The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

The Bells Are Ringing

WAIT!

The ads on this site tend to screw the formatting up a bit and make your visit less pleasant.

But we pay for the ads to be removed for members so why not sign up and have a better viewing experience?

Go on....Sign up. There's no messing about, it's a 20 second job!

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread

+36
marko63
holtehero
UnclePanda
kevpants
Dions_Bald_Head
Steveallen79
VTID85
switters
Hornso
FoxyAV
GhostDad
Tomy-Flemba
GadgetMan
HarryAVFC
Cathal Coughlan's Dog
mDigital
snitum
De Kuip
kirramp
CTVillan
Wookster
Staffslion
Thinman
Gracon73
Morpheus
mefromhere
Stratfordvilla
VillaBill
achilles
Trotters
villashrew
Green Villan
villabromsgrove
Villa_Dan
My Old Man
Jim
40 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Result prediction:

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap8%Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap45%Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 45% 
[ 18 ]
Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap33%Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 33% 
[ 13 ]
Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap10%Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 4 ]
Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap4%Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 40

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Aston Villa v Hull City match thread

Post by My Old Man Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:06 pm

Eastie wrote:Delph man of match for me but well done to all the team - all played a part - excellent opening hour or so but a nervy ending .

I think we deserved to win by more - credit to lambert and the staff too - now it's the international break and could be a very exciting time for villa fans .

Fingers crossed on that mate 8)

Vlaar looked like he has picked up a bad one. Was really struggling walking down the tunnel. Okore will be fit after the break, but we really need Vlaar in there because he has carried his WC form into the League.
My Old Man
My Old Man

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Aston Villa v Hull City match thread

Post by Jim Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:33 pm

Disgraceful from hull on grealish. Fucking disgusting behaviour.

As i said in the opening post, Hull were knackered from Thursday night and should be quietly grateful they got knocked out the europa league, we did what I hoped we would do, don't let them settle and keep working them, the passing between westy, delph, zogg and the front 2 was wonderful to watch and hopefully a sign of things to come, and the defence looks much more solid with Hutton and cissokho although hull did get through a little to easy a couple of times guzan mopped up very well

Absolutely thrilled with our performance because for me, its the first time in years we have had a go from the whistle and kept at it for a length of time, normally we take the lead and sit back to use the counter, today was refreshingly different.

Its onwards and upwards, if we can get through the next 5 games relatively unscathed and pick up some points hopefully we will not be shitting our pants about relegation come April.

Jim
Jim

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 0_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyAV Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:34 pm

If I was the ref I'd have brought the Hull captain over after the third Grealish foul and explained the next person to foul him would be sent off...

Possession from long balls looked appalling and yet I didn't see Guzan rolling the ball to Cissokho or Hutton for them to move upfield, it's essentially the same as before with the opposition attacking, Guzan getting possession, punting it long to people who don't seem capable of winning long balls and giving it right back to the opposition again with an invitation to have another pop at goal. Just because the defence is now looking good it doesn't mean we have to show off about it.

A good first half, shame the tactics in the second involved defending and giving the ball away at every sniff of posession. But goals from Gabby and Andi, which is only a good thing...
FoxyAV
FoxyAV

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 4_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Thinman Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:45 pm

All in all a great win. Would have struggled last season.

Call me picky but I was irritated by Sanchez giving away a needless free kick which led to their goal. Still looks like Makoun2 to me.
Thinman
Thinman

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 2_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by villashrew Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:52 pm

Thinman wrote:All in all a great win. Would have struggled last season.

Call me picky but I was irritated by Sanchez giving away a needless free kick which led to their goal. Still looks like Makoun2 to me.

It's early days for him yet to be saying things like that? He has a much better touch and range of passing not to mention a physique that can handle the physicality of the prem. Once he gets up to speed and used to it I am pretty confident he will come good.
villashrew
villashrew

Back to top Go down

Post by Green Villan Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:56 pm

Great 1st half, shite 2nd half.
Green Villan
Green Villan

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 3_star10

Back to top Go down

Post by Withes Sweatbands Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:00 pm

Trotters wrote:First half was incredible. We were utterly dominant. But potato head was always going to adjust because he's a good manager. Lambert couldn't change tactics to suit and we were very lucky (thanks, Guzan!) to hang on.

We went from stringing a dozen passes together to not even able to get the ball.

Still, up to 3rd place on the table (??)

3rd place is just not good enough .. I think having to go through the champions league qualifiers next season will be totally unacceptable ... better pull their fingers out !!! Scarf Waving Scarf Waving Scarf Waving
Withes Sweatbands
Withes Sweatbands

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:05 pm

If a takeover happens this week - I will be interested to find out lamberts fate - has he bought himself more time or will the decision have already been made on his future?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:10 pm

official site wrote:

Paul Lambert's side make it seven points from a possible nine in fast start.

Villa equalled their best start to a Premier League season as Gabby Agbonlahor and Andi Weimann crowned a scintillating first-half performance with well-taken goals.

Victory over Hull City meant Paul Lambert's men have taken seven points from their first three Barclays Premier League games - a feat last achieved in Martin O'Neill's debut campaign eight years ago.

Agbonlahor, the club's leading Premier League marksman, opened the scoring with a well-struck low shot in the 14th minute, with Weimann doubling the lead on 36 minutes following a delightful move.

It could have been 3-0 by the break, Ashley Westwood's free-kick hitting the woodwork, and although Villa could match their first half heroics after the break, they stood firm for three important points after Aly Cissokho had been unfortunate to deflect a Nikica Jelavic header into his own net in the 74th minute.

The result was a perfect antidote to the disappointing Capital One Cup defeat by Leyton Orient in midweek and will give the claret and blue faithful hope of a successful season.

A swift, flowing move almost ended with Villa going ahead inside two minutes.

Agbonlahor and Weimann linked superbly before Fabian Delph timed his run perfectly to unleash a rising left-footer which grazed the outside of a post.

And the home side's impressive early play was rewarded when they deservedly took the lead.

The ball broke to Charles N'Zogbia, and the midfielder played a smart pass to Weimann, who quickly switched it to Agbonlahor just inside the penalty area.

Despite being surrounded by opponents, the striker swivelled to send a low right-foot shot past keeper Allan McGregor and into the bottom corner.

A couple of minutes later, hopes of a second goal were raised when Agbonlahor broke down the left and tried to set up Weimann, only for Michael Dawson to slide in and get the ball away for a corner.

Most of the visitors' early threat had been restricted to high balls which were competently handled by Brad Guzan, although Hull almost found a way through via the low road in the 31st minute when Tom Huddlestone's skidding free-kick deflected off Weimann and sneaked just past Guzan's left-hand upright.

But on 36 minutes Villa doubled their advantage.

Delph won possession and played a short pass to Agbonlahor, who knocked it wide to Richardson. The midfielder was equally precise with his pass across the face of goal and Weimann controlled with his right foot before firing home with his left from eight yards.

It was nearly three in the 40th minute, Agbonlahor's fierce left-foot drive striking McGregor's right foot - and Westwood went even closer with a curling free-kick which hit the post after Delph had been brought down by former Villa man Curtis Davies just outside the penalty area.

As the first half went into stoppage time, Guzan needed treatment after taking a knock on his head as he was fouled by Dawson, before Huddlestone's drive went behind off Philippe Senderos.

But Villa regained the initiative at the start of the second half, Senderos venturing forward to meet Westwood's free-kick with a header that was saved by McGregor before Richardson tied his luck with a shot which was too high.

With Villa in control, though, there wasn't nearly the same urgency in the second half that we had seen before the break.

The home side were certainly grateful when skipper Ron Vlaar cleared a menacing Stephen Quinn cross, and on 74 minutes the Tigers reduced the deficit.

Sub Robbie Brady's free-kick was flicked on to Jelavic, and Cissokho had the misfortune to get in the way of the striker's far post header and divert the ball into the opposite corner.

Delph tried to get Villa back into top gear with a forceful run before firing narrowly wide, but almost immediately Guzan had to be at his best to preserve the lead, the keeper brilliantly tipping over Jake Livermore's powerful drive from just outside the area.

Both teams were close to scoring in added time, Bent dragging a low shot just past the far post following Westwood's fine reverse pass and Guzan doing well to block a shot on the turn from Hull sub Sone Aluko.

Villa then had to play out the game with 10 men after Vlaar limped off injured, having used all three subs, but they held on for victory.

VILLA: Guzan; Hutton, Senderos, Vlaar, Cissokho; Westwood, Delph; N'Zogbia (Sanchez 64), Richardson (Grealish 75), Weimann; Agbonlahor (Bent 85). Unused subs: Given, Baker, Bacuna, Cole.

HULL: McGregor; Davies (Rosenior HT), Dawson, McShane; Elmohamandy, Livermore, Huddlestone (Aluko 71), Quinn, Robertson; Ince (Brady 57), Jelavic. Unused subs: Harper, Bruce, Meyler, Sagbo.

Back to top Go down

Post by VillaBill Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:19 pm

Super showing first half but they must of had sleeping tablets in their half time cuppa, but a well deserved 3pts, we were as fluid as I have seen for a while first half & Gabby just about deserved MOTM for me !
On a side issue, I owe an apology to Sendeross, he has been IMO the player of the season so far !
I think 7 from 9 is as much as any of us could of hoped for, tough fixtures coming up , but I wouldn't expect us to be steam rolled anywhere ! UTV !
Lambert can still do one though !
VillaBill
VillaBill

Back to top Go down

Post by villabromsgrove Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:25 pm

I'm really hoping Arse don't score again, even though I've got three Arsenal players in my fantasy team. If they draw we stay third in the table for the next couple of weeks. cheers
villabromsgrove

Back to top Go down

Post by Villa_Dan Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 pm

The 1st half was easily the best I have seen us in quite a while. We took Hull apart with our passing game and movement. 2nd half Hull changed it up a bit and we lost some of our bite. We weren't closing their space down as quickly and it lead to some nervy moments.

But all in all a good 3 points, and the defence still look miles better than last season.

Clattenberg was fucking awful though. Can't stand that perma-tanned tosspot
Villa_Dan
Villa_Dan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 pm

Paul Lambert hailed his team as excellent as they saw off Hull 2-1 in a sun-drenched Villa Park.

Lambert thought his players were outstanding in the first-half - particularly Gabby Agbonlahor - and insisted they should have been further ahead at the break.

The boss knew the Tigers would force the issue after the break and, for that reason, he was thrilled that the claret and blues held on for what was a thoroughly deserved three points.

He said: "I thought in the first half we were outstanding.

"The game plan worked and the tactical aspect of the game was fantastic against a very good side - it's a hard system to play against at times - the three at the back.

"I think if we'd scored another couple of goals, no-one could have begrudged us that. That would have made the second half a little more at ease.

"But first half was excellent.

"I thought Gabby Agbonlahor was, especially in the first half, unplayable - with his running power and his speed. He was excellent.

"But, also, I thought the movement of the midfield was terrific.

"I thought the way we played was excellent. The movement and passing was so sharp - the rotation of the lads and the willingness to go and win a game - was excellent.

"Hull put us under pressure in the second half which I knew they would. But the important thing was to see it through. That was a big result for that.

"Overall, it's been a terrific start from us and hopefully we can keep it going."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:38 pm

Well done Villa. Keep it up lads. UTV.

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:30 am

Incredible first half - some of the best football I've seen from Villa for ages. We even managed to keep the ball from a throw in!

2nd half was massively disappointing. We showed that we could build from the back so why continually hoof it? Mindless football.

5 more minutes and it would have been two dropped points, I'm sure.

However, hopefully Keane will be getting lads practising more of that first half control/pass/move and we'll be able to have a go at the big boys. I fear though that the tactics for the next few weeks will be to sit deep and counterattack.
Trotters
Trotters

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by Alpe_DHuez Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 am

I think we just ran out of puff in the second half. I don't think the players were told to hoof or really wanted to they just all seemed to have very little energy by the end. Onward and upward.
Alpe_DHuez
Alpe_DHuez

Back to top Go down

Post by Trotters Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:37 am

With the effort of the first half you could be right but when Westwood was chatting with lambert he wasn't even breathing hard.

I suspect it was the typical Villa "sit deep and hoof" routine.
Trotters
Trotters

Aston Villa v Hull City match thread - Page 5 5_star13

Back to top Go down

Post by pcfbavfcoman Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:30 am

Good overall performance and 3 much needed points, I have slated him for a while now, but that was obviously the old Gabby, well done son and I thought we lost alot of shape when he went off for Bent.
Grealish , "Kick me and I just smile at you"
Hard games coming up, but 7 out of 9 is very very important.
pcfbavfcoman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5