villa’s superior fitness. Kept feeding the flanks, where Villa did most damage.

JORDAN AYEW – Lucky to escape injury when he was he was scythed down by one over-enthusiastic local! It’s likely that was revenge for two expertly taken goals.

LIBOR KOZAK – Made lots of intelligent runs to pull GAK defence apart. Handed a simple tap-in by Cissokho which he gratefully gobbled up.

SUB

ALAN HUTTON – Replaced the injured Micah Richards and gave his usual hard-working performance. The Scot’s athleticism was too much for the part-timers to handle

MARK BUNN – Was relieved not to be chipped after a mix-up with Joleon Lescott almost let GAK in. Fortunately the ball landed on the roof of his net.

ALAN HUTTON – Replaced the injured Micah Richards and showed his usual energy. The Scot’s athleticism was too much for the part-timers to handle, as he showed in setting up Villa’s final goal late on.

JORES OKORE – Looked solid and used the ball intelligently from the back. But in fairness he had all the time in the world to play in.

JOLEON LESCOTT – Got himself in a couple of scrapes with Mark Bunn but probably realised GAK weren’t good enough to really trouble him.

JOE BENNETT – Scored within 90 seconds of the restart with a brilliant free-kick which left GAK's goalie floundering. Repeated the feat later in the half and provided the assist for Gestede’s goal.

ASHLEY WESTWOOD – Kept things simple in midfield and just kept moving the ball around his opponents with ease.

STILYAN PETROV – Provided some silky touches as he took his first tentative steps back to action. Was caught in possession in front of his own goal to remind him match speed is very different from the training ground.

GABBY AGBONLAHOR – Worked hard during his 45 minutes and brought out one spectacular save from the GAK ‘keeper with a long range effort.

JACK GREALISH – Looked powerful and carried a real threat going forward. Appears lean, hungry and in the mood to make a big impact this season.

SCOTT SINCLAIR – His blistering pace was too hot for the Austrian amateurs to handle. However he was a little casual with his final touch at times.

RUDY GESTEDE – Missed one snip in front of goal but soon made up for it when he was on hand to tap in a couple of simple close range finishes.
Trotters
Trotters

Pre-season matches 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:13 am

Pre-season matches Image10
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Rawlie Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:11 am

Trotters wrote:Pre-season matches Image10

That's one to get the old emotions going!
Rawlie
Rawlie

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:50 am

Looking at the pictures of Stan19 on OS, I think the man has a tall order to achieve his goals, but, he's a big enough man to say it's a bit of a stretch in such an important season and I expect him to give it everything but fail to get a deal, especially considering that RDM wants a smaller squad.

Lescott did himself no favours and sounds way less then average, lets hope he gets shipped.

Not a mention of bacuna at all yesterday, could he be close to moving out, hope so.

Gollini looked competent and with excellent distribution, bodes well! Steer as backup for me please.

Richards scored and picked up a knock, maybe did enough to make it as a squad player, but his ego wont handle that considering we are in a lower league. Lets hope he finds a move or knuckles down and fights for that RB spot, but keep him away from CB position.

Gabby couldn't score vs these part timers, if a new striker is on the cards then surely gabby is the weak link and should go.

Sounds like Mr Elphick is a shoe in for captain, something I'll be voting for. Sounds rock solid and the leader we need.

LB looking better then ever Amavi and 2 competent backups.

Does RDM want Tshibola to use with Gana, if so I think we're looking at a 4-2-3-1. However, if that's the case, are we overloaded with strikers already? The press says we are after 2 more! So I'm guessing that gabby along with Kozak will be the movers. Given big Rudy's championship record, we have to give him a go.

Line up with Tshibola would possibly be the following, with the dead certs in capitals ( my choice only ).............

GOLLINI

Hutton ELPHICK OKORE AMAVI

GANA TSHIBOLA

AYEW Veretout Grealish

Gestede

I'm itching to know who RDM is looking to bring in as it changes everything and I wonder what he's making of the existing lot, they may look good against rubbish but last year speaks for itself.

4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Wriggle wrote:Nice start, but will be good to see how we go against better opposition.

It seems RDM wants to look at all of the players, even the motley crew from last season which to me suggests he hasn't ruled anything out so we may not see those going that we had hoped for.

I'm not totally against that happening to be honest, if they have new attitudes to go with the new regime, but I'd like to think that RDM will be strong with anyone that shows the slightest hint of the attitude some had last season.

I agree but its not just attitude for me it's actual ability - Lescott is over the hill, if RDM wants to keep him for experience and as 3rd cover then fine but he should be no where near the 11 if everyone is fit, that goes for a few of them.
avfc85
avfc85

Pre-season matches 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:47 am

Wriggle wrote:I've always thought Bennett would make a decent left mid, has can beat a player and deliver a decent cross, maybe an option to play him in front of Amavi and looks like he takes a decent free kick too!

That's not a bad suggestion. Does he have a right foot yet though? He could only ever kick with his left foot before and I think it hampered him as an attacking player.

I think if we're going to use Gestede it needs to be in a 4-4-2, and with Ayew next to him. It was a combination not tried last season, despite every other combination of players and formation being tried out. Bennett could be worth a try on the left wing, and he's ok defensively too. Having said that, Sinclair was an all-out winger for Swansea, and is definitely worth a try there again. He's just not good in any other position though.

So would that be Bennett or Sinclair on the left and Traore on the right, with Tshibola and Veretout or Gueye in the middle.

I'm not suggesting a 4-4-2 is the formation we should stick with all season (unless it turns out it works ok!) but it's an option, Gestede needs crosses to attack and he and Ayew would compliment each other.

Are any of the friendlies going to be on AVTV, or highlights?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Pre-season matches 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:18 pm

I thought Bennet looked like he could be turned into a decent left winger. I got the feeling he wanted to be like Ronaldo: keep trying all the fancy moves and one day it'll all come together. Maybe his loan period knocked a bit of that out of him and got him focusing on more basic football. If that's the case then he can no doubt build upon that and stake his claim.

As a left back though? A hit lightweight perhaps.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc forever Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:11 pm

Happy with the win pleased for Stan on his comeback bid with Tshibola to come in to the team I'm feeling positive for the new season.
avfc forever
avfc forever

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:10 pm

I'm getting there but if you told me the score against Wednesday will be 2-1 to someone, I still wouldn't bet my last dollar on it being us.

Replacements for Lescott, Gabby and Richards and I'll be a LOT happier.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Trotters wrote:I'm getting there but if you told me the score against Wednesday will be 2-1 to someone, I still wouldn't bet my last dollar on it being us.

Replacements for Lescott, Gabby and Richards and I'll be a LOT happier.

Agreed. But I'd add the importance of keeping our best players, i.e. Grealish, Okore, Amavi, Gana, Veretout and Ayew. Hutton as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:55 pm

all 8 goals from friendly other day here
4BetLite
4BetLite

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:03 pm

If they had Stephen Hawking in goal it'd only be 3-0.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:34 pm

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/16/telford-match-report

Match report: Telford United 1-2 Villa

Villa earned the win at Telford United with two late goals from Jordan Ayew and Aly Cissokho.

It was a case of finding our clinical touch in the closing moments after a catalogue of chances throughout the 90 minutes.

There was a spot of wasteful finishing but home goalkeeper James Montgomery was also in top form to keep the Villans at bay.

But Ayew fired home on 81 minutes to level matters and then, with moments remaining, Cissokho nodded into the net at the far post after a wonderful Ayew ball from the right.

This was the first of two senior matches on the day as another XI headed to face Worcester City.

The team included a host of first team players like Idrissa Gueye, Ashley Westwood, Scott Sinclair as well as new signings Pierluigi Gollini and Tommy Elphick.

But we trailed at the break as chances came and chances went.

David Hibbert opened the scoring with a fierce shot from outside the area on three minutes.

Rudy Gestede headed wide two minutes later and had an even better chance on 14 minutes when he nodded wide again after a pinpoint cross from Andre Green.

Seconds later Green then failed to get on the end of a Gestede shot, which was well parried by in-form Montgomery.

Sinclair headed against the post on 25 minutes after a superb Gestede nod-down while Gueye fired high over the bar on 28 minutes.

Ayew went close with a 20 yard free-kick on 33 minutes but the ball crept marginally wide.

There was more impetus at the start of the second period as the claret and Scum searched for a leveller.

Montgomery was on top of his game again on 56 minutes as Sinclair’s strong shot was parried away while the former Man City and Swansea forward skewed his shot wide three minutes later.

There was another incredible stop by Montgomery on 66 minutes as Gestede fired goalwards.

Young starlet Rushian Hepburn-Murphy entered the action on 77 minutes and he added more pace and grace to the attack.

Fellow U21 regular Green saw a cheeky chip fly just too high a moment later and Hepburn-Murphy cannoned a terrific effort off the post on 80 minutes after an incisive run.

Our breakthrough came on 81 minutes as Ayew made no mistake with a shot from just outside the area.

Ayew went close again on 85 minutes with another shot while Hepburn-Murphy cracked one just wide on 88 minutes.

Villa weren’t to be denied, though, as Cissokho nodded home to the delight of over 800 visiting fans at the back post after a fabulous floated ball by Ayew.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:36 pm

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/07/16/worcester-city-report

Match report: Worcester City 1-5 Villa

Villa recorded a comfortable pre-season friendly win over Worcester City at Stourport’s Walshes Meadow.

Aaron Tshibola featured for the first 45 minutes while Stiliyan Petrov played the second half.

First half goals from Jack Grealish and Libor Kozak gave Villa a 2-1 half-time lead after the Conference North outfit scored early on.

Rushian Hepburn-Murphy’s fine solo effort and Keinan Davis’ late brace added gloss to the scoreline.

There was a mad dash for Roberto Di Matteo, who, after watching half of his squad beat AFC Telford in the day’s earlier kick-off took his place in the dugout.

Both teams started on the front foot, clearly keen to entertain a sizeable crowd.

Jack Grealish went close while forward Gabby Agbonlahor looked lively.

At the other end, goalkeeper Mark Bunn somehow clawed away Kyle Perry’s header which seemed destined for the back of the net.

Carl Heeley’s side took the lead early doors – Matt Birley firing home a fine free-kick.

Di Matteo’s side were level on 11 minutes – Grealish slotting home.

As perhaps expected, the claret and Scum  upped the tempo and began to dictate proceedings.

Forward Kozak was unfortunate to see his back-heel drift wide after an inch-perfect cross from Scotland international and today’s captain Alan Hutton.

Kozak and Villa were not to be denied for long, though.

Clever link-up between Grealish and Jordan Veretout ended with the latter’s cross which fed Kozak – he headed his side ahead.

The visitors made a trio of changes at the break, but carried on in the same manner.

Only brave blocks from Hepburn-Murphy’s strike and Joleon Lescott’s close-range attempt prevented Villa from extending their advantage within minutes of the re-start.

They soon made it three and thanks in no small part to the half-time addition of Hepburn-Murphy, the youngster with a fine individual effort, showing pace and strength to outmuscle the Worcester centre-backs and confidently convert.

Petrov took his place in the middle of the park for the second 45 minutes and he hit a power-driver from distance – goalkeeper Draper saving well down low.

Villa remained in control with Hepburn-Murphy going close once more as well as Agbonlahor.

With six minutes of the regulation 90 minutes remaining, Villa got the goal their dominance deserved -  Davis converting Hepburn-Murphy’s cutback.

The clinical youngster then grabbed his second soon after – tapping home Joleon Lescott’s cross.

Villa first half: Bunn, Hutton (C), Toner, Okore (Lescott), Bennett, Gardner, Tshibola (Petrov), Veretout (Gil), Grealish, Agbonlahor, Kozak.

Villa second half: Bunn (Johansson 77), Hutton (C), Toner, Lescott, Bennett, Gardner, Petrov, Gil, Grealish, Agbonlahor (Davis 68), Hepburn-Murphy.
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by danclare82 Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:41 pm

As perhaps expected, the claret and Scum upped the tempo and began to dictate proceedings.
Claret and scum!? Was this match report wrote by a nose?
danclare82
danclare82

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:58 pm

danclare82 wrote:
As perhaps expected, the claret and Scum  upped the tempo and began to dictate proceedings.
Claret and scum!? Was this match report wrote by a nose?

Yep I noticed that thought it was some new footy talk
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:07 pm

Haha no it's the TBAR filter that changes b.l.u.e.s to scum. Might need a rethink lol......
De Kuip
De Kuip

Pre-season matches 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Saunders82 Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:43 pm

De Kuip wrote:Haha no it's the TBAR filter that changes b.l.u.e.s  to scum. Might need a rethink lol......

Most definitely, it needs fixing pronto lol!
Saunders82
Saunders82

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:45 am

So a total of 13 goals scored by Villa in the two games Gabby has played in and he's netted how many himself?
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:51 pm

RDM must have a reasonable idea about the players now - looking forward with interest to seeing some movement soon. With this crop, it's who leaves, rather than purchases that will reflect his judgement as a manager for me.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 pm

Bristol Rovers v Aston Villa

Gollini, Hutton, Okore, Baker, Bennett, Green, Westwood, Tshibola, Ayew, Hepburn-Murphy, Grealish

HT 0 - 1 Ayew
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:49 pm

Did Gabby feature at all?
Peter

Back to top Go down