The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Villa Keeper?

+44
The Great white walnut
VillaBill
VTID85
avfc85
Villa_Dan
big ming
Born Under The Holte End
4BetLite
KMitch
ChicoHamiltonsPants
South London Villan
thegaffer6
Fpuppys
mickeywya
TED
Dions_Bald_Head
rosco77
ejs1111
Mazrim
The Utterer
Cha Ching
Dgrizzle7
Spirit of Bosco Jankovic
avfcjoe
jbone88
UnclePanda
Jamie Gray
danclare82
GadgetMan
jeffvilla
tbarrules
mark_draper
lukevilla
bruka
ViewFromT2
Leafs1201
Aesorian
AstonThriller
FoxyAV
kimbo
HarryAVFC
Wookster
fastbackace
villabromsgrove
48 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 Empty Re: Villa Keeper?

Post by 4BetLite Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:11 pm

I really do sympathise with Kmitch, one of the best posters on here, I myself am Loyal and Patriotic but we need all our players to be of a similar standard. Rome wasn't built in a day, but we need class everywhere, we need top class GK RB CB and Striker. I like Guzan, he's a solid pro, hard worker and really cares but is just not top10 quality I'm afraid.

4BetLite
4BetLite

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:05 pm

Guzan should have seen the player bearing down on Amavi. Poor decision to pass to him at that stage of the game. Amavi had no outlet, Guzan should have pumped it forward.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:14 pm

Amavi made his first mistake as a Villa player. But Guzan put him in a shit situation. Both equally to blame.
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by ChicoHamiltonsPants Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:35 pm

if a keeper passes the ball to a defender and the defenders 2nd touch is to clear it then clearly the opposition are pressing a high line and the keeper should be aware of this. Amavi didn't even have time to clear it thats why he tried to take it past the player. The more I look at the ball out to Amavi the more I look at Guzan and think did one of those contacts fall out again!!!
ChicoHamiltonsPants

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:38 pm

ChicoHamiltonsPants wrote:if a keeper passes the ball to a defender and the defenders 2nd touch is to clear it then clearly the opposition are pressing a high line and the keeper should be aware of this. Amavi didn't even have time to clear it thats why he tried to take it past the player. The more I look at the ball out to Amavi the more I look at Guzan and think did one of those contacts fall out again!!!

Agreed, Amavi was tired, Guzan had the ball, time to be taken then hoof it up but no he tries something stupid like when he passed it to Aguero, its time to change him.
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:34 pm

4BetLite wrote:I really do sympathise with Kmitch, one of the best posters on here, I myself am Loyal and Patriotic but we need all our players to be of a similar standard. Rome wasn't built in a day, but we need class everywhere, we need top class GK RB CB and Striker. I like Guzan, he's a solid pro, hard worker and really cares but is just not top10 quality I'm afraid.

lol... I'm not defending Guzan because we're both American, I just think the fault was more with Amavi there. Instead of trying to pass or at the very least boot it out of play, he tries to dribble around his man. That's Fullback 101.

I also don't get all the Guzan hate that's come up since his Man City howler. I'll admit that his distribution needs major work, and can be downright atrocious at times, but he is an incredibly solid keeper, and can still be a starter for a top 10 team. His shot stopping ability, positioning, command of the area, and crossing/corner clean up is fantastic, and I think we'll be hard pressed to find another readymade keeper as good or better before the window shuts. That said, his distribution has gotten a little better this season so far. I've noticed that he doesn't just boot it up field aimlessly at every opportunity, and actually tries to pass to a fullback or one of our midfielders who drops back, at least when Gestede isn't on the pitch.
KMitch
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by 4BetLite Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:29 am

KMitch wrote:
4BetLite wrote:I really do sympathise with Kmitch, one of the best posters on here, I myself am Loyal and Patriotic but we need all our players to be of a similar standard. Rome wasn't built in a day, but we need class everywhere, we need top class GK RB CB and Striker. I like Guzan, he's a solid pro, hard worker and really cares but is just not top10 quality I'm afraid.

lol...  I'm not defending Guzan because we're both American, I just think the fault was more with Amavi there.  Instead of trying to pass or at the very least boot it out of play, he tries to dribble around his man.  That's Fullback 101.

I also don't get all the Guzan hate that's come up since his Man City howler.  I'll admit that his distribution needs major work, and can be downright atrocious at times, but he is an incredibly solid keeper, and can still be a starter for a top 10 team.  His shot stopping ability, positioning, command of the area, and crossing/corner clean up is fantastic, and I think we'll be hard pressed to find another readymade keeper as good or better before the window shuts.  That said, his distribution has gotten a little better this season so far.  I've noticed that he doesn't just boot it up field aimlessly at every opportunity, and actually tries to pass to a fullback or one of our midfielders who drops back, at least when Gestede isn't on the pitch.

I disagree with all but shot stopping, I feel like I'm watching a different player to the one you describe.

Regarding the incidence that cost us a point yesterday, his choice of distribution was a mistake which he compounded by not being vocal enough to warn Amavi of the player baring down on him and then doesn't get to a shot that was possibly savable. As for Amavi, you do not get time on the ball in this league and he needs to learn that fast.

We need aspecial strategy for the last 5mins of every game unless we are losing. The amount of late goals we have conceded in the last 3 years is incredible, the only comment denominator being Brad Guzan.
4BetLite
4BetLite

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:55 am

I think Guzan has his faults along the lines outlined by many above. I do think his command of the area has improved this season, but his main problem is when he has the ball at his feet. He made one mistake yesterday and we were punished, that's the nature of being a goalkeeper.

For me though Replacing Guzan isn't an immediate problem. If we had taken our chances when the score was still 0-0 then we wouldn't be having this conversation. I won't go on about Gabby as this is the wrong thread, but you all know what I mean. A new reliable goal scorer is our priority, but that is the hardest position in any team to fill.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:24 am

Poor decision maker. Poor distribution and kicking.

What does he work on all week?
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:13 am

Racing to the edge of his box with the ball in his hands looking like he's going to pump it long for the quick release of the strikers. 

You watch him. He does it nearly every time. 

"I'm gonna punt it. I am. You know I am. Look at my body language. Here I go. Long hoof coming. Go go run I'm gonna do it. Here it comes. Ready? Nah just kidding. LOL"
Trotters
Trotters

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by South London Villan Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:21 am

90 minutes up, scores level, don't give the ball away and invite pressure on yourself. Guzans lack of awareness by passing short to Amavi allowed the mistake he made happen. The other players should have made themselves available also, but the choice of pass was the wrong one, Richards, Clark, Gana told him as well.
South London Villan
South London Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:37 am

Every forum I have been on, the American contingent always seem to find excuses for Guzan, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but he just isn't good enough at this level. I would much rather have a steady eddy than someone who has a brilliant game then is absolutely atrocious in the next. The main factor for me and is for most, is that you can't call yourself a top GK when you have the kicking of a 12yr old.

The biggest facts for me that Guzan isn't good enough, he couldn't dislodge Friedel as GK in the villa team until he left and also Howard had to take a break to get a sniff in the national team.
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:51 am

The problem with getting rid of Guzan, is who do you replace him with? Even the rich clubs seem to struggle with this. I think we may have to develope one of our own and stick with what we have for now. Apparently we have given a young goalie from Bury a week's "secret" trial.

I think avfc85's comment regarding Friedel and Howard are probably the most telling though.
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Under The Holte End Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Guzan is poor at making the correct decisions during a game and I'm sorry to say he will continue to be like that until he leaves.

I don't know about you but he certainly doesn't inspire me or give me any confidence and I would imagine that's how the defenders in front of him feel as well.

Trouble is as stated, who can we get in?
Born Under The Holte End
Born Under The Holte End

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:33 pm

According to my best friend who is a Norwich fan, Bunn is a brilliant keeper. Guzan has cost us too many goals over the last few months of last season and has made too many errors already this season.

You have to earn your shirt and, once earned, it's your to lose. As far as I'm concerned, he's done enough to lose it.

Time to give Bunn a go.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:34 pm

South London Villan wrote:90 minutes up, scores level, don't give the ball away and invite pressure on yourself. Guzans lack of awareness by passing short to Amavi allowed the mistake he made happen. The other players should have made themselves available also, but the choice of pass was the wrong one, Richards, Clark, Gana told him as well.

Spot on. His focus and decision making even when under zero pressure is poor.
Trotters
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Under The Holte End Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:51 pm

Trotters wrote:According to my best friend who is a Norwich fan, Bunn is a brilliant keeper. Guzan has cost us too many goals over the last few months of last season and has made too many errors already this season.

You have to earn your shirt and, once earned, it's your to lose. As far as I'm concerned, he's done enough to lose it.

Time to give Bunn a go.

Even from my limited time watching him and seeing him on video , Bunn is an all-round better keeper than Guzan so I agree with these comments.
Born Under The Holte End
Born Under The Holte End

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Bunn did very well in preseason, though he is a bit small in stature iirc. I'd buy Heaton for 10-15 and sell Guzan for 4-5.

Back to top Go down

Post by big ming Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:06 pm

Born Under The Holte End wrote:Guzan is poor at making the correct decisions during a game and I'm sorry to say he will continue to be like that until he leaves.

I don't know about you but he certainly doesn't inspire me or give me any confidence and I would imagine that's how the defenders in front of him feel as well.

Trouble is as stated, who can we get in?

Marshall from Cardiff?
big ming

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Rumours had it that TS looked at Heaton before his contract extension. Just offer 8 million and be done with it

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:36 pm

Heaton and Afobe would probably cost us the same as Austin and I'd be happier with those 2 tBH
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Villa Keeper? - Page 6 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by avfc85 Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 am

Guzan was poor again yesterday, still can't kick - still passes the ball out in dangerous positions, can we please just go and buy a quality keeper.
avfc85
avfc85

Back to top Go down

Post by VTID85 Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:07 pm

It bothers me how frequently the rest of the team play the ball back to him - winds me up no end in fact, he's a liability with his touch and distribution.
VTID85

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:21 pm

his hesitation annoys me , there was an instance yesterday when he collected the ball , a quick throw & we were away, he hesitated, opposition got organised, chance gone.
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveAV1 Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Would we get £4-5m for Guzan?
DaveAV1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next