The Bells Are Ringing


WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!


Manager: Roberto's own thread

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should he stay or should he go?

83% 83% 
[ 20 ]
8% 8% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
8% 8% 
[ 2 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
 
Total Votes : 24

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:57 am

@smetro wrote:

But what does that tell them ? - Lets say we win - when the next win ? - another 8 or 9 games away. A prediction from me ...RDM'S next 10 games which probably be pretty similar to his first 10. Having appointed shite manager after shite manager , I hope XIA doesn't go all cuddly on us - I thought long and hard about shelling out for 2 season tickets this year, I did because I thought we might win a few games - thats the objective - not to bankroll a guy who can't get the results even with massive resources he has.

I will be seriously pissed off - if we hang to money box face after saturday...

IF we win on Saturday then we'll be six games unbeaten and things are looking up. Do you actually want RDM to fail? Yes it's been very very frustrating but the bottom line is managers have turned things around in the past from much worse positions than what RDM is in now. At the end of the day the man isn't losing, and when that's the case it can either a winning run will eventually stem from this or it will go sour. Lets at least hope that he can get it right aye instead of holding grudges against the bloke just because he wasn't your first choice.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1589
Reputation : 1554
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Villa_Dan on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:03 am

If we win at the weekend then Bertie buys himself another game IMO, win that won and he buys the next, win that one and it's 3 wins on the spin and he's looking to have turned things around.

Draw or lose at the weekend and he's sacked.
avatar
Villa_Dan



Posts : 4145
Reputation : 3927
Join date : 2014-05-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:04 am

And here is another episode of "dumb tweet of the day"


Rory McDermott

Sacked from WBA for 1 win in 10
Sacked from Schalke for 2 wins in 10
Sacked by November at Chelsea

Di Matteo is not the man. #UTV #avfc

1. He'd got them promoted, had their best start in the top flight for years and wasn't even in the relegation zone when that happened

2. Erm he wasn't "sacked" from Schalke. He left on his own terms because he disagreed with how the board planned to move forward.

3. Chelsea were third in the table at the time

Some people really need to educate themselves on a managers record before spouting off. Benitez has been sacked three or four times in his career!!..would anyone say no to him? I don't think so.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1589
Reputation : 1554
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by smetro on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:11 am

@AstonThriller wrote:And here is another episode of "dumb tweet of the day"


Rory McDermott

Sacked from WBA for 1 win in 10
Sacked from Schalke for 2 wins in 10
Sacked by November at Chelsea

Di Matteo is not the man. #UTV #avfc

1. He'd got them promoted, had their best start in the top flight for years and wasn't even in the relegation zone when that happened

2. Erm he wasn't "sacked" from Schalke. He left on his own terms because he disagreed with how the board planned to move forward.

3. Chelsea were third in the table at the time

Some people really need to educate themselves on a managers record before spouting off. Benitez has been sacked three or four times in his career!!..would anyone say no to him? I don't think so.

I heard he was leaned on to leave schalke - because of the extensive time he spends on his other business (he owns a whole shed load of property in italy)

RDM won't turn this round. He might win on saturday. But I fear a defeat by Wolves (who have signed 13 players - and the manager arrived 2 days before the season started) would push Xia over the edge as Wolves also have chinese owners.

No I don't want RDM to fail. But can see no earthly reason why he will turn this around to the required extent.
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2464
Reputation : 1441
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:21 am

@Villa_Dan wrote:If we win at the weekend then Bertie buys himself another game IMO, win that won and he buys the next, win that one and it's 3 wins on the spin and he's looking to have turned things around.

Draw or lose at the weekend and he's sacked.

If we win against Preston then I think a draw against Wolves wouldn't be the worst result considering how well they've played. We'd also be seven games unbeaten too if that were to happen.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1589
Reputation : 1554
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:25 am

@smetro wrote:

I heard he was leaned on to leave schalke - because of the extensive time he spends on his other business (he owns a whole shed load of property in italy)

RDM won't turn this round. He might win on saturday. But I fear a defeat by Wolves  (who have signed 13 players - and the manager arrived 2 days before the season started) would push Xia over the edge as Wolves also have chinese owners.

No I don't want RDM to fail. But can see no earthly reason why he will turn this around to the required extent.

In Dols first season here we were in a relegation battle after a 4-0 trouncing at United. We then struggled to a 3-2 at home to Wolves, signed Nobby in January and never turned back. Under Houllier it was the same, struggling in a relegation battle, signed Bent and then things picked up and we finished 9th. If the bloke was losing every week then perhaps you'd be right because turning around a losing mentality can be tough. But the fact is he's not losing at all right now and it's just a matter of giving his team the belief to go out and win a game. I think when you have the talent we have that's a lot easier to achieve.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1589
Reputation : 1554
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by smetro on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:13 am

@AstonThriller wrote:
@smetro wrote:

I heard he was leaned on to leave schalke - because of the extensive time he spends on his other business (he owns a whole shed load of property in italy)

RDM won't turn this round. He might win on saturday. But I fear a defeat by Wolves  (who have signed 13 players - and the manager arrived 2 days before the season started) would push Xia over the edge as Wolves also have chinese owners.

No I don't want RDM to fail. But can see no earthly reason why he will turn this around to the required extent.

In Dols first season here we were in a relegation battle after a 4-0 trouncing at United. We then struggled to a 3-2 at home to Wolves, signed Nobby in January and never turned back. Under Houllier it was the same, struggling in a relegation battle, signed Bent and then things picked up and we finished 9th. If the bloke was losing every week then perhaps you'd be right because turning around a losing mentality can be tough. But the fact is he's not losing at all right now and it's just a matter of giving his team the belief to go out and win a game. I think when you have the talent we have that's a lot easier to achieve.

Im really not sure. Im not a manager but my approach would be to decide on a formation \ system - and then buy players to implement such a system. It seems to me RDM doesn't have a system - but has cherry picked the best players available - hence it looks great on paper - but not as a team.
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2464
Reputation : 1441
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:26 am

@smetro wrote:

Im really not sure. Im not a manager but my approach would be to decide on a formation \ system - and then buy players to implement such a system. It seems to me RDM doesn't have a system - but has cherry picked the best players available - hence it looks great on paper - but not as a team.

It looks like he went for 433 on Tuesday so for his sake I hope he sticks to that on Saturday. Remember, we've had four managers in about two years, there comes a time when we have to be patient and have a little faith. That doesn't mean RDM should get a free ride. I just think ten games is just not enough time to really see if he's good enough or not. I always felt that December time would be the right time to assess things. Although as I said previously we're all fickle in this game and a defeat on Saturday would really have me concerned.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1589
Reputation : 1554
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Boldfinger on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:09 am

when RDM took charge he had many doubters, many of them wrote 'not my first choice but i will back him' - well that lasted long. it seems to me that many people cant wait to get on either the managers back or players back - i guess some people are only happy when they are moaning.
i we were being out played and getting battered every week i could understand it but in truth we have been very unlucky in most of our games and a bit better finishing from our forwards we would have been out of sight in most games. ( the no one would give a fuck if we conceeded a late goal).

what we dont want is the fans splitting and having a negative effect on the team - especially this early.
avatar
Boldfinger



Posts : 578
Reputation : 931
Join date : 2016-01-03
Age : 44
Location : the DR is always watching !

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:11 am

@Boldfinger wrote:when RDM took charge he had many doubters, many of them wrote 'not my first choice but i will back him' - well that lasted long. it seems to me that many people cant wait to get on either the managers back or players back - i guess some people are only happy when they are moaning.
i we were being out played and getting battered every week i could understand it but in truth we have been very unlucky in most of our games and a bit better finishing from our forwards we would have been out of sight in most games. ( the no one would give a fuck if we conceeded a late goal).

what we dont want is the fans splitting and having a negative effect on the team - especially this early.

Totally agree pal
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1589
Reputation : 1554
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:18 am

My problems with RDM are:-

1. The performances aren't improving. You could argue they are getting worse?
2. The same mistakes are being made tactically over and over? He doesn't seem to be learning from his errors?
3. I don't get the feeling that there is any passion there? Sometimes this is coming out on the pitch?
4. There are some free agents out there who would undoubtedly improve the side and we are not making any moves so it seems? To improve on Westwood and Gardner would not be that difficult?

I have had my doubts build up over the past few weeks and although we are unbeaten draws get you very little in this league. You need wins and a good run of them!

Luck is a myth and it is an excuse for failure usually! No we are not getting battered each week (apart from Newcastle) but we are no longer dominating the whole game? Our team sheet is generally as strong as you get in this league yet we have one win? Do we wait until 20 games in and when it is too late make the change then or do we do it now? This is the cock on the block question for our new board?

DelboyVilla



Posts : 1001
Reputation : 1256
Join date : 2014-05-14
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by smetro on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:31 am

@DelboyVilla wrote:My problems with RDM are:-

1. The performances aren't improving. You could argue they are getting worse?
2. The same mistakes are being made tactically over and over? He doesn't seem to be learning from his errors?
3. I don't get the feeling that there is any passion there? Sometimes this is coming out on the pitch?
4. There are some free agents out there who would undoubtedly improve the side and we are not making any moves so it seems? To improve on Westwood and Gardner would not be that difficult?

I have had my doubts build up over the past few weeks and although we are unbeaten draws get you very little in this league. You need wins and a good run of them!

Luck is a myth and it is an excuse for failure usually! No we are not getting battered each week (apart from Newcastle) but we are no longer dominating the whole game? Our team sheet is generally as strong as you get in this league yet we have one win? Do we wait until 20 games in and when it is too late make the change then or do we do it now? This is the cock on the block question for our new board?

Were not getting battered ? - Really ?

So Brentford, and Derby aren't battering us - Jesus I hope Dr Tony has set the bar a little higher than that !
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2464
Reputation : 1441
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Trotters on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:35 am

I think Delboy was trying to add a little balance to his argument by saying we aren't getting battered was hoping week.

But in this league and with the money spent we SHOULDN'T get battered by anyone, any week.
avatar
Trotters



Posts : 9528
Reputation : 5201
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : Brisbane

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Trotters on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:46 am

An interesting comment was made during the Newcastle game....their goalkeeper is the ONLY ever-present in the league for them so far this season and they have 11 players on the scoresheet.

That goes some way to countering the argument about being able to pick a settled side. And that scoring record makes them unpredictable. The only time any of our players other than the strikers are likely to score is from a set piece. We really do need more from our midfield.
(/captain_obvious)
avatar
Trotters



Posts : 9528
Reputation : 5201
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : Brisbane

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by AstonThriller on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:48 am

@smetro wrote:

Were not getting battered ? - Really ?

So Brentford, and Derby aren't battering us - Jesus I hope Dr Tony has set the bar a little higher than that !

So how many saves did the keeper have to make against Brentford and Derby then? Dominating possession is one thing, "battering" a team is another thing altogether. We battered Newcastle for twenty-five minutes last week. Nothing like that happened against us versus Brentford or Derby. Infact we did that to both of them in the first half and the game should have been over.
avatar
AstonThriller



Posts : 1589
Reputation : 1554
Join date : 2014-04-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:01 am

Plus in the first 5 or 6 games I think I am correct in thinking we created more chances than anyone else in the league? I don't think that is the case for the past 4 or 5?

We are regressing in terms of performances which is my biggest worry?

DelboyVilla



Posts : 1001
Reputation : 1256
Join date : 2014-05-14
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Villa_Dan on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:19 am

What Bertie does have in his favour is that we have only been walloped by Bristol.

Yes Newcastle and others have missed sitters which could've seen them 2 or 3 goals up by halftime, but equally we have missed sitters which would've done the same for us.

Therefore he keeps making the mistakes, and we keep failing to put teams to the sword when we have the chance and we are way too close to the wrong end of the table with only a series of demoralising draws to our credit BUT we aren't far off a team which turns all the draws into wins.

Is he able to change the 1's into 3's? I'm doubting him, but it wouldn't require wholesale changes.


Last edited by Villa_Dan on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Villa_Dan



Posts : 4145
Reputation : 3927
Join date : 2014-05-13

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by smetro on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:44 am

@AstonThriller wrote:
@smetro wrote:

Were not getting battered ? - Really ?

So Brentford, and Derby aren't battering us - Jesus I hope Dr Tony has set the bar a little higher than that !

So how many saves did the keeper have to make against Brentford and Derby then? Dominating possession is one thing, "battering" a team is another thing altogether. We battered Newcastle for twenty-five minutes last week. Nothing like that happened against us versus Brentford or Derby. Infact we did that to both of them in the first half and the game should have been over.

you're original argument was we aren't get beat - mine is that with the resources we have, and the teams we are playing - we shouldn't be !

Only thing that matters is points and victories - ah but we hit the post, and had seventeen corners , played well, doesn't really cut over 10 games - strikers have to score, defenders have to defend, keepers have to make saves.

I really don't understand your defence of him - but then say 'but I will be concerned if we don't beat Preston' - how can 1 game be the tipping point ? - either he is our man or he isn't.

Irrespective of the result at Preston - I don't think he is the man to take us forward. Should we win - I think our results over the next 2 or 3 fixtures will still leave us bottom half....(ie draws and defeats - no big upturn in results)
avatar
smetro



Posts : 2464
Reputation : 1441
Join date : 2014-12-26
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by jimbop on Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:51 am

@Boldfinger wrote:when RDM took charge he had many doubters, many of them wrote 'not my first choice but i will back him' - well that lasted long. it seems to me that many people cant wait to get on either the managers back or players back - i guess some people are only happy when they are moaning.
i we were being out played and getting battered every week i could understand it but in truth we have been very unlucky in most of our games and a bit better finishing from our forwards we would have been out of sight in most games. ( the no one would give a fuck if we conceeded a late goal).

what we dont want is the fans splitting and having a negative effect on the team - especially this early.

100% we don't need the fans splitting, booing etc that is not going to help anyone, I for one fockin hate the booers!

jimbop



Posts : 2633
Reputation : 1318
Join date : 2014-04-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Trotters on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:07 pm

@Villa_Dan wrote:What Bertie does have in his favour is that we have only been walloped by Bristol.

Yes Newcastle and others have missed sitters which could've seen them 2 or 3 goals up by halftime, but equally we have missed sitters which would've done the same for us.

Therefore he keeps making the mistakes, and we keep failing to put teams to the sword when we have the chance and we are way too close to the wrong end of the table with only a serious or demoralising draws to our credit BUT we aren't far off a team which turns all the draws into wins.

Is he able to change the 1's into 3's? I'm doubting him, but it wouldn't require wholesale changes.

Balanced argument.
avatar
Trotters



Posts : 9528
Reputation : 5201
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : Brisbane

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by DelboyVilla on Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:41 pm

@Villa_Dan wrote:What Bertie does have in his favour is that we have only been walloped by Bristol.

Yes Newcastle and others have missed sitters which could've seen them 2 or 3 goals up by halftime, but equally we have missed sitters which would've done the same for us.

Therefore he keeps making the mistakes, and we keep failing to put teams to the sword when we have the chance and we are way too close to the wrong end of the table with only a series of demoralising draws to our credit BUT we aren't far off a team which turns all the draws into wins.

Is he able to change the 1's into 3's? I'm doubting him, but it wouldn't require wholesale changes.

He needs to starting winning soon because at his current points haul over the first 10 games of 10 points from a possible 30 we will only end up with 46 points at the end of the season which could be relegation points?

DelboyVilla



Posts : 1001
Reputation : 1256
Join date : 2014-05-14
Age : 47

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by deadbuzzardalive on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Dr. Tony Xia ‏@Dr_TonyXia 48m48 minutes ago

Just recorded a video2the lads as RDM asked. Hope we'll get the win this Saturday as Chinese saying:哀兵必胜!oppressed army surly will win !#UTV


Seems a strange request to make, from Di Matteo.

deadbuzzardalive



Posts : 1731
Reputation : 1263
Join date : 2014-05-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Thinman on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:44 am

No idea what Tony's tweet means so I'll ignore it.

There seems to be a feeling among many fans that patience is the key (after 5/6 years of misery?) and that sooner or later things will turn around and we'll start winning.

Why?

Surely with the players' morale getting a battering in every match its more likely that we'll start losing games not winning them.

So hang on to RDM and the best that will happen is that we'll lose out on promotion or a play off place and the worst that we get sucked down another plug hole.

With every match the latter just gets a little more realistic for me.
avatar
Thinman



Posts : 620
Reputation : 477
Join date : 2014-04-06
Location : Selly Oak

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by Trotters on Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:49 am

Player morale will be key along with their relationship with the manager. We can only assume that both are in the toilet but the opposite could well be the case and if it is, I'm sure RDM will be given more time.
avatar
Trotters



Posts : 9528
Reputation : 5201
Join date : 2014-03-09
Age : 46
Location : Brisbane

Back to top Go down

Re: Manager: Roberto's own thread

Post by DaveAV1 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:51 am

I think that's very important Trotters. If the dressing room is still in good shape then he has time. However if the cracks are beginning to show and with a number of senior pros now at the club for Round etc to get sensible feed back from, then RDM could be on the edge.

DaveAV1



Posts : 841
Reputation : 1388
Join date : 2014-05-20

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum