The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The EURO 2016 Thread

+31
avfc forever
mefromhere
villajk
jeffvilla
Dazzle
Fpuppys
Lammypaul
Con
BillytheKid
De Kuip
Trotters
4BetLite
The Utterer
Wriggle
NARLA24
Villa_Dan
VillaBill
DelboyVilla
smetro
FoxyAV
Rawlie
DomAVFC
Aston Phila
Jae1411
danclare82
Boldfinger
avfc85
gdav
Cha Ching
KMitch
thegaffer6
35 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

The EURO 2016 Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The EURO 2016 Thread

Post by Con Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:58 pm

avfc forever wrote:Looking forward to tonight's game against Iceland.

about Joe Hart...

lets one in against Wales. Then does the same against Iceland.

we've won just one game this tournament. against Wales and that looked accidental to be honest. It's probably too late to bet on Iceland to win this one.
Con
Con

The EURO 2016 Thread - Page 8 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Pep Guardiola has just decided which position needs strengthening next...
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

The EURO 2016 Thread - Page 8 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Rooney was sabotaging everything in midfield second half.

Hart and Rooney.

Two players with world class reputations.

It's hard for the rest of the team to perform to a high-level when you have two tw4ts in key positions messing things up.

Hope someone took advantage of my betting tip btw.
Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 pm

"Iceland do have the ability to beat us but if we can somehow get an early goal then it should be a very easy game"

That's hilarious

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:10 pm

I had no enthusiasm at all for this England team. One or two good players really trying and a bunch of space fillers plucked from the top five or six teams in the Premier League (as usual). I'd much rather watch Germany play. They have a proper league, with affordable tickets and clubs part-owned by fans. I hope they win everything until the rest of us follow suit (or the England team is populated by Villa players).
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by UnclePanda Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:13 pm

Roy has quit! Who next?
UnclePanda
UnclePanda

The EURO 2016 Thread - Page 8 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Joppe84 wrote:"Iceland do have the ability to beat us but if we can somehow get an early goal then it should be a very easy game"

That's hilarious

To be fair, how many people would have disagreed with that pre-match punditry? All the experts were saying the same thing. But events did not turn out that way.
Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 pm

UnclePanda wrote:Roy has quit! Who next?

his old-fashioned tactics like getting every man in the box to defend set pieces were out-of-sync with the modern game.

just did not realise we could have used Sterling on the counter-attack to exploit the space behind the committed Icelandic defence.
Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by WendyOz Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:26 am

Honestly dunno why you guys get your hopes up every time. England have been shite since Don Revie was manager - and probably before that too. I think the 66 world cup was a fluke. LOL. I am constantly surprised that you are surprised when they lose.
Madness to put your faith in "Woy" Hodgson, Mclaren, Erikson etc etc etc
Until you stop importing players cos they're better - you are never going to get a team of world beaters to represent England cos there won't be any English players making the grade.
WendyOz
WendyOz

Back to top Go down

Post by De Kuip Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 am

WendyOz wrote:Honestly dunno why you guys get your hopes up every time. England have been shite since Don Revie was manager - and probably before that too. I think the 66 world cup was a fluke. LOL.  I am constantly surprised that you are surprised when they lose.
Madness to put your faith in "Woy" Hodgson, Mclaren, Erikson etc etc etc
Until you stop importing players cos they're better - you are never going to get a team of world beaters to represent England cos there won't be any English players making the grade.

Definitely agree with the first part of your post Wendy - not so much with the last bit - only 4 of the French squad play in France (and I think only 2 - Matuidi and Gignac have actually featured in games) and that doesn't seem to be a problem for them so far.

No, I think it's far, far more basic than that - for me it is about; player attitude, a basic skillset (like passing under pressure) and modern coaching/management techniques. The inflexible set up at national level, the lack of fluidity and speed of movement both on and off the ball, and someone with the ability to run at players and actually go past them is so missing for England, it's embarrassing - I actually think Rashford was in danger of the England Man of the Match award for the 8 minutes he was on the pitch - that's how glaringly obvious it has been that against teams with 2 banks of four, and with no space in behind, one of the only ways you can get through is to take people on running directly at goal, with some dribbling skills.

Our final pass or attempt on goal is woeful, and that's worrying because you can't blame the above things for why a player, in a great position, with a sight of goal or the space to put the killer pass in, simply cannot do it - I think again, that goes right back to basic coaching of skills (matched to ability) from a very young age.

I coached a lot of youth and senior (but mostly youth) football - I've got my UEFA B coaching badge, even though I haven't coached for a few years, and I tell you what, when I first qualified, I went to the bookshop to see what there was in the way of books about tools and techniques for coaching youth football. There were, on the shelf, 8 books on football violence/"firms" etc and precisely one on coaching (the Michael Owen book of coaching techniques!). That probably says a lot about the root and branch problems in our game, about the skills and techniques that clearly aren't giving us the outputs we need. Add that to millionaire footballers, dinosaur coaches and "England Expects" jingoism from the press, you get the England of last night...........

Fair play to Iceland - each player is willing to die for their shirt - they are well coached and can pass accurately and break - they close down and then spread out quickly when they win the ball. That they are where they are in the comp is no fluke - I genuinely think they are a breath of fresh air, and have clearly gone back to the very basics of football, which is working for them.

England out of Europe twice in a week - you couldn't make it up.........
De Kuip
De Kuip

The EURO 2016 Thread - Page 8 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 am

Time for yet another inquest and "building a team for Russia". New manager will come in (my money's on Pardew) and we'll do well in qualifying and then in two years time we'll be sat her talking about how shit England are after they crash out to Gibraltar. The facts are that we're clearly just not that good (played off the pitch by Iceland) and we keep picking players who have done FA- stand up Sterling and Wilshere.
Then there's the fact that English players can't cope with pressure - Kane and Hart both wilted.
We have to face up to the fact that the Prem is not as good as it's made out to be and that's why Vardy, Kane, Alli look like world beaters when really they're just ok players. We don't have one world class player and while we continue to think the Prem is the best league in the world and young English players are priced out of moves to foreivn clubs we won't. It's playing in different countries and learning how they play that makes you better - not sticking three past Stoke and thinking you're as good as Messi.
bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by Boldfinger Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:06 am

that was just like watching villa for the past few seasons
Boldfinger

The EURO 2016 Thread - Page 8 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by bruka Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

How many of this England team do you think could play for Madrid, Barca or Bayern ?
bruka

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:35 am

bruka wrote:How many of this England team do you think could play for Madrid, Barca or Bayern ?

Talking of which, it's a shame the Netherlands didn't get to the finals, robbing Bacuna the opportunity to attract a Champions League team.

I was also thinking it was like watching the Villa of late, 11 individuals with no clear strategy, seemingly left to get on with whatever they do.
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:57 am

I'm not surprised at the result at all. But I was angry at them last night. Watching Ireland I felt immense pride in my countrymen for losing but doing so with real fight and desire. I didn't see that from England.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc forever Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:47 pm

We were absolutely rubbish last night I didn't think we would play that bad so disappointed.
avfc forever
avfc forever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:57 pm

anyone see gabby playing last night, for some reason it said rooney on the back of his shirt

Back to top Go down

Post by The Utterer Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Been thinking and i feel the selection process for England is badly flawed. That team comprised of

Man City: Sterling, Hart, (2)
Liverpool: Lallana, Sturridge, Henderson (3)
Spurs: Kane, Alli, Dier, Rose, Walker (5)
Man Utd: Rooney, Rashford, Smalling (3)
Chelsea: Cahill (1)
Arsenal: Wiltshere (1)
Leicester: Vardy (1)

I know there are one or two others but those appear to be the main men.
For me Wiltshere should never have gone. He was nowhere near worthy of a place due to a severe lack of game time... and he looked very Rusty. I can only pt that down to the fact the FA wanted Arsenal represented as there is no other logical reason for it!

As for most of the others they play their club football as part of the top 5 teams (surprise surprise)..the big problem with this is that they are normally surrounded by (Non English) World class players at their clubs who in my opinion "grease the tracks" for them. In other words they have it a bit cushy at their clubs and are made to look better than they maybe are in reality when compared to other players who play for "smaller" clubs but are surrounded by a lower calibre of player.

In other words when they are surrounded by lesser lights they simply don't perform as well as their normal illusionary standard.

For me a player who plays well for a team like Southampton, Leicester or whoever is most likely at least as good if not better than his counterparts at those higher clubs because he is doing it in a lesser team and is not benefitting from being caught in the bright light of those around him.

I just think there is something in it and if you look at how well the Welsh and Icelanders have done it kind of backs it up as they virtually to a man play for much smaller teams.
The Utterer
The Utterer

The EURO 2016 Thread - Page 8 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:46 pm

Shame that Ramsey is out for the semi-final against Portugal but I still think Wales can win that game.

They are actually extremely lucky that it is "only" Portugal in the semi-final.

What a fantastic opportunity.

Shows how far a team that actually tries to win can go.
Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:25 pm

French 2 nil up after 20 minutes having no problem with Iceland. Funny that.
Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 pm

4-0 to France vs Iceland at half-time.

Wales, an all British and Premier League side, beats Portugal 3-1.

England lose to Iceland with a highly mysterious performance that included absurd set piece defence (bringing everyone back including Sterling to disable our counterattack), players unable to make 5 meter passes, and a soft goal that bobbled in under the keeper's arm.

Folks: Santa Claus isn't real.
Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:24 pm

I have a bet on 5-1 lol
This is ace

Back to top Go down

Post by Con Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:57 pm

you were unlucky. two good Iceland goals.

French didn't have the mentality or the players (Giroud and Koscienly substituted early) to get more goals in the second half, although they should have done better on a few counter-attacks. Iceland have a danger on the attack though especially at set pieces and with Siggurdson's creativity.

Con
Con

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8