The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Nigel Reo Coker

2 posters

Go down

Nigel Reo Coker Empty Nigel Reo Coker

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm

Yes, quite a recent player but I have to admit to being surprised at his post-B6 career. He played well for us under Houllier and many wanted us to retain him after that. His agent however, deluded himself with talk of Champions League club. I think we all will recall what happened from there. He ended up going to Bolton on a free. Following that he ended up at Ipswich and now plys his trade in the MLS for Vancouver Whitecaps alongside Kenny Miller.

NRC was brought to mind by this news: http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/west-ham/former-west-ham-captain-loses-fight-with-bike-rack

Former West Ham and Aston Villa midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker has joined the list of footballers who have picked up freak injuries off the pitch.

The now Vancouver Whitecaps midfielder is said to have suffered a ‘nasty gash’ to his face after tripping over a bike rack in the Canadian City, forcing him to miss his team’s match against Houston Dynamo this coming weekend.

OH NIGEL.

Back to top Go down

Nigel Reo Coker Empty Re: Nigel Reo Coker

Post by Trotters Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:33 pm

What's Gareth Barry doing in Vancouver?
Trotters
Trotters

Nigel Reo Coker 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Reo- Coker wasnt as bad as many make out - there have been many worse signings than him - yes he was limited but he was effective at what he did .

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:42 pm

I liked him as a player, and he played well in his last season.

Problem was that signings like him are exactly the reason that we have made such a big loss on transfers over the past few years. We paid £8.5million for him, £40K per week and then he went on a free. Of course, that is more the management's fault than Nigel's himself. I'd really have thought he'd have done better after leaving us. He was certainly good enough to have a career at the lower level or even midtable in the Premiership.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Reo-Coker was a very decent player for us. He had a great engine on him and I used to like the way when we were under pressure,say defending a lead against a good side, his battling qualities would always shine through.

I seem to recall he had quite the knack of winning possession in those kind of games and carrying the ball a long distance while our defence took the time to regroup and get their breath. I think he was a good player for what we were at the time and we probably had him for the very peak of his career.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Billy McBingo wrote:I liked him as a player, and he played well in his last season.

Problem was that signings like him are exactly the reason that we have made such a big loss on transfers over the past few years. We paid £8.5million for him, £40K per week and then he went on a free. Of course, that is more the management's fault than Nigel's himself. I'd really have thought he'd have done better after leaving us. He was certainly good enough to have a career at the lower level or even midtable in the Premiership.
Didn't he 'mark' Ronaldo out of a game as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Agree with y'all, NRC never once let us down. When we played Swipich in the Cup he was the best player on the pitch for an hour till he was knackered.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:33 pm

I always thought he was worth an England call, did he ever get one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:06 pm

Not sure mate. He did have ping-pong feet though, that I am sure of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Farrell_10 wrote:I always thought he was worth an England call, did he ever get one?

Pretty sure he didn't. He was playing for (and captaining?) the U21s long after he was too old, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:59 am

I'm sure he could have made a decent career in a grim, lower division town somewhere.

Or go to Canada if he's got his flight, accommodation and spending money sorted.
Trotters
Trotters

Nigel Reo Coker 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 am

Trotters wrote:I'm sure he could have made a decent career in a grim, lower division town somewhere.

Or go to Canada if he's got his flight, accommodation and spending money sorted.

Not a fan then?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:03 pm

And, of course, he chinned MON at Bodymoor.

Respect.

Back to top Go down

Cost him a few quid and got him frozen out of the team for a while as well.

Last edited by Firestarter on Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Firestarter wrote:And, of course, he chinned MON at Bodymoor.

Respect.
Really? I didn't know that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Yep. There was a 'disagreement' about tactics resulting in NRC decking Pubehead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Firestarter wrote:Yep. There was a 'disagreement' about tactics resulting in NRC decking Pubehead.
 Useless Without Pics

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:10 pm

I agree. Don't think it got captured on film though. Pity.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:21 pm

There are photos of NRC
There are photos of pubehead.
There is photoshop.
Trotters
Trotters

Nigel Reo Coker 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:55 pm

He was out in the cold for about half a season if I remember correctly?

Surprised MON every brought him back after that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 13, 2014 7:29 pm

It seems NRC isn't holding down a place at Vancouver

A report claims Nigel Reo-Coker will be out of Vancouver as early as May 25 and this could open up a door for FC Dallas to make a deal to increase the quality of their midfield.

Reo-Coker has spent the majority of his career in the English football system, including many years in the EPL, playing for the likes of West Ham, Bolton, Aston Villa and Ipswich Town. He has the traits needed to be a quality MLS player and in my mind he is the poor man's Yaya Toure. Nigel will sit back when needed, but he also has quality and pace to get forward when the opportunity presents itself.

Reo-Coker, English, is naturally a defensive midfielder and one would initially think that FCD already have several players in that position with Luccin, Thomas, Ulloa, Moffat, captain Andrew Jacobson and Michel on occasion, but the only two able to hold onto a spot thus far are Michel and Thomas. AJ and Moffat have been rather poor thus far in the season and Ulloa has done well, but is forced to play a simple one-two touch game with his abilities.

This opens the door for FCD to pursue Reo-Coker to improve the quality of depth Dallas will have at this position. AJ and Moffat would likely be the first choices for a trade, but it would likely have to involve a large sum of allocation money for Vancouver to be interested.

Of course these are just rumors as it stands, but Reo-Coker has been out of favor since suffering a concussion after tripping over a bike rack and only playing one minute of MLS action since then.

Reo-Coker has an extremely salary cap heavy ($400k base salary), but he is not labeled as a designated player meaning it is possible for FCD to acquire him (FCD currently hold the maximum 3 designated players.) This would force Dallas to make some moves in order to bring him in, but this could be a move that is very beneficial for Dallas going forward as the center midfield has been an issue for the past three and a half seasons and with FCD's best option, Hendry Thomas, sidelined for 6-8 weeks.

All in all, this would be difficult for the Dallas front office to pull off, but it would be an interesting, and in my opinion beneficial, move for FCD to make. Dan Hunt and Fernando Clavijo would definitely be working extra hours in the office if they were to pull this one off.

I personally would love to see this move happen for Dallas and I believe it would improve the midfield greatly. He would make an immediate impact and break into the starting XI quickly to partner with either Michel or Victor Ulloa. Andrew Jacobson, Adam Moffat and Peter Luccin have not solved any issues this season for FCD and actually created more problems with their consistent injuries. I believe it is time to bring in Reo-Coker and dump AJ, Luccin and Moffat therefore making it so we have no weak options in the midfield. FCD currently have too many defensive mids, but with the news coming out with Hendry Thomas' injury it almost becomes a necessity. Also, I would like to add that it would probably not add a CDM to the roster, as almost certainly at least one of Moffat, Luccin, or Jacobson would have to move on in order for this deal to come to fruition.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 13, 2014 9:11 pm

0800 OMFG that's a lot of money for NRC to get paid for a mickey mouse league.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jim Thu May 15, 2014 11:19 am

He was on the stand by list to go to the 2006 world cup, never got close after that

the highest problem with NRC was, at west ham he was a box to box midfielder, scored a few goals and was a handful for the opposition, then we sign him and in his infinite wisdom MON decides his hest position was covering the back four as a holding midfielder or at right back, then not playing him all together. As rumour goes, when asked by NRC why he wasn't being played, Mon told him it was because he was the biggest waste of money he had spent on a player and that's what caused the fight between them

he played his best football under houllier, being out of contract and the club in the mess it was in, its no wonder he left.

wasn't worth £8.5million mind
Jim
Jim

Nigel Reo Coker 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 15, 2014 8:43 pm

I remember being chuffed we'd signed him. Badly managed by MON but he did have ping-pong feet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down