The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Gestede and January Signings

+9
Villa_Dan
Synopsis
ViewFromT2
Trotters
NARLA24
Army villain
VillaBill
jeffvilla
Dgrizzle7
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gestede and January Signings Empty Gestede and January Signings

Post by ViewFromT2 Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Having already succumbed to the inevitability of relegation, I still find myself looking at possibilities going forward, there are still one or two embers flickering in the distance that may ignite a flame of hope once again.
For the record, I have not been impressed at all so far with Rudi Gestede or Remi Garde. However, playing devil's advocate...and reading some interesting background on Remi Garde's time at Lyon, I wonder if he is so far just trying to get to January with what we have available, where hopefully he can bring in the players that can get us going?
Interestingly at Lyon, he switched from a 10 year trend of playing 4-3-3 at the club to a 4-4-2 diamond, that is possibly better described as a 4-3-1-2. Either way, and crucially for Rudi Gestede...his preferred system included 2 strikers.
At Blackburn, Gestede scored bags of goals and was one of the division's most effective strikers....but this was as one half of a pair! Playing in a front 2 and playing as a lone striker are two very…very different roles. It is clear Gestede is not cut out to lead the line on his own, but facts tell us he can be excellent in a pair.
The Lyon side was built around Maxime Gonalans who played the key role at the base of the diamond. The strikers were supported by either Grenier or Gourcuff in the ‘10’ role and the other two were both hard working, dynamic midfielders.
The narrow midfield system allowed the width to come from the full backs.
Initially Lacazette was used in a wide role of the 4-3-3, but when Garde made the tactical switch, Lacazette was given a central role, and what a revelation that has been.
When quizzed about January in this week’s press conference Garde mentioned looking at players for other positions and not necessarily at an out and out goalscorer. I wonder if he is looking to change Villa’s formation in the same way he did at Lyon, once he gets the players in that will be able to perform in the key areas of this system?
We don’t have anybody that can play the deep lying ‘Gonalons’ role, and is for sure a position Garde will look to fill in January. Sanchez doesn’t work hard enough, doesn’t win any tackles or headers and just gives the ball away continuously. He promised so much in the early stages of his Villa career, but has ultimately proved to not be good enough. As for Westwood…I think it’s clear that his days as a regular in a Villa shirt are gone!
In the ‘10’ role I think we have Gil and Grealish that could do it. Both have their shortcomings yes, but both may flourish in the role with defensive responsibilities removed.
As for the 2 ‘box-2-box’ types, I see Gana and Veretout as the obvious choices for now. I have been impressed with Veretout since he has been given a few starts, he is definitely one that looks to have something about him.
The crucial change in formation may just simply be giving Rudi Gestede a strike partner, and Jordan Ayew could be our Lacazette! In old fashioned football thinking, the big man/little man strike partnership was always thought to be ideal. Gestede’s aerial threat (and we did see it on Sunday first 20 mins to be fair), will occupy central defenders and may give a quicker, trickier strike partner the opportunity to get onto knock downs and exploit space between the back 4. A close up supporting ‘10’ like Gil or Grealish, playing 10 yards behind the front 2 instead 25/30 yards behind a lone striker as they are now, will be able to slip passes into Ayew as Gestede offers the decoy.
As for our back four, well Garde’s Lyon were also known for giving away poor goals continually. This was never really addressed, so maybe we will just have to deal with that. We can already see that Garde wants to use full backs to support from wide areas. Jordan Amavi is perfect for this role down the left. Obviously until he returns we have a problem, but seeing as though Garde thought Cissoko was worthy of the role at Lyon, then I fully expect him to be recalled on 1st January (if possible) and perform this role until the end of the season. Whatever you think of Cissoko…he is better than anything else we have in that position.
At right back Alan Hutton certainly knows how to support the play and makes some terrific runs. The problem is his delivery is rank shite and I would like to see Crespo given a run at right back, pretty sure he has played most of his football in the position and really can’t perform any worse than what we’ve seen this season can he?
Richards has been our best central defender and perhaps Senderos has enough left in the tank to make an impact for the remainder of the season?
I think we will definitely try to bring in a new keeper aswell. Tom Heaton if we could get him would be perfect for us.
So a goalkeeper and proper defensive midfielder are the two positions I expect Garde to look at in January. Clearly a striker would be very welcome, a natural goalscorer. But let’s be honest, there aren’t many around and those that are do not tend to move in January.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Gestede and January Signings 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Gestede and January Signings Empty Re: Gestede and January Signings

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:32 am

Gestede is shite. Fucking awful. Worst striker I've seen at this club since Michael Thomas Boulding.

I don't want to try and make him good, I want him sold and replaced. Get rid. It's easier to buy quality as opposed to turning turds to quality.

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:01 am

Joppe84 wrote:Gestede is shite. Fucking awful. Worst striker I've seen at this club since Michael Thomas Boulding.

I don't want to try and make him good, I want him sold and replaced. Get rid. It's easier to buy quality as opposed to turning turds to quality.

Think you may of missed the point of what I'm saying....if he plays he has to play in a pair, and Garde gas shown at Lyon that he prefers that kind of setup.....funnily enough, the exact thing we saw Saturday where I actually thought Gestede made an impact when he came on.
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:45 am

ViewFromT2 wrote:
Joppe84 wrote:Gestede is shite. Fucking awful. Worst striker I've seen at this club since Michael Thomas Boulding.

Think you may of missed the point of what I'm saying....if he plays he has to play in a pair, and Garde gas shown at Lyon that he prefers that kind of setup.....funnily enough, the exact thing we saw Saturday where I actually thought Gestede made an impact when he came on.

I've not been a huge fan of rudy at all,however sat was the best I've seen him play so far.

Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Gestede and January Signings 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:23 pm

The Sunday Times reckoned he made a real difference when he came on. Different opinions keep us logging in to forums. Wink
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:46 pm

He will be invaluable in the championship!
achilles
achilles

Gestede and January Signings 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Dions_Bald_Head wrote:The Sunday Times reckoned he made a real difference when he came on. Different opinions keep us logging in to forums. Wink

Nobody should need telling that he made an impact....unless they never saw the game or they don't have the knowledge to realise it!

He shook a very ropey Newcastle back 4 and they looked nervous from the minute he came on. His presence immediately freed up space for Ayew to exploit....not saying he is a top player, or even a good player....but used correctly, he will cause problems for teams.

Personally I would have liked to see Adama come on for last 20 as Newcastle were on the ropes, I really don't think they would of coped with 2 players running at them with pace!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:07 pm

I was screaming at the telly View from T2 to bring on Adama. Newcastle were right to exploit in the last 30 minutes or so. I think he would have made the difference, from having a 1-1 draw to a villa win. What do I know still 2 subs to use with fresh legs I am only a lowly supporter. UTV Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:59 pm

ViewFromT2 wrote:Nobody should need telling that he made an impact....unless they never saw the game or they don't have the knowledge to realise it!

Are you having a dig at me?
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:25 pm

The Game was perfect for Adama last 20 at least.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:32 pm

I said that  Gestede and January Signings 226846862
jeffvilla
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:35 pm

his record in the Championship is very good, we will need him, I do agree we should play two up top though, what have we to lose?
Give 442 a run!

Guzan

Hutton                  Richards           Okore           Clarke

Gana           Vertout

Adama                                                          Grealish

Rudi               Ayew
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:04 pm

Gil over Grealish any day of the week.

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:06 pm

VillaBill wrote:his record in the Championship is very good, we will need him, I do agree we should play two up top though, what have we to lose?
Give 442 a run!

Guzan

Hutton                  Richards           Okore           Clarke

Gana           Vertout

Adama                                                          Grealish

Rudi               Ayew

Interesting, Grealish and Adama offer no defensive qualities, Okore has never played on the left side of CB, Clark has been found wanting when he has played left-back before, that side is not for me, can't see us having the ball long enough to attack!

Last edited by achilles on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong spelling of Clark!!!)
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:50 pm

Well let's see what Santa has in his sack for villa in January, I hope it's a new goal keeper, midfielder that can control the midfield, and a decent striker, I hope you all have a very merry Christmas and new year, great blog,and thanks to the members who make it so, keep up the good work, UTV.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Who the hell is Clarke?

I think Ayew is perfect on the left, putting both Sinclair and Grealish out of business. We need a proven, decent striker, and if he can work with Gestede then all the better. Gestede needs service though, and at the moment that's only really coming from Hutton. Cissokho can't cross, so unless Garde can teach him how, we'd be relying on Ayew (who can). At least on the right we'd have Hutton and Traore or Gil or someone to be bought in. The other problem with relying on Ayew and Gestede as our strike force is that we don't have anyone else, assuming Kozak and Gabby are no longer welcome and would be somewhat buggered if one was injured.

Interestingly, Kozak didn't play in the U21s today (we beat Arsenal 1-2), dare we hope to see him on Boxing Day, or is that it and he's sold?
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Gestede and January Signings 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by NARLA24 Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:56 pm

FoxyAV wrote:Who the hell is Clarke?

I think Ayew is perfect on the left, putting both Sinclair and Grealish out of business. We need a proven, decent striker, and if he can work with Gestede then all the better. Gestede needs service though, and at the moment that's only really coming from Hutton. Cissokho can't cross, so unless Garde can teach him how, we'd be relying on Ayew (who can). At least on the right we'd have Hutton and Traore or Gil or someone to be bought in. The other problem with relying on Ayew and Gestede as our strike force is that we don't have anyone else, assuming Kozak and Gabby are no longer welcome and would be somewhat buggered if one was injured.

Interestingly, Kozak didn't play in the U21s today (we beat Arsenal 1-2), dare we hope to see him on Boxing Day, or is that it and he's sold?
Celtic are interested in him
NARLA24
NARLA24

Gestede and January Signings 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:57 pm

NARLA24 wrote:

Celtic are interested in him

He would get boat loads in scottish league
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Dions_Bald_Head wrote:
ViewFromT2 wrote:Nobody should need telling that he made an impact....unless they never saw the game or they don't have the knowledge to realise it!

nope. not at all
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:13 pm

Gabby never played for the U21's either, don't think we will see either anywhere near the first team again!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:18 pm

Army villain wrote:Well let's see what Santa has in his sack for villa in January, I hope it's a new goal keeper, midfielder that can control the midfield, and a decent striker, I hope you all have a very merry Christmas and new year, great blog,and thanks to the members who make it so, keep up the good work, UTV.

Those are the basic requirements, anything more would be a bonus!
achilles
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:45 pm

ViewFromT2 wrote:
Dions_Bald_Head wrote:

nope. not at all

Phew - I must've misread it. I'm very delicate.

Apparently we've put in a bid for Morgan Amalfitano - a free agent at the moment
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:53 pm

I think the comment that Ayew is putting Grealish out of business is the reason why we're not an overly threatening side.

At the moment, Ayew is our sharpest attacking tool and, as such, is easy to nullify. Put Gestede on with him and it keep opposition defenders that much busier and improves our chances of scoring.

What I'd like to see (and I accept that Grealish has gone off the boil a little but stay with me), is a front pair of Ayew and Gestede with Traore down the right and Grealish down the left.

Every time Traore gets the ball, he's immediately double teamed. Gestede has to be watched very closely if Traroe is on the gallop and so that leaves Ayew unattended to cause some chaos.

Again, with Traore on the ball,  Hutton will be as free as a bird to overlap, cut inside, feed the ball off to Gana or Veretout who can then pick out Ayew.

Should Grealish find himself on the ball, he'll likely be double teamed and Ayew ahead of him will have pulled two players out of position ready to lynch him. That leaves Gestede and Traore free.

It's all about giving the opposition a Rubik's cube to solve and, right now, we're not giving them any problems at all. Ayew has scored a couple of goals by cutting in and nailing some pretty perfect crosses but we need more team goals rather than superb individual efforts.

Yes, the above will leave us a little more exposed at the back but if Traore/Hutton and Ayew/Grealish have both the opposition full-backs and wingers pegged back, there's not a great deal of options for them to move forward with any meaningful threat...and Gana/Veretout can deal with that comfortably.

For me, we just don't play as a team properly, we have no combinations to worry the other team. The goals we do score tend to be of the "unexpected" variety.
Trotters
Trotters

Gestede and January Signings 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:04 pm

Dions_Bald_Head wrote:
ViewFromT2 wrote:
Dions_Bald_Head wrote:

nope. not at all

Phew - I must've misread it. I'm very delicate.  

Apparently we've put in a bid for Morgan Amalfitano - a free agent at the moment

I can see how you thought that reading it back to be fair....wasn't meant as a swipe at you. soz pal

Amalfitano?...hmmm...suppose could be ok on a free, we've got worse players in the squad!
ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by EbeneezerGoode Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:37 am

Trotters wrote:I think the comment that Ayew is putting Grealish out of business is the reason why we're not an overly threatening side.

At the moment, Ayew is our sharpest attacking tool and, as such, is easy to nullify. Put Gestede on with him and it keep opposition defenders that much busier and improves our chances of scoring.

What I'd like to see (and I accept that Grealish has gone off the boil a little but stay with me), is a front pair of Ayew and Gestede with Traore down the right and Grealish down the left.

Every time Traore gets the ball, he's immediately double teamed. Gestede has to be watched very closely if Traroe is on the gallop and so that leaves Ayew unattended to cause some chaos.

Again, with Traore on the ball,  Hutton will be as free as a bird to overlap, cut inside, feed the ball off to Gana or Veretout who can then pick out Ayew.

Should Grealish find himself on the ball, he'll likely be double teamed and Ayew ahead of him will have pulled two players out of position ready to lynch him. That leaves Gestede and Traore free.

It's all about giving the opposition a Rubik's cube to solve and, right now, we're not giving them any problems at all. Ayew has scored a couple of goals by cutting in and nailing some pretty perfect crosses but we need more team goals rather than superb individual efforts.

Yes, the above will leave us a little more exposed at the back but if Traore/Hutton and Ayew/Grealish have both the opposition full-backs and wingers pegged back, there's not a great deal of options for them to move forward with any meaningful threat...and Gana/Veretout can deal with that comfortably.

For me, we just don't play as a team properly, we have no combinations to worry the other team. The goals we do score tend to be of the "unexpected" variety.

+1

I would put in Gil instead of Grealish but agree completely otherwise. Why has our manager not tried something like this. Is he too scared to attack???
EbeneezerGoode
EbeneezerGoode

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next