The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick

3 posters

Go down

Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick Empty Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick

Post by Guest Wed May 04, 2016 9:22 pm

I wanted to make a post about where we are going as a club and what I feel are importance areas where we have failed. Maybe you guys can come with whatever input you have in terms of how we can improve the club? We need to start making changes and getting some basics right again.

Firstly, I'd like to adress the importance of getting a new owner. I think without this everything else I write in this post is without meaning.

Secondly the manager. Essential to get the right one. If it's Pearson I'd more than likely grow into the idea, but I'm afraid of the fact that he did so miserably with a very good Leicester squad.

Now to the business. How can to rip out the cancer in this club and get it right? I'm sure we all have our different ideas regarding this, but I'm gonna try and adress a few points I think will make a difference.

1) Football is a team game. TEAM. I can't underline how much I feel AVFC has been a bunch of individuals. So how can we get this sorted? Well firstly we have to eliminate the people that think higher of themselves than the club. The obvious ones are Gabby, Lescott - you know the drill. But I'd add Okore here as well, but I suspect I'm alone in that one here. Secondly it's all about the replacements. I will get further into this later, but the signings we make must have ability, but more importantly they must have HUNGER and TEAM SPIRIT. If I were to bring out an example here, I must pick Marc Albrighton. I know it's a cheesy example to pick a Leicester player now, but what I always loved about Marc was the fact that he ran and gave his all every minute he played. A proper team player, a bit like Watmore at Sunderland. And while we need to pick out the right players, we need to develop a culture where this is everything.

2) Stability. I fully believe continuity and stability with not just a manager, but a squad is essential in football. To become a team you need time. This means we can't shift out key players every season. Unfortunately this means we're back in loop to an ownership discussion.

3) Signings.Alright, what signings should we make? I 100% believe that it's essential to have an English core in and English league. The added bonus to this is that English players tend to have the right mentality, until they get too much money. Another important aspect of the signings we make is making the signings when they are the right age. Especially now when we are in the championship. I believe the right age group to be 25-26. You have enough experience to hold ability and not just potential, while you still have the hunger to make something more of yourself. The really important bit is that if the team gels well, you will now have players in an age group that can play together for several seasons, while they will hold a substantial re-sale value as they are quite young (which looking at our finances will be an important aspect). Examples off my head could be players like Tim Cahill and Danny Drinkwater whom I both believe were 25 when making the permanent move to a club. I've never understood signigs like Beye, Lescott or Heskey, but this is probably why I'm not a football manager.

4) Utilizing hungry players. Giving players <25 years old the chance to prove themselves. Especially players that have come through academies with promise, but failed to deliver. How many times have we seen that some young players just need a bit more time and maybe the right people around them to make it happen. This is one of the reasons I'm keen on watching Gardner being given a fair amount next season. I know it's unlikely he'll step up, but at least he's exactly the type of player I'd like to see in my team. Athletic, English, talented, underachieved, hungry  and with a massive point to prove. I could add Drinkwater and Albrighton as examples here again, both coming through great academies, but failed to deliver and now they are coming into their stride. I fully believe this is the way to go and build a solid club. Proper clubs don't buy success, they build it. And AVFC are extremely lucky here in the sense that we have a fantastic academy.
From our 2006 batch we now have 2 league title winners, and for some reason we have decided to give them away for nothing. We MUST start using these players more frequently, and give them far more pitch time to develop. What's the point of spending money on N'Zogbia, Richards, Lescott, Gil etc. when we can just give Albrighton, Cahill, Green,  Suliman, Calder, Sellars,  Toner matches. They are professional footballers. It's absurd to spend this amount of time and money on having a fantastic academy that beats other academies on a regular basis, and not use it. Especially when you face academy products like Rashford that outplays you on a senior level. Where's the logic. Utilizing our academy talents a LOT is literally a WIN WIN WIN. They get experience, develop, we spend less money on players and wages, and more importantly we see quite clearly if they have ability worth holding on to. I might sound boring now, but this is arguably my highest wish when it comes to how Villa are run. We always have managers saying they want to use youth, and they never ever do. Just imagine a manager sticking on Suliman and Toner in a cup match instead of sticking with Richardson and Lescott. Fuck me, think I'd fly over for that alone.

5) Tactics and the team balance. I don't care what we play. 433, 442, 451, couldn't give a shit, however what I do care about is that whatever tactic we decide to use we do it with balance. An example this season is when we played Gil and Grealish, I think that made my eyes bleed. You need physical players, you need water carriers, you need the odd flair player, but it's the combination that gives you the TEAM. There's a reason why Giggs was a tracking high on the chalk line while Beckham was holding a deeper role. There's a reason why Ranieri chose to play with Mahrez on the right, while having a work horse winger in Albrighton on the left. But when you utterly fail at this you lose all defensive structure and team balance.
Another point on tactics is that whatever way we decide to play, whatever way that's the AVFC way, we do it with urgency. We do it directly. I fucking hate it when we get the ball and spend 5 minutes trying to figure out that we don't know what we're doing. It means that every attack goes against an established defence.

6) Getting rid of inept coaches. I'm gonna take Eric Black here as an example, but how on EARTH is he at this club? How can ANYONE be as stupid when it comes to handling the media and picking out line-ups?
It's totally unacceptable that these people are a part of the club. If we are to accept higher standards from youngsters and players in general, how can we then accept utter ineptness in this department. We must be ruthless. I'd like to put Kevin McDonald here as well as he was utter fucking useless and embarrassing as a stand in, but I suspect maybe he can have important roles in the academy without me knowing it.

7) Treating the fans like customers. I'm not gonna say too much of this as most of you guys are probably ST holders, but just thinking back to how the stewards dealt with the protest - it's unacceptable. We need a policy change here for sure. If we are to pack Villa Park again we can't have people treated like that.

Anyway, I wanted to talk some football so I made a post. Would love to here what you guys think is the way forward for us now. We basically have an entire club to rebuild. If this was all beer infused drivel, feel free to delete it. I won't be offended, in fact this post was therapy for me lol! .

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick Empty Re: Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick

Post by Alf T Thu May 05, 2016 4:10 am

Some very good points brother.

I won't respond to all, because I'm long-winded and it may end the thread Laughing

2: Stability
Your best point imo flog.
The TOTAL, COMPLETE, ABSOLUTE lack of stability comes from Randy Lerner. imo.
It's a culture he, or his advisors seem to be blind to.
BUT, it comes from his version of management.
10 /11 managers and caretakers in 10 years ...GOOD GRIEF. Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick 1420239857

Each Permanent Manager, gets his slice of Randy's subsidy, gets his own players, gets rid of others.
Randy's subsidy has declined over 10 years, but each Permanent Manger - EXCEPT Remi - got a slice of it.

AND SO IT GOES

The Manager in situ, changes, buys, sells...the Board members resign or get sacked...

AND SO IT GOES

That's our culture at Villa.

Under Randy.

THE INSTABILITY COMES FROM THE OWNER
......imo Sad Sad

4: Utilizing hungry players.

Our Academy is NOT the mythical Shranghi-La that some folks think.
Look across the City, the bankrupts have 5 ex-Academy players in the Premier.
2 English Internationals.One in the Champions League next year, as is Albrighton.
We have about 5 ex players who have been gone 5/10 years, developed and improved elsewhere
- nothing to do with an education with us, just a 'potential' that was cherry picked.
We sold them at top-dollar, and assumed our conveyor belt would give us more dosh,
but it didn't. We became, under MON, imo, a seller to buy cheaper.
The culture in our Academy can be summed up by Jack G and his dad.
Too many of them are too better for Villa. The era of Academy wins, never convinced any of our last 5 managers.
FIVE.
To not include them. One must ask why?
What did they see, or rather 'not see' in the prospects?
Arrogance, Over-Paid, Lack of commitment?

God Knows, but the lack of feed-through is stunning when you consider the turnover, the abandoning and so on.
We could be Stoke rather than Villa.
P.S.

Bet I've bored this thread...sorry....I've got early morning kick-offs this month and this is my wake-up time with a free of family PC....anyway, very good points flog. I hope others take up some of them.

Alf T
Alf T

Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick Empty Re: Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick

Post by Trotters Thu May 05, 2016 4:28 am

Cracking post, Flog! Very Happy

The team that wind the league usually has most of those things right. Teams that finish mistake get some right. Teams that get half the points of the team finishing 2nd last get none of them right and continue a culture of failure.

Stability only comes when you have a fair chunk of everything else right as it becomes the norm to fire the manager and blame him.

That's sometimes valid, sometimes not.

Trotters
Trotters

Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 05, 2016 8:03 am

Alf T wrote:
4: Utilizing hungry players.

Our Academy is NOT the mythical Shranghi-La that some folks think.
Look across the City, the bankrupts have 5 ex-Academy players in the Premier.
2 English Internationals.One in the Champions League next year, as is Albrighton.
We have about 5 ex players who have been gone 5/10 years, developed and improved elsewhere
- nothing to do with an education with us, just a 'potential' that was cherry picked.
We sold them at top-dollar, and assumed our conveyor belt would give us more dosh,
but it didn't. We became, under MON, imo, a seller to buy cheaper.
The culture in our Academy can be summed up by Jack G and his dad.
Too many of them are too better for Villa. The era of Academy wins, never convinced any of our last 5 managers.
FIVE.
To not include them. One must ask why?
What did they see, or rather 'not see' in the prospects?
Arrogance, Over-Paid, Lack of commitment?

Good post. I didn't know they had plenty of academy players in the Premier League. Who are they? I know about Demarai Gray as I hoped we would sign him.

My point wasn't that our academy is better than everyone else though. I just feel we need to use these players, and more importantly make them a part of our transfer strategy. If a young talented and very hungry English player was developed by Man Utd, Leeds, Southampton, us, spammers, I don't care. It's not that they need to be Villa born and bred. I just feel from a transfer point of view, they are a much better deal than playing Gil and the lot. They will be used to the English game as well, and all the other points I tried making above.

Back to top Go down

Post by smetro Thu May 05, 2016 8:15 am

Id settle for appointing the right manager - people say it can't always be the manager, but actually I think a big part of it is. When your list of previous managers include:-

Mcleish
Sherwood
Garde
Houllier
Lambert

None of which of held a regular job since leaving us (ok Garde excepted) - you can see where we have gone wrong.
smetro
smetro

Rebuilding our great club - brick by brick 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down