The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Gabby Agbonlahor

+46
VillaBill
achilles
Boldfinger
Trysullvilla
smetro
ember
Synopsis
Terry Derry
MarvelVillan
NARLA24
Dazzle
Cha Ching
Dgrizzle7
Villa_Dan
avfc85
VTID85
Trotters
FoxyAV
Wookster
DaveAV1
Fpuppys
gdale1
jeffvilla
4BetLite
DomAVFC
mefromhere
EbeneezerGoode
big ming
ViewFromT2
Morgan Villa
De Kuip
DelboyVilla
Thinman
ejs1111
KMitch
GadgetMan
Deano69
bazzah
South London Villan
Army villain
Mazrim
Dions_Bald_Head
villabromsgrove
Saunders82
gdav
thegaffer6
50 posters

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 Empty Re: Gabby Agbonlahor

Post by bazzah Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:38 am

Gabby used to be a good outlet on the counter attack and used to run the channels really well but these days he seems to lack the guile and intelligence to do that. His best form over the past few seasons has been towards the end, maybe he gets fitter as the season progresses? He seems in a "comfort zone" early on. Anyway, I agree with the above posters that he is ineffective, especially if we (like TS' game plan is suggesting) are to play the ball out from back to front and with width. To do that we need real goal poachers up top, those that can get in front of their man in and around the 6 yard box. Darren Bent would be a better option then Gabby at the moment.... and that says it all!!!!
bazzah

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:02 pm

I think the Gabby criticism is over the top, I agree he has been poor for quite some time and no denying that but I don't believe he is being used to how he needs to be, he isn't a lone striker, Gabby's best form was when we were playing wingers and him alongside a target man. The strikers were poor against Man United but also the service wasn't great apart from Amavi, we needed the link up man of Gill and Grealish hopefully Traore will bring spark on the wing. For me if you are going to use Gabby effectively you need proper wingers and a target man alongside him.
avfc85
avfc85

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:13 pm

Gabby had a couple of nibbles against Bournemouth and he does have that burst of speed to open up a defence.

However, unless those runs start getting converted to goals (or assists) then I suspect Sherwood will try something different fairly quickly.

He's a player that can excite and frustrate in equal measure; put the ball into open real estate and he'll beat the defender for pace 9 times out of 10 and get bums off seats!

But I think we'll see when Traore gets a run and start whipping in crosses that Gabby has very little clue where to go in a penalty box. He rarely seems proactive with his runs, rather he waits to see where the ball is going. And most of the time, it's not near him.

The club captain thing is a bit weird so I can only assume that as well as being the clubs top scorer, he's well liked, mentors  the younger lads, works hard in training and with extra activities like Acorns and has earned the respect of everyone at the club. Maybe he's fluent in multiple languages too ( :) :) )Fair play.

But that shouldn't guarantee a place in the starting eleven if he's not pulling up trees.
Trotters
Trotters

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dions_Bald_Head Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:06 pm

As I've said, he's the only striker at the club with decent EPL experience & I really do believe that this is the only reason he's being picked. That 'seen it all before' experience is valuable for the newbies to play alongside (same with having Westwood & Clark in the 1st team). I think that the second we get another EPL-experienced player he'll be dropped.
Dions_Bald_Head
Dions_Bald_Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Mazrim Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:39 pm

No point having experience if you don't do anything with it. I'd rather have somebody raw and effective.
Mazrim
Mazrim

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 5_star12

Back to top Go down

Post by Army villain Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:08 pm

Sorry to see VB and GM retiring from being Mods,it must have been hard work, but you have kept the site protected .well done.its a great site thanks again, and yes Gabby needs to be moved on.
Army villain
Army villain

Back to top Go down

Post by Dgrizzle7 Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:22 am

I can seriously see his time in a villa shirt limited this season with the current players in. Very limited not sure were his pace has gone.
Dgrizzle7
Dgrizzle7

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgan Villa Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:19 pm

When he gets the ball he terrifies defenders but the end product is lost. I feel he still has a lot to offer in certain games against defenders lacking strength. He should not be used from the start in every game either. He would in my opinion make a good impact sub when the opposition defenders are shattered in the 60th or 70th minute his movement would wear them out more and at the right time to steal a win or nick a draw
Morgan Villa

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:25 pm

That's my opinion too. At the start of a game, defenders can sit back 6 yards off him and his threat is largely nullified. The rest of game is easy to defend against....cuz he doesn't have much of one!

Same thing if we're a goal down with ten to go and the opposition are sat back defending.

But, if it's US that are 1-0 up and the other side are pushing up the pitch looking for an equaliser, he really would be the perfect man to put on to finish the game off.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Deano69 Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:45 am

Gabby has never been in my top 10 of "PLAYERS VILLA NEED TO GET RID OF".

According to a few posters, who seem to visit various Villa forums with one intention, he's been our number 1 problem for years.

Gabby is easily good enough to play for us, even if we get back towards the top 6 in the next few years. Far from being our #1 problem, he is one of few players who can win us a game or frighten the opposition - even against the best teams out there.

He plays for us - despite the comings and goings of many managers and hundreds of other players - because he is good enough. Unless they are all wrong, including our latest favourite, Tim?

Some keyboard warriors don't like him, and they have bombarded forums with their dislike of him for years. They have their own reasons for that, but I am not convinced they are always down to footballing reasons. The personal insults are, to me, evidence of something more than just a dislike for his playing or tactical abilities.

A player does not stay in the PL ('Greatest League in the World', and all that), for 10+ years, scoring goals against the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc., if he is the; "clueless/thick as pig shit/brainless", "Championship standard at best", "overweight for years/flabby", player that some claim he is.

His scoring record, playing mainly for a poor team I might add, is what some of his biggest haters point to. They forget the fact he does not get the luxury of taking penalties, and often has to play out wide.

Add a few penalties a season to his tally, and take them away from a few other players being put forward as 'goalscoring machines', and people might get a more balanced view.

Gabby has given me more great days being a Villa fans over the last 10 years, more than any other player or manager we have had in that time. Some of them even came last season. He gets a lot of respect from me for that.

But that aside, he is still one of our better squad players. I just don't get the Villa fans that want him moved out of the club. Their motives - and in some cases pure hatred for him - are alien to me.
Deano69
Deano69

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 am

He's not good enough to start any more and hasn't been since MoN stupidly told him to go and bulk up. Squad player coming off the bench?Yes. Starting XI? No chance.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:57 am

If he wasn't "one of us" then he'd have gotten short shrift long ago.

What he adds to the team, in my opinion, is very limited. And he is brainless. I don't mean that as a personal insult, I mean that in terms of football. He has very little natural intelligence when it comes to movement in and around the box.

Yes, his goals against the bluenoses sets our world alight but he needs to be offering more.

My money says he'll be a bit-part player by the halfway point of the season.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:04 am

He is brainless, I used to know one of his old teachers - "if he wasn't good at football then he'd have been a benefits sponge" was his official feedback on him. Said he was shocked he learnt to tie his own laces! 

Gabby needs to shed the muscle and get back to being Gabby MkI - when he was just as flakey in front of goal but would at least scare defenders and create space for others

Last edited by Villa_Dan on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:08 am

Deano69 wrote:Gabby has never been in my top 10 of "PLAYERS VILLA NEED TO GET RID OF".

According to a few posters, who seem to visit various Villa forums with one intention, he's been our number 1 problem for years.

Gabby is easily good enough to play for us, even if we get back towards the top 6 in the next few years. Far from being our #1 problem, he is one of few players who can win us a game or frighten the opposition - even against the best teams out there.

He plays for us - despite the comings and goings of many managers and hundreds of other players - because he is good enough. Unless they are all wrong, including our latest favourite, Tim?

Some keyboard warriors don't like him, and they have bombarded forums with their dislike of him for years. They have their own reasons for that, but I am not convinced they are always down to footballing reasons. The personal insults are, to me, evidence of something more than just a dislike for his playing or tactical abilities.

A player does not stay in the PL ('Greatest League in the World', and all that), for 10+ years, scoring goals against the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc., if he is the; "clueless/thick as pig shit/brainless", "Championship standard at best", "overweight for years/flabby", player that some claim he is.

His scoring record, playing mainly for a poor team I might add, is what some of his biggest haters point to. They forget the fact he does not get the luxury of taking penalties, and often has to play out wide.

Add a few penalties a season to his tally, and take them away from a few other players being put forward as 'goalscoring machines', and people might get a more balanced view.

Gabby has given me more great days being a Villa fans over the last 10 years, more than any other player or manager we have had in that time. Some of them even came last season. He gets a lot of respect from me for that.

But that aside, he is still one of our better squad players. I just don't get the Villa fans that want him moved out of the club. Their motives - and in some cases pure hatred for him - are alien to me.

he is one of few players who can win us a game or frighten the opposition - even against the best teams out there.

I respect your opinion and everyone has their favorite players, however, I totally disagree, especially the comments I have highlighted.

He is not and never has been top class, he is not a winner and we have much better options available to us, I love his passion for out great club but I'm afraid times up Gabby.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:17 am

My thoughts on Gabby from Villa Talk last week:

I'm sorry, but Gabby is absolutely abysmal. He is one of the main reasons we've been so poor over the past few seasons. He's made 64 League appearances in the past 2 seasons and has only scored 10 goals and recorded 6 assists during that time. That's a goal or an assist every 4 appearances, which is awful for a forward or a winger. His first touch and dribbling ability is so poor, that I think the average central defender in the league is pretty much on par with Gabby's ability. He doesn't have any tools or tricks to call upon in his locker other than his speed and above average strength. His finishing ability is poor to average at best, and he makes the wrong decision, more often than not. His workrate is hilariously bad. He'll make a brief effort to chase down loose balls and hassle defenders at the start of a match, but after he gets called for a few fouls, he stops working all together. The worst part is that he's now our highest paid player now that we've lost Bent, Benteke, Given, and Delph, and his wages in now way reflect his contribution to the team. There is no way we'll be able to offload him to another club. Even Sunderland, and their squad of overrated English one trick ponies, wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole. The Championship is his level, but no team at that level can afford to match his 65k a week salary.

Here is a chart of how I see his performances.

1 in 10 games - Stormer: He's unplayable. Everything falls into place for him and he can run by defenders with the ball and put the ball in the net with ease. Multiple goals/assists.
1 in 10 games - Good: He pushes our attack forward and draws defenders out into making mistakes. Either logs an assist or a goal.
2 in 10 games - Average: He chases down balls, sometimes gets into good positions, and occasionally, he'll get a goal or an assist by a complete fluke or a defensive error.
4 in 10 games - Poor: Disappears for long stretches in the match. When he does get the ball, he runs into multiple defenders and loses possession. Gets frustrated, and doesn't work to get the ball back or to make forward runs. He might make one good pass or makes it through on goal a game, but will bottle it more often than not.
2 in 10 games - Abysmal: Completely anonymous on the pitch. Touches the ball maybe 1-2s a match and does nothing to help the team. Basically playing down a man.

In 8/10 games, you're more likely to get a poor showing from "Mr. Aston Villa" than you are to get an average performance, and his average isn't good enough for us. He's the first person on the teamsheet I'd drop, if I was Tim Sherwood. At his very best, Gabby should be nothing more than an impact sub, to only be used when we need someone to run at tired defenses in the last 15 minutes of a match.

I used to be a huge fan of his in the MON era. His hat trick against Man City is still one of my favorite Villa memories of all time, and I thought he was going to be a top top player for both the Villa and England after that game. Unfortunately, he's no longer that young, hungry, unknown player who just wants to play for his club anymore. He's been slacking and just going through the motions to collect a paycheck for over 5 years now. If he wasn't a Villa supporter, we would have been calling for his head a long time ago. I hope Sherwood can get him to find that desire to win again, but I think it's long gone now, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Deano69 Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am

If I listed the current Villa players that I thought were less capable than Gabby, we wouldn't be able to put a team out on Saturday.

Name me current Villa forwards that have proven they are better in the PL than Gabby?

I have to laugh at the 'love in' for these new Villa players, over people like Gabby. Most, if not all, of us had never heard of them 2-3 months ago. Yet, 2 games in with not very much 'class' on show (being polite), and they are the best thing since sliced bread. I've heard it all before. New is good, for some, but I would rather wait for the proof.

Gabby is good enough to play for us, until I see something better some along. Remember Delfouneso? You don't have to look to far back to read comments like "he's far better than Gabby, and will show him up for what he is!" Laugh, I nearly pissed myself. The list is endless of forwards that were going to push Gabby out.

Gabby should be in the first XI at the moment. If a couple of players step up and move him out, so be it. But, even then, he should remain as a decent sqaud player.

Talk of him being moved out of the club are idiotic, in my view.

P.S.

Without his goals last season, we would have been relegated (I thought I would borrow that from the 'Benteke lovers file') ;-)
Deano69
Deano69

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:25 am

Deano69 wrote:If I listed the current Villa players that I thought were less capable than Gabby, we wouldn't be able to put a team out on Saturday.

Name me current Villa forwards that have proven they are better in the PL than Gabby?

I have to laugh at the 'love in' for these new Villa players, over people like Gabby. Most, if not all, of us had never heard of them 2-3 months ago. Yet, 2 games in with not very much 'class' on show (being polite), and they are the best thing since sliced bread. I've heard it all before. New is good, for some, but I would rather wait for the proof.

Gabby is good enough to play for us, until I see something better some along. Remember Delfouneso? You don't have to look to far back to read comments like "he's far better than Gabby, and will show him up for what he is!"  Laugh, I nearly pissed myself. The list is endless of forwards that were going to push Gabby out.

Gabby should be in the first XI at the moment. If a couple of players step up and move him out, so be it. But, even then, he should remain as a decent sqaud player.

P.S.

Without his goals last season, we would have been relegated (I thought I would borrow that from the 'Benteke lovers file') ;-)

If Gabby's awful performances so far this season are we can expect from a "proven PL" striker, I'm more than happy giving Kozak, Gestede, or Ayew a run. They can't do any worse. At least with the "unproven" players, they might have a chance to surprise us as they are bedding in. With Gabby, after watching him play for us for over 10 years now, we know what we are going to get from him and it isn't much.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:25 am

My issue with Gabby is there is no end product. His pace is frightening at times and that is with him slowing down after he added bulk.
The one on one he had at Bournemouth highlighted his finishing ability. If he has too much time to think his conversion of chances to goals is poor, against Man Utd I watched how he drifted, when we had and didn't have posession, into areas that highlighted his lack of ability to read the game and add pressure. This is quite shocking with the amount of time he has been in the game and is now a senior pro.
There is no disputing his love of the club and I accept he has been playing in poor teams at times but the difference between him and Snake when wearing the armband was huge. Snake would rally the team, talk to the team after we had conceeded, gee them up and try to get them to focus. Rarely would you see that from Gabby.
When he plays wide he lacks crossing ability and in my opinion his time at the top and a first choice, first name on the team sheet days are long behind him and unlikely to come back.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Deano69 Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 am

So, are we to believe, that Sherwood is the latest professional Manager (and experienced ex-player), to be totally wrong in playing Gabby week in week out?

I would love to hear the conspiracy theories behind this. It must rank right up there with the 9/11 and Princess Diana conspiracies.

Exactly what do these managers (and ex-players) see in Gabby that, for example, KMitch does not?

Deano69
Deano69

Back to top Go down

Post by GadgetMan Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:31 am

Deano69 wrote:If I listed the current Villa players that I thought were less capable than Gabby, we wouldn't be able to put a team out on Saturday.

Gabby is good enough to play for us, until I see something better some along. Remember Delfouneso? You don't have to look to far back to read comments like "he's far better than Gabby, and will show him up for what he is!"  Laugh, I nearly pissed myself. The list is endless of forwards that were going to push Gabby out.

P.S.

For me Gabby's greatest attributes have been his pace and willingness to track back (There's a reason why so many managers have had him out wide and not centrally, he's not good enough centrally and he runs back at pace out wide) With that said, for me, he's not been good now for 3/4 years (since Young, Downing and Co left, oh and there's a reason he hasn't gone, no one has wanted him) He can still offer something and certainly isn't fat, flabby etc (makes me laugh when any footballer in the modern era is called that, they're so conditioned it's unbelievable, so it's a lazy criticism) but he should not start, but I can see why TS is starting him right now with Ayew still settling, Kozak,not fit enough and no one else capable of playing centrally. He just hasn't looked 'up for it' for ages, the odd glimpse here and there, but to me, if this is his dream and boyhood club, he doesn't seem that happy about it, even his work ethic the last two seasons has been poor for me.

I'm not a fan, however I see some of the points you're saying and agree. I think his days as a natural starter are coming to an end.
GadgetMan
GadgetMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Deano69 Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:35 am

4BetLite wrote:
Deano69 wrote:Gabby has never been in my top 10 of "PLAYERS VILLA NEED TO GET RID OF".

he is one of few players who can win us a game or frighten the opposition - even against the best teams out there.

I respect your opinion and everyone has their favorite players, however, I totally disagree, especially the comments I have highlighted.

He is not and never has been top class, he is not a winner and we have much better options available to us, I love his passion for out great club but I'm afraid times up Gabby.

Name these current players that have proven they are better options than Gabby.
Deano69
Deano69

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:38 am

Hey Deano, why don't you bake him a cake, I'm pretty sure he likes them ;-)
4BetLite
4BetLite

Gabby Agbonlahor - Page 2 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:42 am

Deano69 wrote:So, are we to believe, that Sherwood is the latest professional Manager (and experienced ex-player), to be totally wrong in playing Gabby week in week out?

I would love to hear the conspiracy theories behind this. It must rank right up there with the 9/11 and Princess Diana conspiracies.

Exactly what do these managers (and ex-players) see in Gabby that, for example, KMitch does not?

You mean Houllier (who rightfully slated Gabby as being lazy in the press, and who Gabby himself admitted would have been shipped out had Houllier stuck around another season), McLeish & Lambert (who were two of the worst Villa managers of all time, according to their records), and Sherwood (who inherited one of our worst Premier League squads ever and who dropped Gabby for a large portion of our run last season)?

Season Team Tournament Apps Mins Goals Assists Yel Red SpG PS% AerialsWon MotM Rating
2015/2016 Aston Villa EPL 2 180 - - - - 1.5 86.4 1 - 6.41
2014/2015 Aston Villa EPL 30(4) 2695 6 1 7 1 1.6 74.8 1.4 1 6.48
2013/2014 Aston Villa EPL 29(1) 2447 4 5 7 - 1.5 75.7 0.8 1 6.54
2012/2013 Aston Villa EPL 24(4) 2191 9 3 4 - 1.7 81.2 0.6 1 6.75
2011/2012 Aston Villa EPL 32(1) 2765 5 5 6 - 1.8 72.7 1.2 3 6.74
2010/2011 Aston Villa EPL 17(9) 1605 3 1 3 - 1.1 67.3 0.9 - 6.50
2009/2010 Aston Villa EPL 35(1) 3083 13 3 3 - 1.8 73.6 0.8 3 6.94

The stats don't lie. He's been atrocious since MON left.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:45 am

Also, how to you explain why managers continued to praise and select Heskey throughout his career? He was one of the worst players I've ever seen in a Villa shirt, yet 3 managers in a row, continually penciled him in one of the first names on the team sheet. Where is the conspiracy theory there?
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by ViewFromT2 Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:48 am

Kind of hard to be respectful in reply to this post, as a part of me thinks it's a wind up.......but I will refrain for the sake of peace.

Seriously though...are you related to him?

Even as a kid under O'Neill, Gabby was poor. 95% of our attacks break down around him, he doesn't have a bad touch, he has a bloody non-existent touch. He has no intelligence on the pitch whatsoever, no movement and is a woeful finisher.
73 goals in 308 appearances? He may of played wide at times, but he has played as a striker for the most part.
You could argue O'Neill got the best out of him with his direct/long ball style, and interestingly Gabby's recent adulation for Gestede and comparing him to Carew suggests Gabby knows himself that chasing knock downs and flick-ons is all he has ever been good for.

Yes he can (could) run. So what? I can hit a golf ball over 300 yards....but I can't keep it straight, so having the strength is useless without the ability to hit it straight....he has the pace, but fails to deliver anything in key areas when he has the ball, so useless also!

He is a local lad that has remained committed to the club in terms of staying loyal. By all accounts he is not the Arc Angel Gabriel behind the scenes and if only half of the rumours about him are true...then we will be better off when he is gone. However, I am convinced he has a clause in his contract regarding playing when fit. Nothing else explains how he can continually be picked ahead of other players in the squad.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. I don't even buy this "impact sub" stuff....to be an impact sub, you actually need to make an impact!!

I really wonder if fans actually assess performances of players based on what they actually do on the pitch or who they are sometimes.

ViewFromT2
ViewFromT2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next