The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Sunderland v Aston Villa Sat 14th March 3pm

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Battle or Bottle?

68% 68% 
[ 19 ]
25% 25% 
[ 7 ]
7% 7% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 28

Re: Sunderland v Aston Villa Sat 14th March 3pm

Post by thegaffer6 on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 pm

Gabby just looks transformed, what a performance today!
thegaffer6

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:57 pm

It's weird. Normally you get a new manager a win a couple thanks to the new manager bounce, than a team loses one and everyone wonders how the manager will respond. We lost our first 2 under Sherwood and he still managed to pick us up and get us going in matches.
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by KMitch on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:01 am

My mates sent me texts congratulating me on the win today, like I had something to do with it. hahaha... It's been a long time since that has happened. I'm so proud of my beloved Villa today.
KMitch

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:14 am

@Villa_Dan wrote:Anyone else looking forward to MOTD tonight?

Our fans on the pitch was the worst thing since the holocaust by the way BBC described it so I assume they'll absolutely rinse the Mackems throwing things at Poyet no?
h

There were a few people there that, had it not been for security, would have been in the sunderland team area and doing some physical damage. It will be interesting to see how the media react to that.

Seeing the mackems  pouring out of the ground ten minutes before half time was quite something. I feel sorry for them, to be honest. I don't mind Sunderland so much. Had it been the delusional geordie hoardes id be laughing my tits off.

-------------------------

Guzan - 6: not a lot to do but read the game well when Sunderland threatened with the long ball. His distribution is still galactically shit.

Bacuna - 9: MOM and superb performance from box to box.

Okore - 7: sound. Although any ball around waist height always seems to cause him difficulties.

Clark - 8: solid as a rock.

Lowton - 7: solid enough. Needs to forward a bit more.

Nzog - 8: never thought I'd see that name and that number again. He's on fire.

Delph - 7: kept things ticking over nicely.

Cleverley - 7: when the ball is moving quickly, he's good. When we play the half-paced game, he's pointless.

Sinclair - 7: superb movement. Box to box and always running. A shame he fluffed his lines from 6 yards.

Gabby - 8: John O'Shit will be having nightmares for weeks. He was the Gabby of old.

Benteke - 7.5: that he still has more to come is scary. What a beast.

Russian Audrey-Hepburn - 6: looked scared as fuck coming on but played with confidence although th team were only in first gear so he didn't have a lot of movement and support around him. Well done to Sherwood for realising there was an opportunity to give him a stress-free run.

Sherwood - 9.5: needed to get it right...and he nailed it. Loses half a point for not getting Kinsella out for 5 or 10.

Yes, Sunderland were shit on a biblical scale but these last few weeks, Sherwood has shown that he can put out a team to fight, to attack, to scrap. He's proved that we have the players to keep possession and to score goals. He's proved that we're not, and never should have been, relegation fodder. And he's done that without using Charlie Heel who has been a sensation since arriving (not sure what's going on in the background there) and without Hutton today who has also been one of our best players.

Sherwood has shown he can be flexible in his formation and tactics; shown he can get the players to operate under instruction as to play the game; shown he can get them playing with confidence.

Ultimately, he's shown Lambert (and the people who maintained until the end that no other manager anywhere could get any decent results out of this lot of players) how utterly delusional they  were. We've a long way to go and a Cup knock out and a couple of losses and we're back to square one. But, unlike Lambert, he's not had the luxury of any real kind of honeymoon period yet he's proving he's the man for the job.

So far I can't fault him too much at all. Anyone after Lambert would have suited me. Literally anyone. So I'm fucking delighted Sherwood is turning out so well.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:20 am

@Trotters wrote:
@Villa_Dan wrote:Anyone else looking forward to MOTD tonight?

Our fans on the pitch was the worst thing since the holocaust by the way BBC described it so I assume they'll absolutely rinse the Mackems throwing things at Poyet no?
h

There were a few people there that, had it not been for security, would have been in the sunderland team area and doing some physical damage. It will be interesting to see how the media react to that.

Seeing the mackems  pouring out of the ground ten minutes before half time was quite something. I feel sorry for them, to be honest. I don't mind Sunderland so much. Had it been the delusional geordie hoardes id be laughing my tits off.

-------------------------

Guzan - 6: not a lot to do but read the game well when Sunderland threatened with the long ball. His distribution is still galactically shit.

Bacuna - 9: MOM and superb performance from box to box.

Okore - 7: sound. Although any ball around waist height always seems to cause him difficulties.

Clark - 8: solid as a rock.

Lowton - 7: solid enough. Needs to forward a bit more.

Nzog - 8: never thought I'd see that name and that number again. He's on fire.

Delph - 7: kept things ticking over nicely.

Cleverley - 7: when the ball is moving quickly, he's good. When we play the half-paced game, he's pointless.

Sinclair - 7: superb movement. Box to box and always running. A shame he fluffed his lines from 6 yards.

Gabby - 8: John O'Shit will be having nightmares for weeks. He was the Gabby of old.

Benteke - 7.5: that he still has more to come is scary. What a beast.

Russian Audrey-Hepburn - 6: looked scared as fuck coming on but played with confidence although th team were only in first gear so he didn't have a lot of movement and support around him. Well done to Sherwood for realising there was an opportunity to give him a stress-free run.

Sherwood - 9.5: needed to get it right...and he nailed it. Loses half a point for not getting Kinsella out for 5 or 10.

Yes, Sunderland were shit on a biblical scale but these last few weeks, Sherwood has shown that he can put out a team to fight, to attack, to scrap. He's proved that we have the players to keep possession and to score goals. He's proved that we're not, and never should have been, relegation fodder. And he's done that without using Charlie Heel who has been a sensation since arriving (not sure what's going on in the background there) and without Hutton today who has also been one of our best players.

Sherwood has shown he can be flexible in his formation and tactics; shown he can get the players to operate under instruction as to play the game; shown he can get them playing with confidence.

Ultimately, he's shown Lambert (and the people who maintained until the end that no other manager anywhere could get any decent results out of this lot of players) how utterly delusional they  were. We've a long way to go and a Cup knock out and a couple of losses and we're back to square one. But, unlike Lambert, he's not had the luxury of any real kind of honeymoon period yet he's proving he's the man for the job.

So far I can't fault him too much at all. Anyone after Lambert would have suited me. Literally anyone. So I'm fucking delighted Sherwood is turning out so well.

Great post and one I wholeheartedly agree with!
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill on Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:00 pm

If Carlsberg could do a perfect fortnight for a football fan.........................

What are these feelings i thought long lost ? Optimism , confidence , excitement ?

So far , so good Mr Sherwood ! UTV !
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:31 pm

The great thing is here is that I'd be surprised to see a bend-over-and-take-it performance out of this team....and least until the Sherwood effect becomes old and tired.

The test will be how we perform against Man Utd. We certainly shouldn't be giving them their annual roll-over routine.

His biggest challenge will be the FA Cup. Delivering somethg that the vast majority of Villa fans haven't seen us win will make him and instant cult hero even if he got us relegated twice in successive seasons. He'll want the cup badly. The players, regardless of whether they still want to be at this club or not, will also want it so the motivation is there. Can Sherwood get the tactics right?
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by ember on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:09 pm

I'd agree with that, Trotters. He's had me do a complete turnaround as much as the players. After Hull, I posted on here that we were gone. We'd dropped through the trapdoor.

Fortunately, the club acted quickly and fucked clown's shoes off but I was filled with trepidation at who they appointed. For the duration of this season at least, I'm going to be wrong on that score.

He's got the players playing and believing they can play. He'll have them believing they are a match for anyone - but he won't always be right on that. We will lose again this season but we won't get buttfucked again, I don't think. He's reminded the players where their stones are and the ones playing are up for it. The ones not playing can see what they have to do if they want to get on the pitch - desire and intensity.

I'll be very surprised if we don't squeeze some points out of the likes of Yanited, Spurs, and Man C, let alone Swansea and Everton. If Dour Dark Cloud had still been here, we'd still be in the relegation zone and nailed on for fuck all from the top teams and little to nothing from the rest. Whether we get past Liverpool, I don't know - again, without the axe swing we wouldn't even be playing the scouse gits, let alone contemplating their defeat.

As it stands, we can do them, we're carrying a lot of topspin and full-strength squad willing, Tim is canny enough, I think, to engineer a victory.

I may be suffering 16th place altitude sickness and delirium but I'm not fearing anyone right now. As I said, I think we will suffer some reverses but I don't approach games with that slightly nauseous feeling the erstwhile manager engendered in me. At least I know we'll have an attitude of "Who want's some, you slaaags?!" and we'll attack and I'll be entertained even if we lose.

I won't be watching us play backward triangles before losing the ball and scrambling after it or watching one of Guzan's shit-awful punts upfield as our only source of forward movement.
ember

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo on Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:34 pm

I think the biggest thing is knowing that even if we do get beat - hell, even if we take a dicking - against say either of the Manchester clubs, at least we know we'll give it a go. That's huge for me. I'll never forgive the timid nonsense put out by Lambert. 

Sherwood is right; we don't have the players to sit back, so why bother? Okay we might get beat but as he said in his first press conference, it's about time we threw a few punches ourselves.
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:29 am

Sherwood has already said "If we go down, we go down fighting" that's all we can ask for rather than the timid performance we were seeing under Mr Lambert !
Bring em on !
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:01 pm

Cant say fairer than that Villabill. It was nice to see the players with a fire in there belly, passing the ball forward and being positive. Gabby is a different player the beast is scouring, its a good time to be a villa supporter. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:02 pm

Did anyone else notice commentators weren't referring to a big victory for Aston Villa but a complete collapse for Sunderland? I was listening to the radio last night and when someone asked what was the biggest story of the weekend - Villa's victory or Burnley beating ManC and I thought 'finally!' but then the first commentator said 'or we should turn it around and say the big collapse at Sunderland' and I said rude things back to him. When Arsenal beat us 5-0 I seem to recall it was a good victory for them and not a crap display by us. I still can't find it in myself to blame Lerner but I wouldn't wish Lambert or Faulkner on anyone. Sherwood is almost single-handedly giving us our pride back but I think he's only here because of Fox. I'm not just now thinking we can remain in the PL but looking forward to what these two can do with - and for - our club.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by achilles on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:31 pm

I was talking exactly about this yesterday, in the fact that everybody was saying how bad Sunderland played and not just how good Villa were especially in the first half, still perhaps its for the best as Villa can keep a low profile while picking up wins along the way when other teams play so badly against us!  Wink
achilles

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Yes, I'm all for people saying Man City have blown it or Tottenham are falling apart etc while we walk away with surprise wins  Laughing
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV on Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:50 pm

@achilles wrote:I was talking exactly about this yesterday, in the fact that everybody was saying how bad Sunderland played and not just how good Villa were especially in the first half, still perhaps its for the best as Villa can keep a low profile while picking up wins along the way when other teams play so badly against us!  Wink

I agree! At the moment no one's exactly sure which players Sherwood will field or in which formation, although with Sinclair, Benteke and Gabby scoring and with Bacuna, Lowton and Delph helping out and causing trouble I think what it comes down to is who the other two players outside of the defence will be. Saturday was I think the first time this season we've not seen either Westwood or Sanchez start.
FoxyAV

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffvilla on Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Could not believe it first on match of the day, and we featured on match choice on sky. Who would have thunk it.
And yes villa may have played like Barcelona, and the press would always say that the other team played poorly.
Look at the Man city game, they were crap nothing mentioned. Spurs got a panning due to manure united   started to play better than they have all season.  The London press hate the midlands team, half of them are either Chelski or united fans. Getting totally racked off with the biased in the press. Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
jeffvilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum