The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Premier League explore taking one regular-round match abroad

Go down

Premier League explore taking one regular-round match abroad

Post by Con on Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:40 am

They cannot do this unless the Premier League breaks-away into a non-relegation format.

The change would be too unfair on the lower half of the table clubs. Points won in home games is usually how they stay in the Premier League.

Losing one of your home games so it can be played abroad could be the difference between staying up and being relegated.

It would be great for the top clubs who have two Premier League quality squads and players who are used to travelling for Champions League and internationals. They can manage the jet-lag and disruption.

Another factor is the fans, as I suspect it is unlikely season ticket prices will be reduced just because this season your team is playing one less game at home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29532996[/mention] wrote:The Premier League is once again considering the idea of playing competitive matches abroad.

The concept of a '39th game' was aborted back in 2008 amid fierce criticism.

But clubs are now understood to be considering playing an existing, rather than extra, round of matches overseas, keeping the season at 38 games.

Talks are at an early stage but such a proposal could come to fruition by the end of the decade.

Con

Back to top Go down

Re: Premier League explore taking one regular-round match abroad

Post by kimbo on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:32 am

I was disgusted when it was suggested last time, and I hope it's met with the same 'fuck off' as it was before. If anything, as you've said, it's unfair on most (not us, we're shit at home Laughing) so it is even worse this time round.
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:39 am

In order for the clubs to be able to cover the cost of players one of two things needs to happen:

1. They tell agents and players that they can no longer afford stupid numbers like 40,000/week and instead will pay a maximum of 10,000 (think about how stupid that number still is!!)

2. They keep trying to expand the bubble.

Obviously, every time a club (or the PL) comes up with new, inventive ideas to make money, agents suck up 95% of it for their players. It's a ridiculous business model that simply cannot continue.

As a business, killing your competitors off is great! But it's counter productive in football as you can't play with yourself. So it's up to the clubs to look at their businesses, get together and agree a cap of some sort. Problem is, some clubs will fuck everyone else over just because they figure they can.
Trotters

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbo on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:46 am

@Trotters wrote:In order for the clubs to be able to cover the cost of players one of two things needs to happen:

1. They tell agents and players that they can no longer afford stupid numbers like 40,000/week and instead will pay a maximum of 10,000 (think about how stupid that number still is!!)

Obviously, every time a club (or the PL) comes up with new, inventive ideas to make money,  agents suck up 95% of it for their players. It's a ridiculous business model that simply cannot continue.

As a business, killing your competitors off is great! But it's counter productive in football as you can't play with yourself. So it's up to the clubs to look at their businesses, get together and agree a cap of some sort. Problem is, some clubs will fuck everyone else over just because they figure they can.

The insane thing is that No 1 is the simplest and best solution but it will just lead to a breakaway league. I remember Pierre van Hooijdonk getting offered £8k a week at Celtic, and saying it was okay for a homeless person. I can't imagine he's the only type of delusional twatty scumbag prick wanker that would think this, I'm sure there are loads of them.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again - the only reason I even still bother with football is because I love Aston Villa, and i just can't walk away from them; because honestly, I hate the game now.
kimbo

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:07 pm

@kimbo wrote:
@Trotters wrote:In order for the clubs to be able to cover the cost of players one of two things needs to happen:

Obviously, every time a club (or the PL) comes up with new, inventive ideas to make money,  agents suck up 95% of it for their players. It's a ridiculous business model that simply cannot continue.

The insane thing is that No 1 is the simplest and best solution but it will just lead to a breakaway league. I remember Pierre van Hooijdonk getting offered £8k a week at Celtic, and saying it was okay for a homeless person. I can't imagine he's the only type of delusional twatty scumbag prick wanker that would think this, I'm sure there are loads of them.

I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again - the only reason I even still bother with football is because I love Aston Villa, and i just can't walk away from them; because honestly, I hate the game now.

I pretty much think this too mate.
Green Villan

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm disgusted by this entire concept. Luckily the TV rights are fixed for the next 5 years so it cannot happen any time before then.

If this happens and one game in the season is played in another country then I will be done with football completely. I'll give up my season ticket and Sky Sports and will have nothing to do with the game.
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:10 pm

@kimbo wrote:

I remember that one too, and don't forget Ashley arseCole had to pull over in his car because he felt physically sick about being offered only 40 grand a week or something by Arsenal!!!
whiteensign

Back to top Go down

Post by whiteensign on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:16 pm

As for the actual idea of playing games all over the world, it's bollocks and I hope to god it never happens. "Congratulations on purchasing your season ticket sir, we also offer good deals on flights and accommodation for our home game with Hull City in Hong Kong on November 10th"
Bullshit!!!

I'm sure the people of Los Angeles can't wait for QPR v Burnley Wink
whiteensign

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum